View Full Version : Move sold threads to new sub-folders or place "Sold/Completed" indicator on thread

Lifestudent
07-06-2009, 9:25 PM
Please consider creating a "Sold/Completed" subfolder within both the "Dry Goods&Livestock" as well as the "Wanted To Buy" forums or some kind of indicator on the thread itself so that we don't have to open the thread only to learn that the item has already been sold (or someone has sold to the buyer what they were wanting).

The author of the thread could/should post such an indicator that the thread is "completed".

This would greatly enhance those of us that search these forums for items to buy or to help someone wanting to buy something.

Thanks,

ga_daisy
09-12-2009, 9:33 PM
YES.....nothing worse than finding what looks to be a good deal. Reading through all of the back and forth of pendings, fall throughs, etc. Thinking....woohoo, its still available, to find three pages into it that the item is gone.

Removal of already solds (or flagging) would be EXCELLENT.

Delloman
09-12-2009, 9:54 PM
there is realy no way to do this but by hand they could add prooning to the forum where if there are no new posts after x days they are deleted

ga_daisy
09-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah....I know it would come down to the OP letting the mods know to kill the posting. Suppose it would be nice if more folks just did that. I'm sure there is stuff that people would buy on here but its lost in the older threads. But....once you get a week or so out, well....its just alot of searching, reading and dead ends.

Ok....I'm done griping.

fish_guy
09-12-2009, 10:41 PM
is there a way for the poster to delete the thread?
That would really help

DrNecropolis
09-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Or perhaps like RC where OP's can change the title to sold as it sells instead of having the original title.. That way people would know to keep looking elsewhere.

ga_daisy
09-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Not sure how it is on here with folks when they sell stuff, BUT....on craigslist they NEVER remove their listing. THEN....want to get pissy when you call or email them.

Sorry....seperate rant. Was just on CL looking around for a possible good deal on a calcium reactor and of course checking out the aquariums. I can't help myself. It may be time for therapy!

mojo
09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
The problem with editing or moving is that it requires moderator interaction for each and every one - far too much to add onto the moderators.

I'll check into editing the title, though...

cr500_af
09-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Excellent... that system works very well on the only other board I frequent (non reef-related). Every item that has been sold/traded has SOLD in the title.

Amici
09-14-2009, 10:27 AM
The problem with editing or moving is that it requires moderator interaction for each and every one - far too much to add onto the moderators.

I'll check into editing the title, though...

I dont like it being deleted or closed anyway as a lot of people look up pricing from what something has sold something at before. Could the edit require SOLD be at the beginning of the original title as to still allow easy searching?

jcusmarine
09-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Could we create a button that is only for the thread creator? As soon as the item is sold it would simply delete the whole thread?

mojo
09-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Closed just means that you can't post to it anymore - it wouldn't affect your ability to look at it later.

I just looked into the options I have at hand. It doesn't appear that I can allow the user to edit the thread title without editing the original post (and that gets into all kinds of issues). However, I can allow people to be able to open and close their own threads, which would probably serve the same purpose.

Amici
09-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Closed just means that you can't post to it anymore - it wouldn't affect your ability to look at it later.

I just looked into the options I have at hand. It doesn't appear that I can allow the user to edit the thread title without editing the original post (and that gets into all kinds of issues). However, I can allow people to be able to open and close their own threads, which would probably serve the same purpose.

That sounds logical to me then. Make a post saying its Sold and closing thread.

mojo
09-14-2009, 10:39 AM
In place now. If someone wants to test it and let me know if they can or can't delete their own threads in the Trading / Selling forum, let me know. Obviously, you won't be able to open/close any thread except the ones you created...

Amici
09-14-2009, 10:44 AM
Nice job. It works.

ga_daisy
09-23-2009, 1:47 PM
Thank you thank you....now hopefully members will utilize it.