View Full Version : base rock/live rock

chitownguy
02-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm trying to go the cheap route here. I am trying to start a 55 gallon FOWLR tank. Has anyone purchased any base rock from reeferrocks.com. They claim you can turn their dry base rock into live rock in just a couple of months. Is this true. You can get 45 lbs of the base rock for $95.00. Compared to live rock at roughly 7.99 a lb. It sounds like a good deal. Or is it???

WOLFIE
02-20-2007, 10:12 PM
All base rock will turn into live rock in a few months with a little seading from live rock.

$2 a pound sound about right

50% of my live rock start out as base rock

Xyzpdq0121
02-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Ya $2 a lb is about right...

Or make your own for penny's on the dollar. Then you can make your own custom shapes and sized to get everything just the way you want it... You would have to seed it anyways so what is the loss?!? Check out www.garf.org (http://www.garf.org) for instructions on how to make it.

Amici
02-21-2007, 1:08 AM
Go to Capp Bay. They have budget rock for $3.50 a lb and its live rock. The only catch is that it does not have any coraline algae growth so it doesnt look as "pretty" but its what i started my tanks with and the coraline growth came soon after.

Broreefr
02-21-2007, 8:14 AM
I have purchased from reeferrocks on three different occasions. I would HIGHLY reccommend them and their base rocks. After a few months in the tank, nobody but you will know which were base and which are live rocks

Cameron
02-21-2007, 8:58 AM
Another cheap way to go if you move fast enough is to buy someones used tank with rock. You have to patient and watch like a hawk, but you can usually find some killer deals laying around.