View Full Version : Ps3?

GaDawg
02-25-2007, 5:15 PM
Does anybody have a PS3? I am thinking about getting one and wanted to see if anybody has had any problems out of them.

tpfox
02-25-2007, 6:07 PM
No problems, no overheating, great for playing regular and blu-ray dvds, games are really awesome.

TPFox

Big D
02-25-2007, 6:17 PM
I like my 360 more... Got them both on a 42" Plasma, I guess I'm just kinda biased right now though since there really aren't a lot of games out for the PS3 yet... Blue Rays look good, but the HD DVD drive for the 360 is not that much more and it's really hard to say which format will be the new standard. It's just like the Beta/VHS battle... Sony didn't fair too well in that one! That's what happens when you go proprietary :boo: :boo: ...

JMO, hope it helps.

Big D

Kevin
02-25-2007, 7:51 PM
I like my WII!!! that is all I have to say about that !

Amici
02-25-2007, 9:22 PM
Dude forget all of that......ATARI!!!! Oh yeah goin old school on you guys.....but seriously...my friend has a PS3 and loves it and i have to say it looks amazing. TO BE FAIR!!! (and just to tell you I have a 360) The Xbox is not TRUE HD DVD....ill explain. The HD DVD player is connected via usb to the main console. The signal is decompressed off the HD DVD, compressed, sent to the 360 console, re-decompressed again and then sent via component to the tv. Now because of all of this there is a slight loss in signal quality. 95% of people wont notice it but I sold high end home theatres for a few years and got trained to be very critical of it. Now with that being said, the hd dvd is still much better than the normal dvd and functionality is great. The blu-ray on a PS3 has none of these issues and will win out the true quality battle but its pretty negligable. And for the debate on who will win out, my money is on neither, Blu-ray has a BUNCH of companies backing and HD DVD has microsoft which could buy most of the companies backing blu-ray. My money is on the fact that there will just be two different hd dvd formats and it wont be an issue because all players will be HD DVD/Blu-ray compatible. I believe LG already has one planned.

Big D
02-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, before I ventured into this great hobby of ours, I was very much into high end theatre (are there any cheap hobbies?)... Hey, I can program a Pronto in my sleep:roll: ... I completely agree on any loss due to compression/decrompression, but seeing as how I don't own a 1080P display, which most peeps don't right now, I think it would be very hard for an average person to distinguish. My opinion (I know, everyone's got one) as posted earlier is more along the lines of user interface and functionality. I should have explained this more I suppose. When I powered on my 360 for the first time, WOW, that's impressive!!! When I powered on my PS3, I had to configure it just to get it to put out sound and display the picture correctly :boo: . Then, the menu is almost identical to my PSP-what a joke, and I paid $600+ for this thing!!! Like I stated earlier, I have them both on the same display and same surround system, for the price difference, 360 wins in my eyes hands down. But then again, this is just my opinion...

Big D

Amici
02-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Good post Big D, I have yet to set up a PS3 and wasnt aware of that. I guess I am one of the few lucky ones to have a 1080P and can see a little difference btw the two but not enough to justify the other 400-500 bucks.....i mean come on thats 5 nice acros, a WHOLE BUNCH of softies or a few LPS or a school of fish. +1 Rep Big D

brad
02-25-2007, 10:32 PM
my brother has a ps3, and it is amazing...

cdub
02-25-2007, 11:30 PM
i have a 360 and a wii. so far i love the xbox and i don't know how you can have much better graphics than gears of war. zelda on wii looks awfully good in 480p, but does not have the punch of the 360 at 720p. that being said i think its a crap shoot b/c if you really love nintendo games you can deal with slightly worse graphics for a new controller function.

Big D
02-26-2007, 7:33 AM
Good post Big D, +1 Rep Big D

Thanks Dawgdude... And back at you, hopefully this thread will allow him to make a good decision. I may be completely off, he may have a 1080p display in which case, I would be chomping at the bit to get one just to see how good the picture truly can be.

The other side of this is of course, if you are planning on getting a Blue Ray DVD player within in the next few months, then I would definately say buy the PS3, you'll get so much more for your money.

Big D

Amici
02-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah I agree Big D, its actually cheaper to buy a PS3 than to buy a stand alone blu-ray. From new egg a Sony Blu-ray player is $999.99 and a PS3 is $696.99 at wal-mart with a free blu-ray movie and two games. I mean it pretty much screams to just buy a PS3

blackwolfl
02-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I got a ps3 and i think the graphics on it are awesome but only problem right now is that there isnt many games for it. I got a wii too graphics are the best but the games are great.

GaDawg
02-26-2007, 3:19 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I think i will be going for the PS3 for a couple of reasons. 1, i have allways been a PS gamer and did not really like the first xbox and 2, for the blu-ray. And for The not having many games out right now really does not concern me b/c all i really play is football, baseball, golf and other sports games. And i know that the games will come out sooner or later. Thanks Guys

Zanski
03-03-2007, 2:51 AM
Dawg !!! I'm totally with you Ive always been a PS guy forever. BBUUTTTT!!!!!! I made the plunge and bought the Xbox 360 and I must say I will NOT go back to PS. 1. Do you really think Bill Gates will get out done? NO 2. Will "Blu-ray" actually catch on? 3. Gears Of War will be the BEST game for ANY console for a VERY long time. 4. Playstation is having problems with there blue tooth. 5. Yes the ps3 has a 60 gig hard drive, but the 360 has a 20 and I think ive only used a 500 MB of space on the 360, haha. 6. Both very equal as far as performance both can run 1080. Xbox has more memory. And I LOVE!!! Xbox Live. I can play music anywhere in the house from my xbox, I can download the newest movies in HD from Xbox Live with out leaving the house.
Hope this helps... IMO ofcourse:shades:
http://xbox.about.com/od/xbox2/a/xbox360specs.htm

http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/a/PS3SpecsDetails_3.htm

kappaknight
03-03-2007, 6:59 AM
Some things about the Xbox 360 that you may or may not know...

1. MS is launching a movie and TV downloading service on Xbox Live. I do believe a bigger HD is in the works to accommodate all the new HD movies that they will be offering. I won't venture to guess the size, but I remember hearing somewhere it'll be between 80-100gigs.

2. I have a false 1080p Samsung TV, (false being that it claims 1080p but does so due to partial pixel overlapping). I won't get into the details here but I do have the Xbox HD DVD player and when connected to my TV via a VGA cable, WOW what a world of a difference it makes. I tested Batman Begins (both regular widescreen and HD DVD) via the component cable and was a bit disappointed... but after the VGA upgrade, I was able to see real differences in the movie and now will probably not go back to regular DVD's unless I have to.

Also, while I am a fan of Sony's for some stuff, it seems like there's always bad news for Sony when they try to enforce a new format into the market. Not only did they lose the beta/VHS battle, they lost the mini disc battle, the proprietary Sony memory stick battle, MicroMV, DAT and once the PSP fad fades out, they'll lose the UMD format battle.

All I'm saying is, historically, it has not been wise to gamble on Sony for these format wars. Of course, once digital libraries become the norm and everything will be downloaded instead of physically owned, none of this will matter.

brad
03-03-2007, 9:59 AM
3. Gears Of War will be the BEST game for ANY console for a VERY long time.

i have to give him this... i stayed at a buddies house and he just got this, and i have to say this game is amazing... it kicks halo's butt by far!