View Full Version : Anyone here code php websites for fun?

kappaknight
03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
As some of you know, I'm working on a MySpace of sorts for the reefing community. The basic shell is done, but the amount of cool stuff I can personally add to it is about to hit its limit. I was wondering if anyone here actually is a pro at php and wouldn't mind helping.

If interested, let me know, thanks.

mojo
03-15-2007, 10:40 AM
If you have some specific questions, drop me an email. I can't really commit the time to working on another project...

burdundi
03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry, I'm .net/c#. If you need any help in that, let me know.

piznac
03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Im gonna have to ditto what mojo said. I would love to help,.. but Im afraid my time is limited. But feel free to PM me with anything you want.

kappaknight
03-15-2007, 1:55 PM
Yeah I know Chris loves these web projects but is super duper busy... that's why I'm looking for programmers who like to write fun code in their spare time. The project could grow pretty big in the long run but I do need someone who loves writing code vs. me, who can do it but it's not my core competency.

piznac
03-15-2007, 2:10 PM
Well what is it you are looking for?

kappaknight
03-15-2007, 3:12 PM
The website I'm working on is www.reeftraders.org (http://www.reeftraders.org) It's a social network for reefers who are interested in trading frags. Here's an example of my profile: http://www.reeftraders.org/members.php?mid=392702db77b6f45633cb0238c4443db4

Basically the goal is, you sign up, you sign up your friends and together you can find out if the coral you desperately want actually exists in one of your friends' tanks. (This way, instead of paying highway robbery prices, maybe you can just ask for a frag.) There are also some other perks in there... but they will be developed over time.

Anyway, the initial site is mostly done but there are some additional forms w/ error checking that needs to be coded as well as maybe just better ways to implement CSS and layout overall. I am currently doing all the db work and the coding but I don't think my code is great. DB wise I can do it all but coding is where I'm having issues concentrating. Also, I'm looking for people who can implement fun code in interesting ways... bonus if you've worked with ajax, web 2.0 stuff, css layouts, etc.

On another note, I'm also looking for people to sign up and offer feedback on some of the functionalities thus far. Maybe we can trade a frag in the process... :)

piznac
03-15-2007, 3:54 PM
Well this looks very good so far,. but prehaps Im dense,.. but where do I register?

kappaknight
03-15-2007, 4:00 PM
It's invite only for now. I'll send you an invite.

piznac
03-15-2007, 4:25 PM
Ok cool,.. I have registered and I will try to take a look around tonight. Looks like a great idea.

kappaknight
03-15-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks! It's a fun project... and once there are more people on it it should be more fun to browse around to check out our friends' collections. One of the thing that has been a big surprise is how much nice stuff my friends have that I never knew about. Not that I'd nag them for frags but at least if I'd known, I wouldn't have to shop the entire web to find them at outrageous prices.