View Full Version : MH bulbs for a frag tank

AugustaSalty
09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm about to order bulbs for my frag tank so I can get this jerry rigged light set up off of here. Because these are what I the ballasts I had lying around, this will be the light set up. 2-175 watt mogul bases, and two 150 watt HQIs.

I would like 1 set to be 14ks and 1 set to be 20ks. Which set should be which kelvin, and what brand bulbs should I go with? I'm not looking for the fastest growth in the world, but I would like great color?

WILLIAM1
09-09-2009, 11:57 AM
This would be for the 65 gallon frag tank Im assuming? What are the deminsions of the tank. Thats alot of light for a frag tank not saying you shouldnt do all 4 lights but IMO I think the 2-175watt lights would be just fine.

AugustaSalty
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
agreed, that i dont need them all, but i have the HQIs lying around collecting dust, so why not. Yes its for the 65, the dimensions are 4'x2' by about 18-20 deep. The lights are going to be mounted fairly high above the water because I'm tall and dont want to be sliding in under them constantly. There are two sections in the tank, the main one is about 3' wide and thats where most of the frags are. There is a 1'x2' section that I may do anemone's in, or i may use to store liverock, or i may do more frags in. I haven't decided. I wanted to do the MHs in a straight line so that eventually I could throw some t5's on there (i'm sick, my addiction to light knows only the bounds of what won't boil my water.)