View Full Version : Phosphate Reactor Question

Happy Hounds
02-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Based on some answers I have recently received, on a rapid algae bloom I am currently experiencing, it appears (I need to test, to confirm) that I have a Phosphate problem.

I have seen discussions on Phosphate Reactors. It appears most people like them. My question is....do you put the media directly into the tube, or do you put it into a bag, then put the bag into the Reactor tube? Some discussions I have seen indicated, but did not directly say, that it was better to add the media straight, not in a bag, because the water would perculate through it better than if it was in a bag.

Any suggestions on the type of reactor, and the type of media, I should review?

Thank you.

Cameron
02-22-2007, 12:25 PM
A phosphate reactor is just a big tube filled with GFO and/or carbon with water slowly pumping through it. I believe most do run bagless. The advantage of the bag is easier to remove and replace the media otherwise it offers no other advantage. Although some run it instead of the foam filters on the PhosBan to keep the media inside the reactor.

Two Little Fishes makes the PhosBan which is cheap and on sale at http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=11586&Ntt=phosban&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

A lot of the experts over at reefcentral actually use a canister filter. They remove the pads and just throw carbon and GFO into bags and sit them in the trays. That is what I do, but I already had a canister laying around.

jmaneyapanda
02-22-2007, 2:02 PM
I dont use GFO's for certain reasons, but one of the issues I've heard of is channeling. This is why they are upflow, to try to minimialize this (as it is a fine media). I would think leaving it in a bag would probably contribute more to channeling, so if you have the reactor, I would put it straight in. It makes it a little tougher to change, but probably more effecient.

glxtrix
02-22-2007, 2:06 PM
just remember that you want low flo thu these things, like around 80ghp.

Happy Hounds
02-23-2007, 7:54 AM
Thanks for the info.

One question....what is a GFO?

Also Cameron, I see you ride. What do you ride? I have an older Gold Wing I got last year....love it!

Cameron
02-23-2007, 8:25 AM
GFO is granulated ferrid oxide. It comes in various commercial varities including RowsPhos, PhosPure (I use this since it is pretty cheap) and a few others. GFOs are all created mostly equal so don't overspend.

PhosPure: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13963&Ntt=phospure&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I ride a Katanamonster. It is a 94 750 Katana chasis with a 96 750 GSXR engine. I have made a ton of mods to the bike. I am waiting for it to die so I can buy me a new Triumph Tiger.