View Full Version : Starting Up A Web Site Using VBulletin...... Who can and who wants to make alil $$$$$

Dakota9
08-28-2009, 11:02 AM
A Friend wants to start up a basic website using VBulletin. Who has experience, has the TIME and would like some extra cash?

Pretty basic sports site.....

Dave Green
08-29-2009, 7:31 AM
I've built a lot of websites, none with vBulletin, but if it's like a lot of other softwares, it's a process like everything else. My sites start at $600 (I know.... dirt cheap for websites).

Eddie
08-29-2009, 9:50 PM
It takes 5 minutes to set up vbulletin using their simple instructions.

Why would you pay anyone anything to do that?

:)

Dave Green
08-30-2009, 12:00 AM
For the same reason I get asked to fix them afterwards, LOL!

In all seriousness, it should be kinda simple to do a basic vbulletin site.

Eddie
08-30-2009, 8:15 AM
Really? Even vBulletin themselves will set it up if you email them.

600 bucks would buy a LOT of vbulletin websites. Have fun with it Dakota!

ares
08-30-2009, 9:12 AM
Im guessing he might want more than just dumping a visitor into a forum page... just a guess. I mean, even this site has more than just vbulletin doesnt it?

Dave Green
08-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Eddie, you bring up a valid point - yes, you *can* get a lot of vBulletin sites for that price or any price that web guys charge... but "ease up on the harsh, dude!"

It's kinda like how a hobbyist who likes to "do-it-yourself" is more than likely *not* going to hire an outside company to maintain their tanks. They have the experience, knowledge and the time to do it themselves and it's worth the savings to do so.

So to answer your question of "really?" - Yes.

About a third of my clients are folks who tried to set it up themselves, or used a free template service or had Uncle Charlie build it for them... maybe it was a train wreck, or maybe it worked as a starting point and they're ready to move into a better representation of their company.

For others, their time is very valuable to them and they'd rather have someone do it for them so they can concentrate on running their business.

That's the boat I'm in on the fishtank maintenance side... I really don't have the time to do it and do it well, so I'm thinking about having someone come in and do it for me (and then after they do it a few times, I'll probably get the itch to start doing it myself again!)

Eddie
08-30-2009, 7:18 PM
Hey Dave - No harsh at all, not sure where that came from. Just trying to help a forum member. I've purchased and set up a couple of the Vbulletin sites myself and they are really simple. Literally - just upload the files and run 1 file - the program does all the work. Just thought he may want to try that first before forking out 600 bucks. That's a lot of money to me, but hey, he may be rich or something - :)

LilRobb
08-30-2009, 7:35 PM
Eddie,
I'm sure if it would be about "uploading a file and running another" he wouldn't ask for professional help...

Eddie
08-30-2009, 7:37 PM
Really? Have you asked him?

Dave Green
08-31-2009, 8:58 AM
Eddie, you're new here so I'm cutting you some slack - you know, maybe you haven't been around long enough to see how internet community etiquette works yet or haven't found how much communication is lost online because all someone has to work with is the words without inflection, tone, facial expression, etc...

A good rule of thumb is that if you wouldn't do something out in the real world, then you really shouldn't do it here.

If this had been a conversation at a bar between a couple guys, there is no way that you would step in and say "Why are you paying this guy? You can have it for free!":o

Would you ever walk into an LFS and tell a guy about to drop a couple grand on a system (non-hobbyists do that) and tell them that someone on ARC is selling the a similar system for $300 (especially in front of the employee)?:eek:

Heck, we're hobbyists! We understand the value of do-it-yourself and give it enough value to allocate time to it. There are companies out there who maintain tanks for people who either don't understand the value, understand the value but don't want to do the work, or understand the value but don't have the time to do it for themselves.

The "harsh" comes from how confrontational your responses were (I'll break them down for you in private if you'd like. I'm not interested in doing something like that in public - it just creates a lot of back and forth out here and really hurts the thread). It was as if you thought "here's some salesman trying to make a quick sale."

Dakota and I have been active in this community for over two years (I waited a few months before I officially joined). I don't look at ARC as a place to seek customers - it's a place to learn about a hobby that I love (and I'm not very good at yet) and to hang with some cool and moderately odd people! :)

That being said, if someone asks and I think I can help, I'll answer... and you'll notice I was straightforward with what I said. I told about my vBulletin experience (none) and what I thought could be done and where my prices start. If it works, he'll say "let's talk about it" and if not, he won't. The thread continues as a thread looking for some help.

However, your comments change the thread from that into a discussion of "what good is a web designer" and into an attack (intended or not) on a semi-active person in the community. It just isn't necessary to go into all that.:mad2:

It would have been a lot more helpful for everyone to say (and I left the door open for it in my first response) "I've built a lot of vBulletin sites - they're really easy to do and the guys at vBulletin will even help you do it if you email them. Have you tried that?"

The same message goes out, it helps more people, and it doesn't take any shots at anyone.:yay:

Dakota still needs to find someone to help build the site, and your information may have helped him do that. So if you want to talk about the "harsh" further, let's do it in private and not clog up this thread any more than it has been. Cool?:up:

Eddie
08-31-2009, 9:18 AM
Hi Dave - This is the internet. And the beautiful thing about it is that you have differing opinions on things across a broad section of people. There are more opinions than just yours, and you feel it's harsh because someone may be able to help a potential customer of yours and it happens to be a fellow forum member of mine that is asking for help from the membership - ALL the membership?? Honestly - let's call a spade a spade. That IS why you seem somewhat irked. Because I am helping another forum member and not you? I'm not offering a service to "steal" your customer. I just simply made one comment about - Hey try it yourself - and the comment was directed to HIM, not you - and you are reading me the riot act and calling me "harsh" for doing that? Are you insane? That makes no sense.

And I disagree with your original statement - 600 bucks is not dirt cheap for a template website - it is expensive. And I have just as much right to say that as you do to offer your commercial services. Now, in my opinion I was doing the OP a favor by telling him that he should investigate doing it himself. Doing a vbulletin forum honestly is extremely simple. And I can assure you that if us three were in a conversation I would have told both of you that same thing to your face. Why would I not do that? Its helpful.

So before taking offense to someone trying to assist another forum member take a moment and just think about the fact that others can help others here regardless of your commercial interests.

Cool? :thumbs:

Dave Green
08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Eddie... respectfully, you aren't getting what was said.

I've never looked at this board as a place to find customers (we're a community that likes to do things for ourselves, for crying out loud!). It's not part of my marketing plan.

I know you haven't been here for very long, so you don't know me - and maybe that's part of the problem... I invite you to look at my posts for the past two years. You will see that I have done no marketing for what I do and I don't jump on everyone who says they are looking for a designer. I use my moniker "Website Dave" here (and everywhere else) for other reasons. So drop this whole "you're just looking for a customer" nonsense.

Now, to what was said... Had you said "Hey try it for yourself," no harm - no foul. It's good informative conversation. But you didn't say "Hey try it for yourself"... you said:

It takes 5 minutes to set up vbulletin using their simple instructions.

Why would you pay anyone anything to do that?

The comment was made *to* him *about* me - and that's where it becomes my business. That's taking a shot at somebody (and you know that)... and that's where you crossed the line between "helping someone" and "attacking someone." That's all I mentioned.

And yes, $600 is dirt cheap for a website... template or not. If someone needs me to step in, then it's either something they can't do, don't want to do or their time is more valuable spent elsewhere.

I'm not debating whether or not Dakota's friend needs a pro, nor am I debating whether or not I should be doing it for him... It's the shots you are taking at (to use your words) "a fellow forum member" that are at issue here. There's no need for that.

Pass the information on... I applaud that! By all means! I said myself that I had never worked with vBulletin before.

I learned something from your post. That was excellent information!

Why you felt that you needed to throw that other stuff in there, I don't understand.

My offer to help you see the harsh parts still stands.

As for your comment:

just think about the fact that others can help others here regardless of your commercial interests.

There you go again... taking shots... Seriously - Look at my last two years' worth of posts and you'll see that's not why I'm here.

Eddie
08-31-2009, 10:26 AM
The comment was made *to* him *about* me - and that's where it becomes my business. That's taking a shot at somebody (and you know that)... and that's where you crossed the line between "helping someone" and "attacking someone." That's all I mentioned.

Thanks Dave - I believe this is where you are getting confused. My response to HIM had absolutely nothing to do with you or your post. If you go up and look at his post and my post you will see that HE said ...make a lil $$$$$ in the title of HIS post and his post content mentions CASH. THAT is what I was referring to in MY post to HIM. But you took it personally. My post was to HIM about HIS post - It had absolutely nothing to do with you or anything you posted. That's what you don't get. I am making a suggestion to HIM about HIS post.

Peace

DrNecropolis
08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Jeez.. What a trainwreck.. Ever find what you were looking for Dak?

What kinda sport site? Kinda touch on all major sports or a specfic sport in mind?

Dave Green
08-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Eddie - look at the context of when you said what you did... I don't take things personally when it comes to business - and I will professionally defend it when it's attacked.

I'll give you that out, though... Doc's right... this is a frikkin' trainwreck (which is why I said let's do this in private).

Eddie
08-31-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree - MAJOR trainwreck.

To the original poster: Vbulletin sites are simple - do it yourself!

So simple even a caveman can do it.

Dakota9
08-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Wow,

I work a few doubles at the p/t job one weekend and see what happens?

This is just like when Xena asked Gabby to kill Hope, her daughter, as her daughter was OBVIOUSLY the spawn of Dayhwak and would grow to cover the earth in darkness someday, while unkown to Xena, her own son Zoran would fall victim to Hope when Gabby once again betrayed Xena. Fortunately Xena makes everything all right again by horse dragging Gabby through the greek countryside, culminating in a musical episode that reunites the two as solemates........

Huh? Nothing like it? Least it changed the subject.

One of my good friends that's a member of this site PM'ed me, as he's going to do it for my friend.

Thank you all for your comments! I love you guys.

Dave Green
09-01-2009, 8:38 AM
Dak, was that before or after that prarie dog popped out of its hole and said "oh, what a beautiful morning?" :D