View Full Version : Where did all the babies come from??

Marcy
08-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Ok, I have a tank with a fair amount of live rock with many crevices and whatnot. And for fish I have 2 ocellaris clowns, 1 chromis and a Talbot's damsel. The Talbot's damsel is extremely reclusive and I was peering through a crack at the bottom of a rock formation looking for it, and realized I was seeing the silhouettes of TONS of tiny fish. I've never seen anybody laying any eggs (although I'll admit the clowns are most definitely different genders), and because the babies are so small and in a dark recess I can't get a good enough look at them to see any markings. I don't have pairs of anything but the clowns... and I doubt any of my inverts can produce a fish-shaped offspring that swims... can chromises and Talbots mate? I wonder what these guys are. Is there anything I can do for them to keep them from being a midnight buffet? Special food I should get for any of 'em that manage to survive? Help!:confused2:

Barbara
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Are you sure you're not seeing a mysid colony (swarming shrimps that come in from the live rock or live sand)?

ares
08-02-2009, 12:07 AM
unfortunatly whatever they are, soon to be dinner. you can try to raise them, but step one would be to get them off the menu, which means out of that tank and into a hatching tank. then theyd probably need phyto which would take some time to produce yourself, though you can probably buy it somewhere Id suspect?

Marcy
08-02-2009, 7:49 AM
Are you sure you're not seeing a mysid colony (swarming shrimps that come in from the live rock or live sand)?

I am not at all sure, since I haven't been able to get a really good look at them. Do they swim, rather than crawl? And the last time I added anything to the tank it was two months ago... if they hitchhiked in, would it take them this long to hatch, or whatever?

I'm so confused, but still... whatever they are, I'm so happy my tank is supporting more of a little ecosystem than just what I put in :)

Barbara
08-02-2009, 8:06 AM
Mysids are little tiny shrimps, and yes, they swim. They dart, or swarm, and are usually seen in cracks and crevices, in the back of the tank, or in rubble piles. They aren't very big at all, and their motion is probably the most detectable trait. They almost look like bees swarming. And yes, it would take 2 months, maybe even longer for a mysid colony to show up.

Marcy
08-02-2009, 9:29 AM
woo, mystery solved! Yay, thanks :)