View Full Version : Flooring choices for dog lovers?

HN1
04-30-2009, 8:23 PM
We are looking to replace carpet with HW, Laminate, Pergo, Vinyl, etc. (anything but carpet basically) and are trying to find the right option for us. We have 4 dogs that stay in that room when we're away and our primary concern is durability. Also, 1 of our dogs goes absolutely ballistic with load noises (thunder, fireworks, etc.) so we're concerned about her being able to pull up an edge if left in a room. We don't have a huge budget, but want to do this only once. Anyone have an input or experiences they could share? Any DIY advice? Know an installer with good rates?

Seedless Reefer
04-30-2009, 8:28 PM
Well I can tell you this...my dogs destroyed my HW laminate floor the day after it was installed.

Pergo and other laminates like it are alot more durable than people think but claws can and will eventually ruin it.

If it were me I would lay vinyl.

I have tile downstairs and even with grout sealer the dogs coming and going dirties the grout in no time.

I can't find my phone right now but I can give you the name and number of my flooring guy when I find it. He is good and his prices are good.

Dakota9
04-30-2009, 8:29 PM
Learn to tile! It looks a lil Floridian to have ceramic, stone or clay tile through out, but the best thing to have if you have 4 dogs. And if you do it yourself, it won't break the bank!.

Dakota9
04-30-2009, 8:32 PM
Well I can tell you this...my dogs destroyed my HW laminate floor the day after it was installed.

Pergo and other laminates like it are alot more durable than people think but claws can and will eventually ruin it.

If it were me I would lay vinyl.

I have tile downstairs and even with grout sealer the dogs coming and going dirties the grout in no time.

I can't find my phone right now but I can give you the name and number of my flooring guy when I find it. He is good and his prices are good.

Try washing the floor real well, and then applying several coats of Holloway House Quick Shine to your tile floor. That will seal out the dirt, and make cleaning it incredibly easy. I owned a janitorial company for many years, and its amazing hhow clean your floors will stay!

JessPete
04-30-2009, 8:57 PM
They have some awesome looking vinyl floors now! My builder had vinyl floors in my kitchen and breakfast area, and I didn't realize they weren't tile until I touched them.

schwimmair
04-30-2009, 9:04 PM
Bamboo is hot right now as it is a "green" floor. It is also very hard wood and can be sanded and refinished if needed an infinite amount of times. You can get many different colors at Lumber Liquidators or Floor and Decor for $2.00 dollars a Square Foot.

Adam

schwimmair
04-30-2009, 9:08 PM
I can help you at a reduced rate if you want. You can also go on Craigslist and post a ad but make sure you get references. In the ad say that you need someone to install hardwoods for 1 dollar a square foot and you will receive 50 + e-mails!

Adam

MrsMojo
04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
we did tile floors ourselves for the room that the dogs sleep in - it works great - a little slippery with wet feet but only carpet wouldn't be.

theplantman
04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I would go tile as well and it is very easy to lay. Toughest part is being diligent enough to keep the grout moist after you grout it in so it will set up properly.

Kinda like misting a fern.

Dakota9
05-01-2009, 12:14 AM
I would go tile as well and it is very easy to lay. Toughest part is being diligent enough to keep the grout moist after you grout it in so it will set up properly.

Kinda like misting a fern.

Can't they just cover it with plastic and painter's tape till it cures? Thats what they did when I worked in commercial construction. I was a drywall finisher, but had to work around the tile guys, mainly at Phelps Plaza when it was renovated.

HN1
05-01-2009, 7:50 AM
Thanks for the input all!

I was kinda afraid that tile would be the best option... we'll have to mull things over.

schwimmair- I may be PMing you once we decide for sure.

schwimmair
05-01-2009, 8:33 AM
PM me if you need some help, I live in Cumming also!

Adam

RealFish
05-01-2009, 9:19 AM
sealed concrete.

wbrown
05-01-2009, 9:22 AM
You can get different textures and shines on ceramic. check out daltile for samples.
installation isn't hard, just heavy and awkward. Grouting is the hardest step, as you need to rinse, wipe, repeat and change out water in the buckets.
If you are looking for a less expensive alternative now and don't plan to move in the next few years, a perimeter bond vinyl sheet floor is drastically more inexpensive. Installation is easier as you only glue the perimeter, then roll it with a floor roller you can rent from SunBelt rentals for $25 or so a day.
Ceramic is at best a two day process, realistically three days. Vinyl is one day.

jenn_jeffery
05-01-2009, 11:46 AM
sealed concrete.

You can also stain it pretty much any color you want. A friend of mine has two danes with a sealed concrete floor, looks great!!

WILLIAM1
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Have you seen that pressed cork flooring at HD its super durable and I think comes in an array of colors... Alot of stores in the malls are using this in high traffic areas.

mojo
05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Have you seen that pressed cork flooring at HD its super durable and I think comes in an array of colors... Alot of stores in the malls are using this in high traffic areas.

Cork feels great, but won't work too well with dogs - their claws will tear it up, water bowls will splash, and if they ever pee on the floor once, you've got to replace the cork...

wbrown
05-01-2009, 12:49 PM
that's one reason I suggested perimeter bond vinyl. Whats the substrate you are applying to? Wood or concrete? That would be the deciding factor for me, if concrete I'd go to stained/sealed or epoxy and be done with it. Wood limits you to using vinyl or tile, however tile needs a veneer of wonderboard or hardi- board to stabilize the floor or it will crack. Cost goes up considerably with the tile on wood substrate.
Other item of consideration, do you expect this to be DIY or hired out?

HN1
05-01-2009, 1:04 PM
We're not sure if it will be DIY or hired out. Preferably DIY, but neither of us have any experience and we want to do it (or have it done) once and only once. We are on a concrete slab. The only other real consideration is that we're leaning towards getting as much as possible from Lowe's. We received quite a bit in gift cards as wedding gifts. :)

WILLIAM1
05-01-2009, 1:34 PM
Cork feels great, but won't work too well with dogs - their claws will tear it up, water bowls will splash, and if they ever pee on the floor once, you've got to replace the cork...

It is acually sealed very well. They usually have three coats commercial grade water-based matte polyurethane.

wbrown
05-01-2009, 3:25 PM
We're not sure if it will be DIY or hired out. Preferably DIY, but neither of us have any experience and we want to do it (or have it done) once and only once. We are on a concrete slab. The only other real consideration is that we're leaning towards getting as much as possible from Lowe's. We received quite a bit in gift cards as wedding gifts. :)
Lowe's carries concrete stain and sealer, all located in the paint department fairly close to the epoxy floor coatings.
Either is a good DIY project, only requires mixing and spreading. Trim that you may have existing can be supplemented with a shoe molding to close the gap left from carpet removal.
If this area is internal to the house, you may want to buy a couple of fans to move odors out while performing the work.
Advantage over epoxy versus sealer, the floor becomes one membrane that is non-porous. Urine and odors will not leach into the concrete over time and create an issue you have to deal with later if you move.
Even sealer will degrade with wear, dog's nails may exaggerate it but I can't confirm.
If you want the ultimate dog room, add a floor drain, slope the floors and epoxy it. Clean up is a washdown. :)