View Full Version : My 1000-G Tank is for sale - AGAIN...

JennM
05-01-2009, 12:06 PM
I "sold" it March 29 on eBay. The buyer paid a $500 deposit and got wishy-washy about moving it, but decided to come and get it on May 9, which I agreed to.

He emailed me this morning - work hours cut, etc. (I had a bad feeling from the start on this) and now he is reneging on his commitment.

SO.... the big tank is back up for sale. I'll be re-listing it on eBay... stay tuned, and I'll post the link when it's up again.

Jenn

Steve
05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
But you keep the 500 dollar deposit? Hooray! Easy 500 bucks for you Jenn!

JennM
05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Yep. Has cost me to keep the thing this long, plus I paid the listing fees and all that other good stuff.

The listing was specific - non-refundable $500 deposit.

I'm NOT a happy camper about this - but I had a "red flag" feeling as soon as the auction closed... the fact that the guy was just about to be married and did not tell his fiancée that he'd bought the thing was the first red flag :( I am ticked but not surprised that he bailed on me.

Ugh.

Jenn

wbrown
05-01-2009, 12:33 PM
does that mean it's $500 LESS? :)

JessPete
05-01-2009, 12:36 PM
contact ebay. May be able to get final value fee refunded.

DrNecropolis
05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
that sucks Jenn.. Sorry to hear that..

JennM
05-01-2009, 12:40 PM
It means it will go back up on the auction block for the same starting bid as before - $999 with a buy it now of $3500.

Jess - I have put in a "cancel transaction" request - I don't know if that will refund the fees or not (I did that instead of unpaid item strike) - it's in the dispute resolution process right now and I requested that the former buyer please comply with eBay's contact - I cited the reason that the buyer had requested cancellation of the transaction - so we'll see where that goes.

What a flipping inconvenience.

It had 2 dozen "watchers" last time it was up for bid... figures that the one that won it, bailed :(

I had a couple of bidders that asked scary questions *after* they'd bid. I'm very specific in the listing, and state clearly that any questions or concerns should be made BEFORE a bid is placed.

Red flag #2 for this guy was when he asked me to lower the price AFTER he'd won it... Umm hello? eBay is an *auction* site - you bid what you're willing to pay, and not more, hoping the seller will haggle...

OY!

I hope you guys come up for the "get together" tonight - I'm going to NEED a Margarita!

Jenn

elFloyd
05-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Report to eBay... they will refund their fee.

wbrown
05-01-2009, 12:43 PM
'rita frags? dangit dangit dangit I have people coming tonight or I'd ride up there just to meet 'n greet.
If you don't mind my asking, what did it allegedly sell at? Dims?
Thinkin' if my RV sells I can coerce the kid and wife into building a beach at home and save driving to one. :)

schwimmair
05-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear about the tank, I was really looking forward to a hernia on May 9th. :D

Adam

ares
05-01-2009, 1:09 PM
heh, the watchers were probably us. buncha tire kickers that just want to see who buys it :p

good luck with the sale, if you offered it for free, itd probably be a while before you found someone to take it off your hands (and I mean literally show up with the uhaul and 10 guys to REALLY take it, not just respond on the forum that they will ;) )

small group of people that can afford to fill a tank like that with water and salt, let alone pumps, fish, corals, rock, lights, ect.

ares
05-01-2009, 1:10 PM
PS, was he the only bid at 1000? sometimes ebay will give you a second chance offer to the next bidder down the line. if there was one...

JennM
05-01-2009, 1:23 PM
There was a second chance available but that bidder was one that asked scary questions AFTER they bid - which gave me a sigh of relief when they were outbid (or so I thought...)

I just re-listed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=350197050164

Bid early, bid often :)

I do realize that some folks "watch" a listing out of curiosity - I've done that myself a few times. But there were multiple bidders and it did come down to a sniping match at the very end.

I also realize it's a tough sell - not many folks have the space/means to keep a tank like that.. but there are people out there, as well as businesses (ie Blue Marlin :( ) that have big tanks...

There's a home for it someplace. I thought I'd found one - a few times now. I had it on CL for a while and one guy - sheeze I need to look him up - he said he'd buy it but didn't come through - dangit, he called me just the other day too to see if I still had it - and now his number has fallen off my caller ID! I probably threw away the paper with his number on it too - because he didn't follow through... DOH! Well if he didn't step up then, he probably wouldn't now - although he did call me a week ago or so, and I'd told him it was sold. FUDGE.

Oh well - que sera sera - things happen for a reason - this is no exception.

Jenn

Crew
05-01-2009, 1:42 PM
Oh well - que sera sera - things happen for a reason - this is no exception.

Jenn

I dunno.. im still trying to figure out mosquito's

ares
05-01-2009, 1:58 PM
lol, well good job on the 500$ deposit atleast. just keep selling and having them reneg, you could make a decent income :p

JennM
05-01-2009, 2:01 PM
Mosquitoes feed bats :)

JennM
05-01-2009, 2:01 PM
Not enough "income" to rent a space to keep it in!

weaglereefer
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Judging from the current bidding, looks like you may make out alright.

atreyu917
05-04-2009, 11:28 PM
No reason for fleas though :) haha

blu_devl_06
05-04-2009, 11:29 PM
If I could just convince the wife to park her truck outside, then I would have the room for it.....:D

atreyu917
05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
I think you would have to be the one to park your car outside there buddy! haha

Rasbora
05-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Good luck selling it again. When I came by to buy that 55g stand a few months ago, I think you had mentioned you had already sold it once or twice before.

blu_devl_06
05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
I think you would have to be the one to park your car outside there buddy! haha

Don't have one!!! I've been selling cars and driving new ones for so long I sold mine. Now I don't sell anymore I have to buy one!!

JennM
05-05-2009, 2:38 AM
I'd had "interested" parties but nobody put up the cash, so I listed it. It "sold" and the winning bidder paid the non-refundable deposit, arranged a move 5 weeks out, and then backed out last Friday.

As the bidding stands now, if it sells for the current bid, I'll be at the same spot I was when the first guy won, because the current bid is $500 less than what it sold for.

It's a tough tank to re-home - but there's a buyer for it out there. I've answered quite a few questions about it and it has quite a few watchers and I'm sure they aren't all you tire-kickers :)

Last time the bidding was quiet til the final moments - I expect this will be similar.

One person asking about it would be able to move it the next day.

Jenn

JennM
05-08-2009, 1:25 PM
SOLD! $3925! Surprised the heck out of me!

Let's hope the deal closes this time.... not doing the happy dance til it's all done.

Jenn

texhorns98
05-08-2009, 2:20 PM
SOLD! $3925! Surprised the heck out of me!

Let's hope the deal closes this time.... not doing the happy dance til it's all done.

Jenn

I'm not sure I've ever seen something sell for MORE than it's "Buy It Now" price. Good on ya! Fingers crossed it all goes through, but that's going to cost a pretty penny to ship it to AZ.

JennM
05-08-2009, 2:25 PM
Well, the first bidder was the winning bidder - there were 3 bidders, 15 total bids. So the winning bidder had knowledge of what the buy it now price was... that option disappears once an auction bid is placed - but he had to have seen that when he placed his opening bid.

I emailed him - haven't heard back yet but it's only been an hour :) We'll see what happens.

Jenn

ares
05-08-2009, 3:23 PM
the game you play on ebay... you can pay up, or you can try and get a deal... he tried to get a deal and lost :p cant go back from there!

shipping is going to be ugly though.

JennM
05-08-2009, 3:44 PM
Well it was pickup only - the listing was very clear.

The "buyer" just contacted me and has no idea how his bid got up so high... so he's backing out too.

What is wrong with people? His winning bid was placed hours after the last bidder outbid him, and hours passed between when his winning bid was placed, and the end of the auction.

Talked to eBay - the transaction can be canceled and I can offer a second chance to the next highest bidder...

What is wrong with people?!

Now that sellers can no longer leave negative feedback about buyers, I bet this stuff happens a lot.

Jenn

DrNecropolis
05-08-2009, 3:47 PM
Jeez...That sucks Jenn

texhorns98
05-08-2009, 3:51 PM
Looking at the "Bid History", none of it makes much sense. Looks like he was outbidding himself, and the other buyers bid of $3800 and change was done yesterday?

JennM
05-08-2009, 4:05 PM
If you show the automatic bids, the next highest outbid him and his auto-bid kept bumping him up til they both got to $3800, and the winner's bid kicked him to $3925. Next highest bid was $3875 (it went in $50 increments at that point - eBay sets that automatically).

The timeline is weird. When I got up this morning and hit "refresh" at about 6:15 EDT, the bid had gone from $1525 to $2225 - up $700 overnight. Then a short time later, but before 7:30 AM when Brian left, I refreshed again and it had jumped to $3925. The winning bid was placed at 3:53 PDT which was 6:53 our time (that's about right)... and there it sat until it ended, 5 hours later.

Well, if the "winning bidder" cooperates in canceling the transaction, I'll make a second chance offer to the next bidder.

I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be re-listing this thing yet again. At least when people bail, I get a refund of my listing and FV fees.

This is insanity. When sellers could leave negative feedback, this kind of crap didn't happen.

Jenn

blu_devl_06
05-08-2009, 4:06 PM
What an idiot!! If I had the money I'd buy the thing to sit in my garage till I could build the rest..I hope the second bidder decides to get it so you can put this behind you. That's why my wife quit doing ebay. She was making a lot of money doing it with garage sell stuff till they started the new rules.

JennM
05-08-2009, 4:11 PM
I use that account to get rid of surplus inventory/slow movers... I had one problem once with somebody using a stolen credit card through PayPal... but other than that, it's been pretty easy. I've used eBay since 1998 or 1999.

Now that you can't leave negative feedback about a buyer, problems happen. I had one guy buy a bunch of stuff for next to nothing and never pay - so I filed unpaid item strikes. He'd bought from me before, so I gave him some time but after 2 months of waiting to get paid, enough was enough. He'd bid on 10 things so with 10 strikes they suspended his account. I canceled the transactions, later removed the strikes, so he's free to bid again and slow pay somebody else - but I couldn't leave feedback warning people.

I'm going to try the second chance thing... we'll see what happens. If they don't bite, it will be going back up for sale with *another* disclaimer about don't bid if you don't plan to follow through... maybe the third time will be the charm.

Jenn

ares
05-08-2009, 4:12 PM
he has no feedback anyway, so negative feedback probably wont deter him. you might want to stipulate on your next auction that minimum feedback of 5 or 10 to bid, so you dont get the dead beat bidders that just create new accounts every time to escape negative feedback.

looks like c***a bid 3875, K***L didnt know how much of course, so he put in a series of bids higher and higher, presumably trying to find out where the previous bidder set their max bid at since he kept on getting immedietly outbid. then finally he found it and became the higher bidder at a price apparently exceeding what he really was willing to pay.

basicly he was a moron and had no intention of buying the item but didnt care anyway, just wanted to see how much the other bidder was willing to pay.

most likely the other bidder realizes this and knows that if she declines the second chance offer, she will be able to hit up the auction again when its relisted, and barring another idiot bidding it up like last time, she will likely be able to get it for closer to 1500$(the highest bid by the only other bidder)

ares
05-08-2009, 4:13 PM
btw, K***L, whoever that is, has no feedback either... so wouldnt hold my breath.

might contact H***N and see if he wants to make a deal outside of ebay for 1500 and just walk away from this hopefully. he has some feedback atleast, so he is probably legit.

blu_devl_06
05-08-2009, 4:15 PM
Good luck jeenm, I hope you get it sold this time.

JennM
05-08-2009, 4:16 PM
You're exactly right.

This is the second time that a winning bidder has tried to get me to come down on the price after the auction closes. It's an AUCTION... not, "Let's see who can type the biggest numbers, and haggle about it later."

I'm sorta kinda waiting for the deadbeat to contact me back - so I can go through the steps in the correct order.

Well, like I said, I was pretty happy about the "outcome" this morning but knew better than to spend it before I got it.

Jenn

ares
05-08-2009, 4:20 PM
do you have it listed on craigslist? since this item is more or less impossible to have shipped... short of flying here, to arrange shipment, and flying home... might be better with a local sale...

my bid is 500 and trade you a 240g :p hah Id get disowned.

JennM
05-08-2009, 4:23 PM
I had it on Craig's List from November til March. Lots of "interest" no legit buyers. One guy came to look at it, was going to buy it for $3500 but never quite got around to coming and paying for it... I got tired of waiting. Shortly after it "sold" the first time on eBay he called me and I told him it was sold.

When I re-listed it last week, I called him to tell him about it - left him a voice mail but never heard back. If somebody is going to buy something like this, they don't wait 6 months after a deal is struck to make good on it.

I figured eBay was a bit more exposure/safer - but apparently now bidders can back out of whatever without any real repercussions, so anything goes.

Jenn

jeep9783
05-08-2009, 4:24 PM
but you have made 1k free of charge minus the hassle...keep doin it (6 more times and then you would have made 4k and still have the tank hehe)...I use ebay for everything and i can't stand that i cant leave negative feedback for the buyer as i waited two weeks for payment (i sell alot of high end tools) never recieved and there i go again havin to relist and waste my time

JennM
05-08-2009, 4:29 PM
No, I've made $500 minus the hassle - this guy has not put in a deposit, nor do I expect him to at this point. I think he was just messing.

Jenn

ares
05-08-2009, 4:34 PM
yeah, no way your getting paid on this one.

unfortunatly this is definitely one of those things that we all want, and its not even about the money. we just cant have it... if you offered it up for free, I bet you STILL wait a month and 30 tire kickers to see it actually leave the store.

JennM
05-08-2009, 4:40 PM
LOL! Well there's a home for it somewhere. I got it from someone else 5 years ago - and that guy had a 1200 too. That 1200 is in Ball Ground now - I think they've tried to sell it too but haven't tried too hard. That was a nicer tank 10' x 4' x 4' I think.

Jenn

ares
05-08-2009, 5:17 PM
no doubt itll find a home, I think the dimensions are pretty awesome. trick is getting the legit buyer... to be the winning buyer lol.

unfortunatly the deadbeat buyers tend to be far more willing to bid higher since they dont intend on paying it :p

I do think some better photos would help, I know its in storage, so no clue how accessible it is for that. I presume not at all :/ the photos that you have make it look deceivingly small because of scale or whatever. I have to refocus on something to see the true size lol.

JennM
05-08-2009, 5:19 PM
Well the clearest pic is an old pic. The others I had bad light... the tank is dry now, the panels all taken off and it's basically ready to move. It can be seen here as it sits - not as impressive as it was when it was up and running - but it's here.

Something will work out - it always does. Just frustrating right now. At least I learned a long time ago not to count my chickens before they hatch.

Jenn

ares
05-08-2009, 5:33 PM
tell ya what, you can "store" it at my house indefinitely and Ill only charge you a bucket of salt a month. :p

JennM
05-08-2009, 5:36 PM
You want to move it? I don't. That was in the auction too... buyer is responsible to move it.

We have to take out the shop windows to get it out. :) At least it's warmer this time of year - we moved it in in January of 04. It was COLD that day.

Jenn

ares
05-08-2009, 6:09 PM
haha if I can get the tank indefinitely AND a bucket of salt a month. Im sure Ill find something to do with it :p

got any sharks?

wbrown
05-08-2009, 6:37 PM
indoor pool?

JennM
05-08-2009, 6:43 PM
We don't "do" sharks.

It would make a cool hottub though... we had some kick-butt eductors on it.

I just finished exchanging emails with the high bidder, he's made it clear that he's not going to honor his bid.

I could just initiate a cancellation of the transaction but that lets him off the hook to mess with other sellers. I have to wait a week to file an unpaid item strike but I can make a second chance offer without canceling the first transaction - and I spoke with someone on eBay who confirmed this.

I just think it's too easy to just cancel the transaction and let him off the hook - if I sit on it for a week and file an unpaid item strike, it could suspend his account with eBay, and thus prevent him from "inconveniencing" other sellers. The first guy that backed out paid his deposit and worked with me in good faith, so I just canceled that transaction because I believe that when he made the bid, he intended to carry through with it. This latest guy clearly had no intention of making good on his bid, and that shouldn't go unpunished.

I'm going to sleep on it and decide what to do tomorrow. I'm too hacked off right now to make a sound decision.

Freaking people... :mad:

Jenn

weaglereefer
05-08-2009, 7:23 PM
Nah, burn him. Not like it'll matter, he'll just make a new account.

I've only ever had one "Unpaid Item Strike" against me and that was when I bought something and calculated the s/h via the seller's calculator on the page. S/h came to $30. I won the auction for a HOB refugium at $20 (a steal b/c he misspelled refugium and had it in the wrong category). Went to request total and check out and he said s/h would be $120! I was like WTF! And eBay said that he wasn't responsible if I incorrectly used the calculator (despite the fact that similar larger items were shipping from further away for less than 1/4 the s/h). I said I wasn't paying and I was charged a strike...the seller had roughly 40 feedback, and I don't think any were as a seller, and I have 400+ in 7 years on eBay...they just don't care any more, it's all about them getting their money...

blu_devl_06
05-08-2009, 8:03 PM
I say burn him!! At least then he can't use that name for buggin someone else....

I wish I had a job.....I need a bigger tank!!

JetChris
05-08-2009, 8:29 PM
Jenn , I bet if you put it on RC and pmed some of the big names like "melev" and "bean animal" they could prob find a buyer.

blu_devl_06
05-08-2009, 8:40 PM
There's a good idea!

ares
05-08-2009, 11:45 PM
not sure how the policies have changed, but I believe the "strikes" are 3 before the account is actually punished... and given that its a new account with no history at stake... I wouldnt waste the 30 seconds to file the claim. do what you will for the principle or whatever. but its purely to satisfy yourself, wont mean anything to him unfortunatly.

JennM
05-09-2009, 8:26 AM
I had it on RC for a while... no takers. Also had it on MOFIB. And Craig's List.

I may try that route again... sometimes it's all in the timing.

Jenn

JennM
05-09-2009, 8:28 AM
I sent a second chance offer to the next bidder... but I'm not holding my breath.

Someone local also contacted me about it, during the auction but he did not bid. He contacted me again after the auction ended, and mentioned that if the deal fell through again, to contact him. I emailed him last night. That individual seems legit, local and with access to a large vehicle and manpower, so that might be my best option at this point.

I'll give it the weekend to sort out those options, then if nothing moves, I'll make the online rounds with it again.

Jenn

JennM
05-10-2009, 5:00 PM
Listed again... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=350200511270

Let the games begin (again...)

Jenn

crab0000
05-21-2009, 4:38 PM
Any better luck this time?

JennM
05-21-2009, 4:43 PM
I think so ;)

It did sell - to a local this time. I'd spoken to him during my last attempt at auction but he did not bid on it - probably because some deadbeat had run up the bid higher than the thing was worth.

When it "sold" he told me to contact him if it fell through - and I tried but did not manage to reach him, so I re-listed it.

He sniped it at the last minute :) I spoke with him after the auction closed, and again today -he is supposed to be here on Saturday at 10:00 AM with a truck and 10 men.

So tentatively... I think third time is the charm but I'm not doing my happy jig until the transaction is done and the tank is out of the store.

Jenn

weaglereefer
05-21-2009, 4:48 PM
Well, pending updates on Saturday, congrats!

Get some pics, and of course don't forget to mention the ARC!

JennM
05-21-2009, 4:55 PM
LOL - the guy already has an 1100g. Not sure if he does fresh or salt though - I think it might be fresh.

Jenn

blu_devl_06
05-21-2009, 7:54 PM
Alot of guys are doing huge tanks like this for cichlids.

ares
05-21-2009, 8:12 PM
it would be alot more feasible to setup for freshwater than salt...

crab0000
05-22-2009, 8:21 PM
LOL - the guy already has an 1100g. Not sure if he does fresh or salt though - I think it might be fresh.

Jenn

Well, convert him!:D If only, if only we had the room.................

JennM
05-23-2009, 2:20 PM
It's GONE!!!

Windows are back in, intact (thank you Brian & Scott!).

That was a nerve-wracking morning. I took some video clips on my phone... I'll upload them to youtube or summink...

Jenn

JennM
05-23-2009, 3:26 PM
Moving the tank:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxr3O2kW_k4

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYtFLqguP_o

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Hb0nK4W2A

Takes a LOTTA muscle to move that bad-boy!

Jenn

coolsurf
05-23-2009, 3:36 PM
It's GONE!!!

Windows are back in, intact (thank you Brian & Scott!).
Jenn

Glad to hear you finally sold it. What a headache! :up:

weaglereefer
05-23-2009, 3:37 PM
Congrats!

blu_devl_06
05-23-2009, 4:58 PM
I'm glad things went well for you this time Jenn!!

cr500_af
05-23-2009, 6:21 PM
Party at Jenn's!

JessPete
05-23-2009, 6:32 PM
Yay yay yay!

crab0000
05-24-2009, 7:28 AM
Congrats! I know you're happy. I keep trying to talk Rebecca into the 90, but it's not working. :D

twocute2b4u
05-24-2009, 8:36 AM
Congrats Jenn - I bet you are relieved!!!

JennM
05-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Yep - I'm glad (and sad) that it's gone. It was a fun tank when we had it up and running - I miss my fishes... hopefully they are still doing well in SC (we sold them 6 months ago).

Now I have no more excuses to clearing out the last of the junk out of that other suite... Brian did the drywall mud thing on nail holes etc., yesterday and we still have some stuff we need to move over, or move OUT - but we're nearly there. Now that the tank is gone, there's no more reason to drag our feet.

Jenn