View Full Version : Question on Lights

cquade7
08-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Alright I have a question that I just thought of. I just got some metal halide light and i know they come with glass bottoms. I was wondering do i need to remove the glass so the light spectrum can get through? The reason I ask is because I know with my chameleons the UVB can not pass through glass plastic and other materials.

Thanks
-Quade

theplatypus
08-22-2009, 11:52 AM
If they're double ended(HQI) bulbs than DO NOT remove the glass.

cquade7
08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
If they're double ended(HQI) bulbs than DO NOT remove the glass.

Yes forgot to add they are double ended HQI bulbs why cant you remove the glass just curious I am new to this hobby.

theplatypus
08-22-2009, 12:56 PM
They aren't shielded so the UV radiation poses a fairly significant risk to you and your tanks inhabitants.

Amici
08-22-2009, 12:59 PM
SE bulbs have a glass shield around the bulb which protect the UV from getting to the tank. HQI or DE bulbs do NOT have a UV shield on the bulb and it will pump a ton of VERY harmful UV light into the tank. The glass must be in place or it will basically irradiate your tank with UV and kill your corals within hours/days and possibly the fish as well.

ares
08-22-2009, 1:20 PM
hmmm I hadnt heard this, but google says reptiles can use SOME UVB light to synthesize vitamin D, something we do also.

I have no clue if this carries to fish, and would be fairly interesting thing to learn about if calfo ever has a Q&A, but aside from that, MH lights emit UVA and UVB, UVA is extremely harmful, deadly in the doses we are talking about, and would hurt you, along with blind you. UVB, not as bad, but probably way over the doses youd ever think about wanting, and would also be harmful. so we block it all. I guess there are some UVB flourescent lightings offered for reptiles, curious what it would mean to a fish tank.

ares
08-22-2009, 1:23 PM
further googling suggests there is no benefit of UVB, and several studies saying fish have natural protection from UVB in their slime coat, but that UVB exposure hurts their immune system.

cquade7
08-22-2009, 2:19 PM
hmmm I hadnt heard this, but google says reptiles can use SOME UVB light to synthesize vitamin D, something we do also.

I have no clue if this carries to fish, and would be fairly interesting thing to learn about if calfo ever has a Q&A, but aside from that, MH lights emit UVA and UVB, UVA is extremely harmful, deadly in the doses we are talking about, and would hurt you, along with blind you. UVB, not as bad, but probably way over the doses youd ever think about wanting, and would also be harmful. so we block it all. I guess there are some UVB flourescent lightings offered for reptiles, curious what it would mean to a fish tank.

ya the uvb for reptile is only 10% uvb and the rest just uv but thanks for all the info I was curious about that I havent even set up my new lights yet still looking for a hqi ballast but was curious thanks for the help :D