View Full Version : Joanne's 28 Gallon Nano started Fri 7/17/09

Galadraal
07-20-2009, 7:47 PM
I just got more live rock today and I think I've got a good amount now. This is my very first experience with a Reef Tank and I'm very excited to see it evolve.

I found a really cool critter but it's disapeared. I did manage to get a picture of it though. :thumbs:

LilRobb
07-20-2009, 7:49 PM
Talking about the featherduster?
If you wanna keep high light corals - you might wanna reconsider the aquasquaping (JUST my opinion, more cone shaped structures would allow more corals to get intense lighting)

Robb

RedEDGE2k1
07-20-2009, 7:59 PM
I agree with Robb, you might have too much rock as well...unless you were only planning to keep fish. Things will grow out and take up all the "water room" pretty quickly.

Regardless, welcome :)

-Dustin

Galadraal
07-20-2009, 8:05 PM
I was wondering if it was a feather duster. Thanks. Are they really shy? He hasn't come out again.

I'm so new, I don't have much of a clue about high, low or moderate lighting or even the names of most of the corals. I talked to Chris at FishScales about wish lists for fish and corals (mostly based on one website I looked at) but we haven't really talked about lighting that I recall.

I was going for caves actually in my aquascaping and I thought it was a little bright and needed more rock.

Joanne

LilRobb
07-20-2009, 8:07 PM
It all depends on where you wanna go with your tank.
Post a list of fish/corals and you will get great advice (and many different opinions LOL).

Robb

Galadraal
07-20-2009, 8:10 PM
My husband did make a face when he saw the new rock I added. I don't care so much for the fish as much as I do corals and inverts. I hope I haven't been over exuberant in the live rock dept. Hopefully, my pictures didn't capture the open space in my tank well enough . . . ::fingers crossed::

Galadraal
07-20-2009, 8:13 PM
I'm heading up for bed but I'll post the list I've got going tomorrow.

I'd love a Mandarin but Chris said I need to wait a year for one of those.

Joanne

HN1
07-20-2009, 8:42 PM
Good for you for taking your time (and for listening to Chris)! Honestly, I like the rockwork and think it could make for a great 2-3(+) fish with lowlight coral arrangement. I'm picturing shrooms, zoas, and acans with a pair of clowns and a paired shrimp + goby. I do like to daydream....

Fish Scales2
07-20-2009, 8:47 PM
The top piece of rock may be overfilliing a bit. I will be more than happy to grab back. Other than that you will be fine. Post your coral list and many will see that you have a good bit of low light coral that will thrive in the tunnels.

Most people reserve mandarins for tanks that are 75 gal or more based on there diet of copepods and the fact that it takes a system of that size along with a few other requirements nessesarry for pod populations to thrive and multiply. If you still want one in a year we will try to find one that is eating prepared foods as well.

Great job so far!

LilRobb
07-20-2009, 8:50 PM
^
what he said!

Chris, I need an excuse to come up next weekend - quick, post a special LOL

Fish Scales2
07-20-2009, 8:56 PM
Heres a tease:

Big Hawiian shipment coming Wed.

GOLDRIM X ACHILLES Tang MINE,MINE,MINE

Flame Wrasse Trios $229

Yellow Tangs $29

ALL NET CAUGHT BY THE DIVER AND HIS SON AND DAUGHTER

HN1
07-20-2009, 9:01 PM
I don't purchase any fish caught with child labor.... j/k

Wow.... I wish I had the tank for that trio bad man!

Galadraal
07-21-2009, 9:35 PM
Thanks Hooked Newbie and Chris as I told Julie today, I like how my tank looks :-) and was kinda bummed I got insulted on it :-(

I like the shrooms and the branchy/ feathery looking ones Julie said were leathers that you (Chris) would have me start off with.

LilRobb
07-21-2009, 9:38 PM
... and was kinda bummed I got insulted on it :-(

No referring to the constructive criticism above, right?

Galadraal
07-21-2009, 9:41 PM
I was just looking at crabs since Julie said my clean up crew would be my next step after my water change. She showed me the emerald crab but I don't like what LiveAquaria said about them. I REALLY like/ love both the Dwarf blue leg hermit crab and the scarlet reef hermit crab.

Galadraal
07-21-2009, 9:45 PM
I always appreciate constructive criticism. I was just hoping everyone would tell me how beautiful and perfect my live rock looked in my tank :-)

cr500_af
07-21-2009, 9:48 PM
I always appreciate constructive criticism. I was just hoping everyone would tell me how beautiful and perfect my live rock looked in my tank :-)

Ah, just getting you primed for the fact that YOU will change it a thousand times and still not think it's perfect...

that is, unless you are different from all of us! :D

It looks really good, though. Better than anything I've done, for sure.

I'm about to watch nervously as my wife does the rockwork on her new 30 cube... and I've been told I can't help. The backseat driver in me is straining to get out.

Galadraal
07-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Barry, thanks. That's exactly what I need! encouragement :D

weaglereefer
07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
There's one piece of rock front and center that appears to be jutting out that rubs me the wrong way, but the rest of the aquascape looks great. Looks like you'll have the lighting for SPS or clams up top if you choose, or for softies and LPS on the bottom and sides.

Scarlet reef hermits are cool and very colorful, but they're lazy. They do maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the work the blue legs do. However I have noticed my red legs to be a bit hardier than my blue legs. If you get the blue legs, get them as small as you can. Those are the ones that seem to eat algae, the larger ones just steal food from my zoas and rics, which makes them unhappy.

Welcome to the club! If I see you at the August meeting I'll have a frag for you (if your tank is ready).

Galadraal
07-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Here's what I've found so far that I'd like to have:
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab

a Mated Pair of Gold or Coral Banded Shrimp
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Red Fire Shrimp

Red Bali Star?
Red Serpent Star

Electric Flame Scallop

Olive or Cowry

Purple Pincushion Sea Urchin

Blue or purple manteled Crocea Clam

Red or Orange Tree Sponge (possibly other colors too)
Multi color Sponge

Anemome (Long Tentaced?) with host Clown(s) - Pink Skunk?

Red Feather Duster
Bright Yellow and Red Fountain Feather Duster (possibly others)

Polyps; Clove, Colony Bright
Red Finger Gorgonian
Blue Ricordea Mushroom
Taro Tree Coral
Loco Lobo Lobophytem
Rasta Leather (spaghetti Leather)
Possibly others (these mostly from one website)

There's a really cool one in Chris' large open tank that's like a thin tree with blue dots on the ends that I think is a coral

Gobys
Neon
Gold Stripe Neon
Green Banded
Trimma
Red Stripe Trimma
Green Clown
Rainfordi
?SailFin
?Yellow Watchman
?Purple Firefish

Blennys
African Golden Midas
Canary

Dottybacks
Springeri
Sunrise
Splendid
Neon
Orchid

Psudochromis
Orange Peel
Magenta
BiColor
Diodema

Bangaii Cardinal (Pterapagen Kaudermi)

*These are based on pics from basically one website; I'm open to other suggestions.

Galadraal
07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks AU01st.

I'm not sure about the one jutting out unless it's the small piece that looks like it has black spikes coming out. If so, I agree and I think I might put it on the sand. It might be a good spot to set my Crocea Clam on -- What do you think?

Fish Scales2
07-22-2009, 1:15 PM
Blueberry Gorgonia is what you saw at the store. Lets talk about the fish list and reducing the amount of fish by removing everything except the gobies. I would only add around 10 crabs maximum and increase all other inverts. Crabs have a tendency to eat your snails. Scarlett reefs are sand sifters and I recomend them always. You have a 150 MH with a 14k bulb so you will be fine putting your clam wherever you want (except in the caves)

Galadraal
07-22-2009, 4:16 PM
I moved that one rock with the spikes to the sand floor. Here's how it looks now.

Galadraal
07-22-2009, 4:30 PM
Chris, I'm fine with just the Gobies. With the Crabs, you said 10 max. I was thinking two of the red and two of the blue legged Hermit Crabs. Do I need more than that? Should I go 3 or 4 of each? Also, how many snails and what kind?

When I got home today, I tested my H20: NH3 = 0, pH = 8.0, Alk = 180, Hardness = 425+, NO2 = 3-5 and NO3 = 0-10 (it's a dipstick for everything but the NH3) My Saline was 31 and SpG was 1.023 (yesterday, I took out a few cups of water and added plain RO since I had displaced the water with the new rocks and was worried evaporation might raise the SpG too high). My water seems a bit alkaline, will that improve when my cycle is complete?

Thanks,
Joanne

Galadraal
07-22-2009, 9:06 PM
I'm looking at a Snail list

Nassarius
Caribbean Cerith
Chestnut Turbo
Spiny Star Astraea
?Astraea Conehead
?Banded Trochus

I changed my mind on the Cowries; I can't see spending that much on a snail

Galadraal
07-22-2009, 9:09 PM
When I was reading about the snails, I noticed the alkalinity for my tank was low NOT high :doh: I've been mostly looking at my NH3 and didn't even consider what the pH was supposed to be

weaglereefer
07-22-2009, 9:11 PM
FWIW, the test strips are pretty useless. Pick up a good kit from a sponsor and save yourself some trouble.

Fish Scales2
07-22-2009, 10:41 PM
No trochus snails, they will get to large. My cleanup crew would be as follows: 3 blue legs, 2 redleg, 1 orange one claw, 2 scarlett reef crabs, orange serpent star, 10 nassarius, 20 astrea, 5 cerith and 3 orange chesnut snails. I would also add a cleaner shrimp and several comensal shrimp.

Galadraal
07-23-2009, 2:43 PM
AU, I agree with the strips; I thought they were specifically for Salt but yesterday, I read the freshwater side. Also, the pH goes 8.0 to 8.4 which isn't very helpful

My NH3 is still 0. My Alk has gone up to 240. My Nitrite is about 1.5 and my Nitrate is 20.

I just got home and there's this yellowy/ orange powdery stuff (algae?) on my sand and on the top of my rocks. My temp is also up to 82.3. It was consistantly reaching a high of 81.9 and a low of 79.4. Do I need to worry?

Sounds good Chris with the cleanup crew -- you da boss! :-)

Galadraal
07-23-2009, 3:08 PM
Here's a couple pics

Galadraal
07-26-2009, 8:03 PM
Here are some pics :D

weaglereefer
07-26-2009, 8:08 PM
What are your readings again? You shouldn't add anything if you're still showing Nitrites.

Galadraal
07-26-2009, 8:09 PM
What's the yellow? Is it sponge? I think I see an anemone also

Galadraal
07-26-2009, 8:14 PM
AU01, sorry, I didn't post everything zerod out. I had Chris and Julie double check my H2O to be sure. I did a H2O change first and then added the critters Saturday. I tested my water today and everything is good. The NO2 = 0 and the NO3 is between 0 - 20.

How often should I check the water at this point? Chris said I could add snails (he only gave me one Saturday and I have a Margarita snail from when I got my second set of rocks) in a couple days. I've got algae growing on my glass.

Fish Scales2
07-26-2009, 8:44 PM
We tested the water Thursday, Friday and Saturday to make sure. I would test for ammonia, trites and trates weekly and 24 hours after any new fish additions. After water tested out properly I recomended a 20% wc and then was the addition of crabs and 1 snail.

The nem looking thing you are seeing is a hidden cup coral or blanophyllia.
The yellow is sponge.

Galadraal
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the testing info Chris. I was going to come by today to see about getting some snails for my algae on the glass.

I changed the timing for the MH lights. They come on 8:45am, off at 11:15am then on again at 3pm and off again at 9pm. The temp seems to have stabilized so I'm hopeful. I forget, what's the minimum time for the best coral growth for the lights to be on?

The Sailfin Goby is still hiding in a cave but I read they come out after about a week. I'm wondering about food also. I did get some decent pics of it; I didn't realize just how beautiful if was :cheers: In your tank, it just looked solid black and was cool enough, but WOW! in the light, it's awesome!!! Thanks again for suggesting I get it.

I'd bought a Topfin "small freeze dried medley" for my freshwater fish but they never seemed interested so I was thinking I could use it for the reef tank. There are a freeze dried mix of Daphnia, Mysis Shrimp and Bloodworm. It says it's "all natural treat for smaller fresh and saltwater carnivorous fish".

Every day, my tank has more and more life. :yay: It's really cool to watch.

Thanks again,
Joanne

Galadraal
07-30-2009, 9:17 PM
These are three different what I think are anemones. Please let me know if they are or if they aren't, then what they are.

Thanks,
Joanne

LilRobb
07-30-2009, 9:43 PM
That's a negative on all three counts for anemones.
I forgot the name, but Chris has like the best liverock ever and these are stony corals.

Galadraal
07-30-2009, 9:44 PM
Cool pics of my Sally Lightfoot Crab

Smoothie
07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Yeah those are coral polyps not anemones. Feed tham at night and they will get bigger and color up. What kind of fish is that?

Galadraal
07-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks, guys. What should I feed the coral polyps? Is the Fiji Gold Calcium good and should I only use it when the Moon Lights are on? (My MH lights go on about 2 hours in the morning then off until 3p and off overnight at 9pm) When would be the best time to feed? Thanks again.

Fish, smoothie? Do you mean the one posted with my first critters? That was a Sailfin Goby that alas didn't make it :sad: It was beautiful and I'm hoping to get another.

Joanne

Smoothie
07-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Too bad about the fish. Just keep up with water changes and that will be enough supplement for those polyps. Get a turkey baster and feed them some mysis or brine twice a week.

LilRobb
07-31-2009, 11:06 AM
My MH lights go on about 2 hours in the morning then off until 3p and off overnight at 9pm

So your lights are:

ON
OFF
ON
OFF

during each day?

I have never seen this lighting pattern in nature, wonder how the fish/corals tolerate this.

DrNecropolis
07-31-2009, 12:39 PM
You don't feed corals calcium for food.. I wouldn't add any kind of supplement that you can't test for at any given time... The things you see are called hidden cup corals..

Karimi
07-31-2009, 4:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the fish. Hardest thing for me was losing my harley shrimp to a freak pump accident, can't let it dent your love for the hobby though !

Galadraal
07-31-2009, 9:20 PM
Thanks everyone. There is so much to learn :unsure: it's hard to know where to even start.

I have a freeze dried mysis shrimp with other stuff I originally got for my fresh water fish but they never ate it, can I wet that and place it on the coral polyps? They are pretty much at the top of the tank. I'm not even sure how I would do ANYthing with the turkey baster LOL

Robb, I have the lights set up that way so I don't need a chiller. I know it isn't like that in Nature except maybe Florida where it consistantly rains every afternoon. Would it be better to not enjoy them in the morning and just have the lights come on at 3p and go off around 9p (or possibly 10). How long should the lights be on for the best coral (and everything else) growth?

Thanks again everyone,
Joanne

Galadraal
08-05-2009, 8:59 PM
Long time no post. Sorry

Yesterday, I added a mated pair of Neon Gobies, some frags and another serpent star as well as some macro algae and a minute baby serpent star.

It seems one of the Gobies stays out front and the other is hiding but when I've put my hand in there, the other Goby comes out so I guess they're happy :thumbs:

Today, I checked my water and my NH3, NO2 and NO3 are ALL 0 :yay: My pH seems a bit acidic at about 7.9 but it's been on the acidic side since the beginning.

I also epoxied my first frag ever tonight. When I put it in place, I had to touch the clove polyp. It closed up but was back open even before I put the top down so I think it's happy as well :thumbs:

My Coco worm, I'm not so sure; it seems to close on it's own with no provocation. Earlier, even the trap door was closed :confused: It does seem to come out and stay out more and more. When I first got it, it stayed in more than out and now it's out more than in so I think it's happy too :)

I also seem to be having a bit of an algae issue :yuk:

Joanne

mysterybox
08-05-2009, 9:19 PM
humm.............going way too fast on some things I see.

Galadraal
08-07-2009, 2:49 PM
Way too fast, Ralph?

JeffMuse
08-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Long time no post. Sorry

Yesterday, I added a mated pair of Neon Gobies, some frags and another serpent star as well as some macro algae and a minute baby serpent star.

It seems one of the Gobies stays out front and the other is hiding but when I've put my hand in there, the other Goby comes out so I guess they're happy :thumbs:

Today, I checked my water and my NH3, NO2 and NO3 are ALL 0 :yay: My pH seems a bit acidic at about 7.9 but it's been on the acidic side since the beginning.

I also epoxied my first frag ever tonight. When I put it in place, I had to touch the clove polyp. It closed up but was back open even before I put the top down so I think it's happy as well :thumbs:

My Coco worm, I'm not so sure; it seems to close on it's own with no provocation. Earlier, even the trap door was closed :confused: It does seem to come out and stay out more and more. When I first got it, it stayed in more than out and now it's out more than in so I think it's happy too :)

I also seem to be having a bit of an algae issue :yuk:

Joanne

Joanne,

I have enjoyed the build thread! Nice setup, please keep the pictures coming!

Jeff

mysterybox
08-08-2009, 5:58 AM
nah, you're ok. just be careful. algae would be from nutients accumilating, so make sure you are on top of water changes.

wbrown
08-08-2009, 9:27 AM
feed less (amount) and less frequently for a few days to a week and see if your algae problem resolves itself.
Consider adding a fan ($6 walmart special) to control temps rather than the on/off/on/off thing.
More fish usually equals more maintenance. I have two fish and a LOT of corals in my little tank, and only feed the fish every other day.
just my $0.02

Galadraal
08-08-2009, 9:22 PM
Thanks, Wayne. Will do

Jeff, I'm working on transferring more pics from my desktop to laptop and making them smaller so I can upload them.

Joanne

Galadraal
08-08-2009, 9:37 PM
Here's a few pics before I go to bed

mysterybox
08-08-2009, 9:46 PM
excellent! looking great!

Affectedhalf
08-08-2009, 9:53 PM
Personally, I would go a little slower. Nano tanks are prone to fluctuations more so than the larger tanks. I waited a month before I added livestock for my 20 gallon. Seldom will you hear a reefer say that they "went too slow." ;)

On the plus side, all that LR will greatly benefit your filtration :up: Also makes for a Goby or Blenny heaven!

Galadraal
08-09-2009, 8:17 PM
Affected, I ask Chris before I add anything. I am trying to be cautious but that can be difficult as you probably know :D

Sunday is when I check my water and my Nitrate is up. My PO4 is still up but everything else is good or the same as it's been. I think I really need to do a water change but I've got filter media on order and I want to get the new stuff in before I do my second water change.

Here are some more pics for those of you (which I am one) who like the graphics.

mysterybox
08-10-2009, 9:34 AM
nice zoas, but it looks like you might have an aptasia on it. kill it quick, if it is.

Galadraal
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Is the aptasia the little gray thing? I just noticed it

mysterybox
08-11-2009, 1:09 PM
Im thinking...

Galadraal
08-11-2009, 3:00 PM
I got some stuff to kill off the aptasia

wbrown
08-11-2009, 3:36 PM
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18685&d=1249866979%3C/a%3E

Aiptasia is at about the 3:30-4:00 position, little brown-red thing with tentacles.
they are a nuisance. (http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18685&d=1249866979)

Galadraal
08-11-2009, 4:32 PM
Thanks Wayne, I thought that was what you meant

wbrown
08-11-2009, 5:05 PM
kill it with fire! :)
I use aptasiaX with fair to good results. Majanos are similar, but tough little buggers. Joe's Juice seems to work as well as kalk paste.

mysterybox
08-11-2009, 8:33 PM
Thanks Wayne, I thought that was what you meant

huh?:confused2:

Son of Adam
08-11-2009, 8:41 PM
huh?:confused2:

She will soon say Ralph not Wayne. I see into the future.

mysterybox
08-11-2009, 8:43 PM
LOL!

Ralph

Son of Adam
08-11-2009, 8:49 PM
Crystal Ball is going back on the shelf now.

Galadraal
08-14-2009, 1:48 PM
Wayne showed the pic but Ralph said what it looked like (I think) Also, I think I was typing something and when I was done, there were other posts so I may have gotten confused :blush:; my bad.

I don't know what Julie gave me in a syringe. I got some neon polyps from her that she killed off an aptasia (bigger than was on mine) but I think it came back and I zapped it but I'm not sure if there is another tiny one there of if I'm seeing a polyp.

Here's a pic of the entire thing and then a close up.

Galadraal
08-14-2009, 1:50 PM
More and more of the polyps are coming out so I hate to try and zap it -- it's a BIG syringe and not easy to work with

Galadraal
08-14-2009, 1:56 PM
What kind of fan and where are you talking I put it? On the bottom where the controls and hot area is? I have a shelf with my testing reagents and supplements. I'm also thinking of the noise problem; it's quiet right now

I would much rather have the lights on all day rather than just 2.5 hours in the am and then afternoon.

Thanks

jcusmarine
08-14-2009, 3:52 PM
I run a quad Azoo fan on my JBJ Nano. It points downward towards the rear compartment and blows cool air over the incoming water. I have it on a timer to come on just before the HQI switches on, and go off about an hour or so after the lights go off. I will eventually add a control system to replace the timers, but it works well.

Here is the Azoo fan I use: http://www.marinedepot.com/Azoo_Cooling_Fans_Cooling_Fans_for_Aquarium_Lighti ng-Azoo-AZ71021-FILTACAF-vi.html

I run the HQI lamp almost 8 hours.

Does that help?