View Full Version : OVERSIZED ca reactor?

SnowManSnow
10-22-2009, 12:34 PM
does it do any good to oversize a ca reactor for your system. I was looking at at GEO612 for my 120. I can purchase a 618 from a fellow reefer for about the same price.

i belive the 612 would be adequate.. but should i over size it ... like skimmers?

thanks.

b

James S.
10-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Curious myself...I would guess since the Co2 is controlled by your PH that it would possibly run less and consume less Co2 since there is so much media being broken down. Interesting question...

LilRobb
10-22-2009, 1:16 PM
I run a CR4 (rated for 575gallons) on a 55gallon.

SPS growth exploded and coraline alage takes over the glass panes every 5 days LOL

James S.
10-22-2009, 1:22 PM

SPS growth exploded and coraline alage takes over the glass panes every 5 days LOL

How often does it run? Any negatives you have experienced?

LilRobb
10-22-2009, 1:27 PM
It runs 24/7 with a bubble count of i every 2sec, Ph stays at 6.7 and no negatives at all.

I should mention that I didn't buy the reactor for my 55 - but using it there until the 225 takes off.

Robb

ichthyoid
10-22-2009, 1:52 PM

Hey, if I build one big enough maybe I can get the coralline to grow over my house. No paint job! Cha-ching...sweet!

ares
10-22-2009, 2:53 PM
generally speaking, you cant really oversize a calcium reactor. the calcium level in your tank is more limited by chemistry then how fast you can dump calcium into it... eventually it would precipitate out if you went nuts with it.

a larger reactor really only permits you to store more media, means you can dissolve more media and wait longer to replace it.

dont confuse the wording there, its not that you CANT dissolve more media, I could take a pickle jar reactor and pump tons of CO2 and water through it and dissolve it in an hour to support the georgia aquarium reef tank. but Im not signing up to refill that pickle jar every hour :p

the parameters that matter are the flow through the reactor and the PH in the reactor. neither are dependent on the size of the reactor.

SnowManSnow
10-22-2009, 5:28 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. It would only prolong replacing media. I think I'll just go w the 612 or the like instead of a bigger one and dishing out 350 to someone I don't even know, and who may or may not ship the item

Schwaggs
10-22-2009, 6:25 PM
generally speaking, you cant really oversize a calcium reactor.

+1 just reduce the flow and CO2 administration rate and a huge reactor could run a nano. Same goes the other way, a tiny reactor could service a huge tank. The big difference being how often the media needs to be replaced.

SnowManSnow
10-22-2009, 6:38 PM
Understood

Skriz
10-22-2009, 9:02 PM
out of curiosity, why the geo?

SnowManSnow
10-23-2009, 4:48 PM
out of curiosity, why the geo?

I have looked at MRC. From net reviews the 2 units appear pretty = as far as satisfaction. www.premiumaquatics.com is offering a GEO unit and package at a pretty good price. Here is the link.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PA-GEO612HD&Category_Code=CRpackage

The + is that it comes with everything I need, including reef fanatic controller and regulator. Again, in reviews the reef fanatic brand seems pretty nice.. especially the controller.

With different components it would cost $575..(with media, tank, controller, pump, and probe holder) and i wouldn't THINK the SMS controller would be as strong as the reef fanatic or the regulator (Although I admit I don't know much about the SMS brand)

The package above is $670. (100 more... the same with spray bar) I guess my sticking point is the brand of controller and regulator.. Even though I know MRC does great construction work.

B

Mockery
10-23-2009, 4:55 PM
If you become a member you get 10% off. And that is good at every sponsor for a full year.

SnowManSnow
10-23-2009, 5:08 PM
If you become a member you get 10% off. And that is good at every sponsor for a full year.

I did consider that haha. :)

still... has anyone used this brand of controller and regulator for an extended period of time?

B

SnowManSnow
10-23-2009, 5:15 PM
btw.. im not insulting anyone's product or reef setup... its just that I'm having to go on what i know (which, admittedly isn't a LOT about the brand's at hand).

SnowManSnow
10-23-2009, 5:15 PM
err... brandS

Skriz
10-24-2009, 8:55 AM
Fair enough. :)

MRC used to carry reef fanatic controllers. So many were returned defective, that the entire inventory (new) was placed in the dumpster. This was a while ago now, so I don't know if they've made any improvements or not.

Ever since switching to Milwaukee brand controllers, there have been zero defective units. The American marine pinpoint controllers are better, but also double the price. I think the milwaukee is hard to beat for the price.
Also, take into consideration the spray bar. It more evenly dissolves the media, saving you co2, media & maintenance.

SnowManSnow
10-24-2009, 9:14 AM
What brand is the regulator that mrc sells? Doesn't the website just say "regualtor". Maybe I'm overlooking something.
All on all the regulator and controller are NOT things I'm willing to skimp on... Doesn't matter how great the eactor is on your system if these 2 components are lacking.

Just trying to do my homework b4 spending.

SnowManSnow
10-24-2009, 9:36 AM
Reactor. There r 2 reef fanatic controllers out there. I found them both at www.diyreef.com . One is $189 and one is $99.

SnowManSnow
10-24-2009, 9:37 AM
Btw. How would my rkl stack up againt these controllers if I added a sl1 and probe??

Skriz
10-24-2009, 10:22 AM
By no means should you skimp on the controller, but don't make your decision on the reactor based on a controller that you can choose to buy elsewhere. The pinpoint and milwaukee are superior to the reef fanatic.

The MRC regulator is a JBJ. It's one of the best we've used. Another good one was the gen-x regulator, but you can't find those anymore. I also like the $200 regulator from that planted aquarium site (can't recall the exact name right now)

If you can control the reactor with your rkl, then go for it. Can you still monitor the tank ph? If son that'd be what I'd do.