View Full Version : Chihuahua Puppy Coming Home In 2 Weeks, looking for Small Dog Supplies On The Cheap

Dakota9
04-25-2009, 10:46 PM
My son's new dog (well, kinda like a dog) is coming home in two weeks. We went to pick it out today from the litter. He got a nice brown male like he'd hoped.
Anyway, I'm on a budget and looking for anything as dirt cheap as I can get it.

It is essential I find a small crate. I don't know how you guys feel about crate training, but I'm sold on it, atleast until the lil guy get old enough to not chew and be a little less curious.

A small dog bed

Any small toys

Small dog bowls

small collar

Not really concerned too much with the visual condition of these items, as long as they have some usfull life left to them. The cheaper the better!!!!

LMK

Thank you

MvM
04-25-2009, 11:10 PM
My son's new dog (well, kinda like a dog) is coming home in two weeks. We went to pick it out today from the litter. He got a nice brown male like he'd hoped.
Anyway, I'm on a budget and looking for anything as dirt cheap as I can get it.

It is essential I find a small crate. I don't know how you guys feel about crate training, but I'm sold on it, atleast until the lil guy get old enough to not chew and be a little less curious.

A small dog bed

Any small toys

Small dog bowls

small collar

Not really concerned too much with the visual condition of these items, as long as they have some usfull life left to them. The cheaper the better!!!!

LMK

Thank you
I have a small crate for you. $10. You can get the black eggcrate then too. Shoot me a PM.

Linda Lee
04-26-2009, 6:17 AM

It's a chihuahua. You can probably just use a Tupperware container.

Dakota9
04-26-2009, 6:25 AM
Well, I still have some hamster stuff layin around, thought about just using that for the time being........ Or maybe an empty 20 gallon long, LOL

LOL, I'll get him one of those habi-trail balls to cruise around in, that'll keep'em outta trouble

Linda Lee
04-26-2009, 6:34 AM
I get dog supplies at Pet Mountain. You can find some pretty good sale items there.

twocute2b4u
04-26-2009, 9:19 AM
Dakota, read your PM.

MrsMojo
04-26-2009, 9:23 AM
Crate training is an awesome idea!! I recommend all my puppy clients crate train. It helps the pup tp learn what you want, cuts down on mess, saves furniture/house/etc from damage, and keeps the puppy safe. I once lost a patient because it was loose and chewed on an electrical cord - if it had been in the crate while the owners were at work it would not have died. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the pup! And the potty training!

Linda Lee
04-26-2009, 9:31 AM
Crate training is an awesome idea!! I recommend all my puppy clients crate train. It helps the pup tp learn what you want, cuts down on mess, saves furniture/house/etc from damage, and keeps the puppy safe. I once lost a patient because it was loose and chewed on an electrical cord - if it had been in the crate while the owners were at work it would not have died. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with the pup! And the potty training!

could not agree more

crating an animal is not at all cruel confinement as some may think

our dogs love their crates -- it's their happy place

NotiReef
04-26-2009, 9:58 AM
I am sold on crate training....it seems to calm a lot of dogs down as well.
Dakota also check out IKEA in Atlanta. They have some of the best stuff for CHEAP!! Dog bowls for less than a $1. Beds, toys, etc. are pretty cheap as well.

Dakota9
04-26-2009, 3:37 PM

I've heard, but not read, that Chihuahuas were hard to potty train. I once had a Jack Russell that was the most stubborn dog on earth. I'm hoping it isn't that bad all over again.

seamonkeychar
04-26-2009, 4:21 PM
Chihuahuas can be stubborn, and they are waaaaay too smart for their own good, but they make great companions. I'm sure your son will love him! I have two at home, they're ten years old, so I'm sure I have tons of extra chihuahua sized stuff laying around. I'll check and see, and shoot you a PM if I find anything.

Dakota9
04-26-2009, 4:40 PM
Chihuahuas can be stubborn, and they are waaaaay too smart for their own good, but they make great companions. I'm sure your son will love him! I have two at home, they're ten years old, so I'm sure I have tons of extra chihuahua sized stuff laying around. I'll check and see, and shoot you a PM if I find anything.

Great!!!!!!!

Let me ask you, as an experienced owner of the breed. Is it true that they tend to get cold very easily? I realize that just being small and lean that generating body heat could be an issue, but some people have told me that this breed can become hypothermic in what we'd consider moderate temps.. I was somewhat concerned about this because I'm a miser with the theromostat in the winter time, and the hardwood floors dont help.

Thanks for shedding any light possible..

Dakota

Acroholic
04-26-2009, 4:48 PM
We are on Shelties 3 and 4 right now, and all our dogs have been crate trained. Nothing better, IMO.
Dave

seamonkeychar
04-26-2009, 4:59 PM
They do get cold, mostly due to their small size, but they won't be absolutely freezing at room temperature. As a puppy, you'll need to watch him to make sure the temperature (either heat or cold) isn't too much for him. You might also want to make sure you feed multiple small meals a day, because as puppies, Chihuahuas are too small to regulate their blood sugar levels properly. My two chihuahuas are fine as far as temperature goes though. And if they aren't they will just find a warm lap to climb into. :)

Dakota9
04-26-2009, 5:11 PM
Hm, I didn't think about the heat as well as te cold....... I'll consider this. Thanks!

Any other tips foe a newbie of the breed?

I'm all ears!

MrsMojo
04-26-2009, 5:22 PM
My clients do tell me that Chihuahuas are hard to potty train - but all small dogs seem to be harder than the big dogs. I completely agree with multiple small meals a day. I have seen several small chihuahuas come in in emergency situations because their blood sugar has dropped to low. I recommend keeping a tube of Nutrical (a sugary calorie supplement that you can get from the vet/breeder) and using it a couple times daily to prevent a problem. Make sure that the pups vaccines stay up to date - for some reason this breed is prone to parvo - so I usually recommend no contact with dogs that you dont know until they finish their vaccines. NO trips to Petsmart or dog park or other places where lots of dogs that you dont know would congregate until vaccines are done - they are breeding grounds for diseases like parvo. YOu can always PM me if you have questions or need advice.

seamonkeychar
04-28-2009, 5:30 PM
Nutrical is a good idea, I've used it before for a Chihuahua puppy that I fostered (he was 6 months old and weighed 1 pound, he needed the help!). Heat is something you need to watch, these puppies are so small that they really can't regulate their own temperatures.

As far as anything else on tips, it's mostly just common sense. Crate training is a GREAT idea, it will keep him out of trouble and give him a safe place to go if he gets overwhelmed (being so small, it's easy for lots of visitors at once or other situations to just be too much). As far as potty training, the worst part for me has always been the fact that such small animals can't go up and down stairs easily. If you have stairs to the outside, you'll have to carry him up and down whenever you take him out, at least until he gets big enough to do it on his own. I've found that this means that you have to be very vigilant, since he'll be relying on you to go out. That is the hardest part. Chihuahuas are very intelligent, so he should learn quickly (if he's not being stubborn). Good luck!

Dakota9
04-28-2009, 8:34 PM
Thank you guys for all this great advice, I anticipated issues arising from this breed's small size. Some of these things I have never thought about

cfrank84
04-28-2009, 8:41 PM
ive had a few chihuahuas and mine have always had constant access to food ie i leave the dish out all the time.. they pick at it when they want food and scratch the door when time to go out most of the time.. but a "pee-pee" pad is left out just in case :-p i have also found they dont do the shakey shake thing most chihuahuas do and i attribute it to the having food when hungry as opposed to getting fed at certain times... just my 2 cents! and congrats on the new addition to the family

cfrank84
04-28-2009, 8:44 PM
oh and i forgot to add mine loves to wear clothes.. my grandma got the clothing trend going and after wrestling and getting nipped when i took away her first sweater she is rarely not clothed unless she undresses herself.. usually when its a lil warm in the apt (going back to that"they are too smart for their own good comment :-p)

she also has her own blanket that she likes to have in a ball and she crawls into the middle and just sticks her head out to keep an eye on things.. ive seen lots of chihuahua's that have the same behavior from my friends dogs

Dakota9
04-30-2009, 8:20 AM
What's people's feelings about leaving food down all the time, for a breed who's blood sugar is this sensitive?

Maybe it would be a good idea atleast in the beginning.

Oh, and maybe I found a use for all my son's left over baby clothes LOL

Thanks for the advice....

Chymos45
04-30-2009, 9:07 AM
IMO, free-feeding (leaving food out all the time for them to graze) is asking for problems (blood sugar regulation, obesity, GI problems, other pests such as ants, etc.). Some dogs do fine with it, particularly small breeds, but they are more the exception than the rule. Do yourself a favor and make sure he knows who's in charge from the start.

This tiny breed will benefit perhaps even more than others with a constant and regular routine. Feed multiple small meals of a HIGH QUALITY food recommended by your VET and take them out to potty very regularly. Same routine, every day, including weekends, and you will even need to get up a couple of times a night for potty breaks for really young ones. Every couple of hours until they get a little more bladder control.

Note I said VET above, not BREEDER, or friend, or mother's friend's sister's boyfriend from college. (MrsMojo, you can thank me later...) These are the doctors that went to 4 years of veterinary school, not the folks that were able to convince dogs to get it on or once knew somebody that had a dog... Trust your vet and what they recommend.

Chymos45
04-30-2009, 9:09 AM
Just hit SEND and saw that this may have been a little abrasive. My apologies, but I have some pretty strong feelings on the subject...:mad2:

Dakota9
04-30-2009, 9:23 AM
Just hit SEND and saw that this may have been a little abrasive. My apologies, but I have some pretty strong feelings on the subject...:mad2:

HAHA.......... You should read some of my posts......!

Point Taken!

Thank you!

Chymos45
04-30-2009, 9:32 AM
I'm just a noob to ARC (just passed 100 posts - wo-hoo). Don't want to step on any toes this early!

I used to train Search and Rescue Dogs and certified Therapy Dogs in Texas for years and have heard every wive's tale under the sun on behavior, diet, grooming, you name it. Us "dog people" can be bretty obstinate in our opinions, so my advice it to take the opinions of the trained, licensed professionals. Heck, don't even listen to me - what makes me any kind of authority???

Good luck in your endeavor. Every little boy needs a dog!

wbrown
04-30-2009, 11:26 AM
only advice I have, is to watch your feet. I've stepped on one we had years ago not realizing it ran around my ankles.
Sucks to hurt a dog.

MrsMojo
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I happen to agree with Chymos45 about leaving food out all the time. In my experience it leads to dogs that are more finicky about eating - which could cause more problems with low blood sugar rather than preventing it. I typically recommend to feed a dry food and with a Chihuahua I would feed 2 - 3 meals a day and be sure the dog eats and isnt missing meals. The Neutracal that I mentioned can be used if needed between meals to prevent a problem. Most dogs do great and never have a problem - you just have to be careful. When you get the puppy home and get it checked out by your vet be sure to ask kwhat food they would recommend - we all have our own presonal preferences.

Dakota9
04-30-2009, 1:18 PM
When you get the puppy home and get it checked out by your vet be sure to ask kwhat food they would recommend - we all have our own presonal preferences.

Uh, uhm, hmmm...... Just off the top of your head, which dog food would you recommend?

My last dog started out on Bil-jac(sp?), the frozen dog food, and then when I realized he was eating me outta house and home, I mixed it with Beneful, then just Beneful later on.......

Thank you all for taking time to offer such great advice!

MrsMojo
04-30-2009, 1:39 PM
Pet food is a topic that has been known to set off some heated "discussions" on the ARC. I will PM you with some thoughts to avoid causing any trouble.

Dakota9
04-30-2009, 2:48 PM
Pet food is a topic that has been known to set off some heated "discussions" on the ARC. I will PM you with some thoughts to avoid causing any trouble.

Ah! yes, The Politics, Religion, sex and Dog Food topics....... I remember now!

atreyu917
05-01-2009, 7:46 AM
I've never owned a dog that little but I've seen many obese, and morbidly obese chihuahuas since I've worked at veterinary hospitals. I would never ever feed a chi any soft food because they have a tendency to have tartar buildup quick because they are a small dog. I'm a personal fan of Nutro Natural choice. They have small bites for little dogs and as they grow there is a senior diet, overweight management etc. Another food I've heard a lot of good things about it Wellness, although I've never tried it. Royal Canin I've also heard is good for small breeds.
Personally NOT a fan of Science Diet or Eukanuba but they're DEFINITELY not bad foods at all. I just didn't like how my dogs responded to eating them.

seamonkeychar
05-10-2009, 5:47 PM
Im also a fan of Natural Choice. My female Chihuahua has problems with hair loss/skin irritations. Once I switched her over to the Natural Choice lamb and rice formula, her fur started growing in and everything cleared up. I'm thinking it might have been food allergies, but whatever the reason, it's done wonders for her.

Affectedhalf
05-10-2009, 6:22 PM
I highly recommend going to this site and making your own informed decision (with, of course, advice from your vet). Not all vets are nutritionalists though.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

I found a wonderful high quality food for my dog who has a sensitive stomach. Did the math and I actually save money buying higher quality. This is due to the fact that I feed him 1/2 as much. Just something to consider....

Dakota9
05-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I've never owned a dog that little but I've seen many obese, and morbidly obese chihuahuas since I've worked at veterinary hospitals. I would never ever feed a chi any soft food because they have a tendency to have tartar buildup quick because they are a small dog. I'm a personal fan of Nutro Natural choice. They have small bites for little dogs and as they grow there is a senior diet, overweight management etc. Another food I've heard a lot of good things about it Wellness, although I've never tried it. Royal Canin I've also heard is good for small breeds.
Personally NOT a fan of Science Diet or Eukanuba but they're DEFINITELY not bad foods at all. I just didn't like how my dogs responded to eating them.

I am concerned about overfeeding this dog. Strange how I'm prefectingly happy feeding my tank every other day, and maybe even every third day, but will overfeed a dog. My last dog (long sad story there, with ill feelings left toward family members) was a beagle that looked like a tank running toward ya. Also, my son likes treats every 5 minutes, and assumes dogs enjoy that as well.....

I fed my landlord's dogs for a few months while he worked out of town, and they gained weight. He was a lil upset that I ran outta food twice as fast as I should. I lil ticked off (I was doing this as a free service) I yelled into the the phone "What part of me looks like I'd know anything about portion control?" He laughed, so I guess I diffused a tense moment....

My point is I'm really going to have to work on NOT having a morbidly obese dog.....

Thanks for the advice!

atreyu917
05-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Definitely ask your vet how much to feed and not the instructions on the bag! They usually tell you to feed too much haha