View Full Version : :(

glxtrix
02-22-2007, 12:48 PM
so I'm trying to cope right now and this is a good place to do so. Im just going upon my day at work and suddenly I hear the motor on the AC500 go bizzurk, I ran over to it to see what the deal was....somehow my blenny that I bought 2 weeks ago got into my overflow and sucked up the tube and met the impeller at the end. This guy was sooo cool, never touched my clams, and always greeted me at the front of the tank when i came in. Guess its time to plastic mesh the top of the overflow.

jessezm
02-22-2007, 1:00 PM
bummer, man! had a few anemones meet that same fate...

glxtrix
02-22-2007, 1:05 PM
heh I think we've all had that happen with anemones, but those usually survive. This guy, not so much.

Flipturn88
02-22-2007, 1:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that! I lost a lawnmower blenny to a similar fate, and it's quite disheartening.

But the best course of action in these situations is to learn from them and thus prevent a future problem, which I think you've realized. :)

Jgoal55
02-22-2007, 1:31 PM
lee, that sucks man...those fish are awesome....ive been thinking about gettig one but not yet because i think im overstocked as it is....anyway...no we know to msh up the intakes.

glxtrix
02-22-2007, 1:37 PM
thanks all. I know how I'm going to do it, at michaels they have black plastic mesh like stuff that is used for needling yarn thu, I cant remember whats its actually called, but they sell 8x8 sheets of this stuff for super cheap, I'm talkin like $.25 and its totally worth it if you want to cover up anything like this.

jmaneyapanda
02-22-2007, 2:59 PM
that sucks Lee. My lawnmower was one of my first fish I got when I set up my tank here in GA 5 years ago, and is very personable. However, I am beginning to see Mr. Hyde. First off, let me say he is one of the only fish I have that is named- Homer J, because for whatever reason, there face reminds me of Homer J Simpson. But, periodically, Ive seen some of my larger, and more headstrong fish have had some slight injuries lately. Weird, because the most I ever see is light posturing between the yellow and chevron tang. Then I started seeing the telltale kiss signs on the fishes sides. Darned him. He's either thinking he's some sort of fish ninja that can sneak out and nail a big bad fish, and then run back to the rocks, or he's a fish pervert casanova. I am beginning to see what I've read, the aggravatable side of the lawnmower blennies.

glxtrix
02-22-2007, 3:04 PM
hmm interseting. Yeah they look just like homer for sure, lol. I didnt know that they would go after other fish, i could understand if they were messed with....oh well.

JustOneMoreTank
02-22-2007, 3:10 PM
So sorry to hear. I lost my first saltwater fish around 1.5 years ago Lenny the Lawnmower Blenny. He was the first fish that I bought for my 120g reef tank. :( I got my plastic gutter guard material from Lowes or HomeDepot but I paid more than that. Either way it is a great deal and very necessary to do. We should post a sticky for all new reef tank owners (I'm not calling you new or a beginner) with a list of important tips and tricks to get the tank set up and ready to avoid these types of mistakes. Another tip is to install some type of hood or mesh to prevent fish from carpet surfing. Things like that...:)

jmaneyapanda
02-22-2007, 3:11 PM
He goes after my chevron and yellow tang, both of my crosshatrch triggers (which are both 6+ inches), and my scribbled angel, before he had to find a new home. He's certainly the aggressor- I've even seen him do it once. Actually a pretty smart fish, because he nailed the male trigger, and then as fast as he could swam to a hole where he hangs out, and just looks out, to taunt the trigger, which chased him down, but couldn't do anything.

Maveri9720
02-22-2007, 3:18 PM
Sorry to hear about that.

I have Durso's and what I did was use the plastic sewing material stuff and cut circles out of it and then glued them to the intakes of the durso's. That way nothing big could ever make it's way down into my sump, including snails.

But, I also did buy some gutter guard and attached some to the overflow where there were bigger gaps for the return line, but I didn't bother to close the entire overflow, due to the fact that I covered the intakes already.

If you need some black gutter guard, let me know. I ordered some off of the internet b/c I couldn't find any at the local Home Depot. I think I ordered 25ft and maybe used 1-2 thus far and really don't see a future use for the rest of it.

Sorry again about your loss. I know how hard it can be.

glxtrix
02-22-2007, 3:36 PM
thanks maveri but my bud actually has some of that black plastic stuff i was talking about, which is just the same as what you have. Just one more tank, that is a good idea.....funny how some of us have been in the hobby for some time and yet we run into stupid lil mistakes, oh well guess thats part of the hobby.

JustOneMoreTank
02-22-2007, 7:24 PM
Yes of course it is a fact that we are all going to make mistakes. Most of the time I find that it is things that I have thought about doing but just never get around to it until it screws up and then I make the time to get it done. For instance... My float valve that stops my RODI filling up my Brute can in the garage was leaking a little for about a month. So instead of installing the new Kent one that I bought I just put the end of the RODI line into the can and just would remember to turn off the water after 5-6 hours. Well the 4th time I did that I forgot and ended up with ???gallons of RODI water in garage running down the driveway. Now the new Kent Float Valve is in place. :doh:
My wife just got a Chinese Pug puppy. I at least had the brains to install the AC Jr into the side of the stand and pick up all the wires that were laying on the floor before he chewed them up. The AC Jr and wires were all laying on the floor for 2 years or so and the new puppy finally got me to take the time and get the job done. :roll:

glxtrix
02-22-2007, 7:47 PM
I just need to hope my clown doesnt go over that way in the tank befor I get that fixed, but hes or prolly now she is so in love the the toadstool it barely leaves....silly fish.

Vettesarebest
02-22-2007, 7:48 PM
Im sorry to hear this.. But we all learn from our mistakes. Feel better!