View Full Version : Leather Stopped Thriving

jfranco71
01-05-2005, 8:25 PM
I have a leather pink in color that has seperated itself into 4 smaller leathers, as it moved itself across a couple of rocks to a more favorable location in the tank. SO to say it left offspring along it's path. The parent leather used to be thriving quite vigorously but, after its separation and move to this new location in the tank, it just looks like it's existing. The offspring it left along the way is growing slowly but, very helathy. My water parameters are within normal. no ammonia, no nitrites, nitrates at 40. Kalkwasser calcium, dry form strontium & magnesium, iodide. All within good parameters. HAVE I DONE SOMETHING WRONG? WHat CAN I DO TO HAVE IT THRIVING AGAIN?

01-05-2005, 10:42 PM
I don't think you did anything wrong -- it just is probably regenerating. Leathers can act strange for long periods, and then go back to normal. Try feeding it directly.

You might want to post this on the ARC portion of the TRT forums -- you might get other suggestions.

Steve

fishwhisperer
01-06-2005, 7:05 AM
What you are describing kinda sounds like xenia to me. How it is pink in color and separated into four stalks. Does this coral pulse? Lots of times xenia will separate and move higher toward the lights? Any way you can post of picture of this?

jfranco71
01-13-2005, 8:36 PM
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. I also agree that this leather is going thru one of those strange phases. I have read more about them since I posted. It looks pretty darn healthy to me and it extends and retract it's small hairs(tentacles), especially when I stir up the sandbed it seems to enjoy it. But, I was just getting kind of worried becasue it hasn't thrived like before. I've had it for 5 months and also, I'm very very new to the hobby.