View Full Version : Adding an BTA

Adisport
06-30-2009, 6:51 PM
I would like to add a BTA to my 29gal. It has been up and running for about 5 months and is very stable. I am running a 150W MH over it. What other things should I consider before adding? How many days do I need to be around to watch its movement so it doesn't kill my other corals? How often will I need to feed it or can it survive on the lighting?

MvM
06-30-2009, 7:09 PM
You should be OK. Feeding is not entirely necessary IMO, but I still feed mine every few weeks. In terms of movement, if you can find a hole in a rock for the bta to attach it's foot, it most likely won't move. The biggest thing to worry about is a powerhead, and that mj1200 you have would shred it!

cr500_af
06-30-2009, 7:15 PM
Yep, wrap all the powerheads. Check out www.karensroseanemones.com (http://www.karensroseanemones.com).
She has a lot of really good info for new anemone owners, including how to protect it from your powerheads. Definitely worth a read!

Adisport
06-30-2009, 7:17 PM
I actually have a Koralia 3. I can just make sure to avoid pointing it at it. My star polyps are near where I would put the BTA and they move around pretty softly. Is there an advantage or disadvantage to coloration? How much space do I need to give the BTA to protect my corals?

cr500_af
06-30-2009, 7:18 PM
The point isn't aiming of the powerhead; it's the 'nem getting sucked into the thing and getting blended.

Adisport
06-30-2009, 7:19 PM
oh, will it walk up walls?

cr500_af
06-30-2009, 7:24 PM
Potentially. Mine has, and that's how they get in PHs. If you spend 15 minutes reading the link above I promise it will be worthwhile.

Adisport
06-30-2009, 7:25 PM
I am reading it now, Thanks.

radha
06-30-2009, 7:27 PM
Just be prepared for it to move EVERYWHERE!! They move around and will damage your corals until it finds a place it likes. And you really can't do anything about it. Of course, cover your powerheads, and all that good stuff, and you should be ok!

Amici
06-30-2009, 7:49 PM
I would suggest downgrading to a K2 or shutting the K3 off when you add the nem. They can detach in strong current and get sucked in the sides of a koralia and shread. IMO a K3 is alot of flow in a 29g and your nem might not be happy with that much flow. I would start off with a green bubble tip since they seem to be the hardiest.

Adisport
06-30-2009, 7:53 PM
I am also being suggested to have two PHs for proper circulation, thoughts?

Adisport
06-30-2009, 7:59 PM
once the BTA finds a place will it still move around from time to time or is it finished?

radha
06-30-2009, 8:03 PM
once the BTA finds a place will it still move around from time to time or is it finished?

You really never know. If it is happy with that place, and you don't add anything to irritate it, then you got a permanent home for your BTA. Now, if he's happy with it first, then you add something next to the home that really get under his skin, then he might move. They will probably move in time, but, like I said, you never know!!

jonboyb
06-30-2009, 8:46 PM
We're all sitting here trying to predict a nem's behavior...LOL. The only thing to expect is the unexpected. Mine stayed still for about 3 months, then took off. I had to use ph's to corral him and he finally settled down again. THen, when least expected it split:doh: Now I have 2 of the buggers in a 28 to watch.

If I had it to do again, I would have NEVER added mine since my tank is slammed with corals and has killed a few on it's walkabouts. My Picasso's host it is the only reason it's still there. If you want to have wall to wall coral, avoid the nem IMO. However, they are one of the most interesting creatures to keep.

And I agree about ditching the K3. I'd go 2 K1's or a Vortec $$$ permitting.

Amici
06-30-2009, 8:51 PM
Jon beat me to it, 2 K1s or even 2 K nanos if you dont have any high flow SPS. Even K nanos are 295gph so you looking at close to 600gph which is right at 20x flow. Your K3 is 850gph which is 30x turnover which is only needed if you have all SPS.