View Full Version : First CUC

GTOX44
04-21-2009, 2:48 PM
So I finally started cycling my tank and I will need a clean up crew soon. What is a usual clean up crew for a 29 gallon reef tank? I really like the cleaner shrimp and I know I want two of them but I'm not sure how many and what kind of snails and crabs. Thanks.

bratliff
04-21-2009, 2:56 PM
So I finally started cycling my tank and I will need a clean up crew soon. What is a usual clean up crew for a 29 gallon reef tank? I really like the cleaner shrimp and I know I want two of them but I'm not sure how many and what kind of snails and crabs. Thanks.

I wouldn't add cleaner shrimp first as they are probably a bit more sensitive to ammonia and nitrites. various snails (nassarius, astrea, turbo are few that come to mind) and hermits (red leg and blue leg) are the usual suspects for a basic CUC. I'd get a few different varieties of snails and either red legs or blue legs (dunno if they'll fight with each other... never mixed 'em). You'll wind up needing more than you think, but, I'd just add a few at a time (I'd recommend 10 snails and 5 hermits to start but, that's not based on anything other than a guess :shades:).

schwimmair
04-21-2009, 2:57 PM
I used 1 snail per 1 to 2 gallons of water and 1 hermit crab per 3 to 5 gallons of water. You may also want to add 1 Peppermint Shrimp for Aptasia control and 1 Cleaner Shrimp. Just ask your LFS to give you a variety.

Adam

GTOX44
04-21-2009, 2:57 PM
Alright thanks. Is there any difference in the types of snails and types of crabs other than color?

schwimmair
04-21-2009, 3:00 PM
I would recommend this article:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=49

It gives you information about each type.

Adam

GTOX44
04-21-2009, 3:19 PM
I would recommend this article:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=49

It gives you information about each type.

Adam

Thanks!

cr500_af
04-21-2009, 3:27 PM
FWIW, I have a mix or red and blue leg hermits, and they don't fight. The blues do fight each other, however.

Michael Ruppert
04-22-2009, 1:11 AM
You do not the numbers that some LFS sell. I have a 29 gal with five nass snails to shift the bottom. two astreas , three margarittas, five hermits crabs, and a emerald crab. They do the job. I let algea grow in my tanks because i like and these creatures keep the take clean

stacy22
04-22-2009, 6:46 AM
I would stay away from 'Margarita' snails. They are a temperate water species that don't typically last very long at reef temperatures.

jhutto
04-22-2009, 7:35 AM
go see Tim at Keen Reef. He will take care of you. Good prices and will get the combination right for you. I like the Trochus over the Mexican Turbos along with some of the other smaller types. Some eat detritus, some stir the sand and etc.