View Full Version : Cost of not saying hello

boxermark
02-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm going out on a limb here so hopefully I don't get flamed. :sad:

I visited one of our sponsors this weekend. It was quite a drive for me - over 100 miles r/t. I walked in the store along with a friend. There were no other customers in the store. I looked around for quite a while. I even stood next to the staff at one point while looking at one of the tanks. No one spoke to me. Two other customers came in and they were assisted almost immediately. One was a man and his son. The other was a married couple. No one spoke to my friend either.

I appreciate a laid back sales staff but I don't appreciate being ignored all together. At least greet me with a nice hello. I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and would have walked out with some merchandise. As it was I walked out without making a purchase.

I won't bother going there again. I purposefully left out the name of the sponsor. However, if it ever comes in in a private conversation I will refer to the sponsor by name.

A greeting costs nothing.

Kevin
02-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Sorry for your miserable experience.

Flipturn88
02-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Mark,

I should hope you woudn't get flamed for making such a post, either! You have every right to voice your concern.

Being ignored is never right, IMO, and I sincerely hope the store did not mean to intentionally snub you. As an employee at a LFS myself, I can attest from personal experience that I make evey effort to greet each customer, UNLESS he or she looks preoccupied or I am busy doing something else that requires my full attention (like assiting another customer). But, neither scenario seems to be the case in your situation.

Atlanta Aquarium
02-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Mark, if any comfort, welcome to the club. For sometimes now, I thought I might smell bad for not getting the proper service lol but now I know it's not just me. It happended to me at the LFS in the same scenerio as it happened to you. I can imagine if I had to drive 100 miles and had it happened. I would be fumed too. Such is life.

Atlanta Aquarium
02-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Hey Mark, I told you awhile back that my RBTA in the process of splitting and I would sell you one. Well it hadn't split yet!!! I don't understand it. I fell like I was lying to you but it wasn't intentional.

donnyholland
02-19-2007, 12:08 PM
dude I hear you, nothing worst than arrogant judgemental staff... They take one look at you and think oh he's not gonna buy nothing.. Or he's not a girl so I'm not gonna be friendly to him...

In either case I'm the same way as you, I'd rather go someplace that actually gives a crap, even if there selection sucks.

/d

CGill311
02-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Boxermark...ARC has one sponsor in the area that has notoriously bad customer service IMO. You quickly learn who to shop from and who to avoid. It's too bad you had to make that long drive to get snubbed.

That being said, we do have plenty of great sponsors here. :up: I can think of 4 right away that I spend most of my money at. Just put up a post if you need some recommendations!

Cameron
02-19-2007, 1:24 PM
Several stores I have been to fall into the semi-rude group which is unfortunate.

I can say that the people at Cap Bay have always been right on point though. I have been in there near a dozen times now and they always ask me if I need anything without being annoying about it.

George
02-19-2007, 2:40 PM
Kayla, are you not greeting at the door on Saturdays?

Kids these days ...

Broreefr
02-19-2007, 4:02 PM
You might count it as a blessing in disguise. I try to get the majority of my info from people who have funny names ~ like Doc in the front or PHD in the rear.

Sure it is nice to be made to feel a welcome customer, but in a lfs I would much rather be left alone to shop for myself and have an employee available if I have a question, kinda why I go to home Depot instead of ACE Hardware. I also would rather freely shop than having an employee who MAY not be that knowledgeable trying to push something at me to buy,questioning me on my system, or hanging within 5 feet of every step I make because they are worried I may ---- forget to pay for something.

but if you feel slighted, which apparently you do, I would make a special trip to that store and speak with the biggest shot you can find and voice your concerns. If you get that same treatment from the big Boss, well do as the good book says when you meet a fool ~ shake the dust from your feet and keep walking

Keep us posted.

Flipturn88
02-19-2007, 7:44 PM
Kayla, are you not greeting at the door on Saturdays?

Kids these days ... KID?!? Ahem, I happen to be 18... OK, that's still a kid in some people's book. ;)

If CBA wasn't a flourishing store, I sure would greet ya at the door. Only you.

Maveri9720
02-19-2007, 8:15 PM
KID?!? Ahem, I happen to be 18...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember saying that..............:aww:

(Kids think they know it all)

I'm j/k Kayla.

You know a heck of alot more about this hobby than I do.

It's not a number that defines you, but how you act that does.