View Full Version : I am a father!!!!

Xyzpdq0121
02-11-2007, 9:12 AM
So yesterday, I do the Saturday routine of picking up frags to add to my tank. Get everything situated in there and mounted. It looks wonderful (or will when I can take rubberbands off my rocks). As I kiss my fish goodnight and turn on their night lights (they have a hard time sleeping thinking the monster in the sump is going to get them), I see my Green BTA start to move. "Umm Hello?!? Where do you think you are going?!?" He had been happy in his spot for quite some time. We have planned corals around him so maybe they can live together! I turn on the lights hoping that maybe he would settle back down. I try feeding him since it had been a bit, maybe he was just trying to get up for a midnight snack! Nothing seemed to work. Finally me and my wife got pissed and decided that we could not stop him from relocating and we will just have to see where he ended up in the morning. After a few dreams about my BTA eating everything in my tank. I wake up and rush downstairs to see where he is at. I locate him, under his rock where he started... Awsome he did not move.... "Wait a moment, how is he on top of the rock and below the rock at the same time?!? Ummm Honey, how do you feel about having two BTA?!? We have babies!!!" Looks like he moves to split and moved back. I am currently looking to make sure parent and child are doing well. I am going to try to get child to detach and bring him to the meeting to trade out if anyone wants a cute little BTA! I am a father!!!

slayer
02-11-2007, 9:13 AM
congratulations!

FishyBusiness
02-11-2007, 9:18 AM
Its because he REALLY likes the new rock setup :)

Xyzpdq0121
02-11-2007, 9:44 AM
LOL... Ya, Now you get to come back, tear it apart and get the baby out of here! You know the "royal" home that you made bigger. Ya that is where his foot is and the hole is just big enough for it. THANKS!

We do still love the new rock work though.

Big D
02-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Pics would be nice :photo: ... We need some of the BTA's and the new rock work :D ...

Big D

Xyzpdq0121
02-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Sorry the morning lights are on but you can still see..

Cameron
02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Stevhan does great caves.

Sprayin70
02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
AWWW How cute. congrats!!!

Xyzpdq0121
02-11-2007, 1:11 PM
Ya baby and parent are doing fine. I can not figure out how to get the baby to release from his hole in the rock so we can get him out of there. One BTA is more then enough. I wonder if the parent is going to split again tonight.. He is looking like it.

Stevhan does do great work.... The fish feel so Fung Shei (sp) now. They love it!

tsciarini
02-11-2007, 3:10 PM
Try using an icecube and rub it near the foot of the BTA. They don't like the cold and will typically let go to relocate.

(just to cover all bases... use an icecube made from RO/DI, not tap water)

Xyzpdq0121
02-11-2007, 5:42 PM
Tony, Thanks for the tip! I am going to try it now. I was trying to light deprive him by putting a coffee mug over him and see if he would move to look for more light.

Stroid
02-11-2007, 6:02 PM
ive been looking for a bta for my clowns how much do you want for that little bugger? I can pick him up at the meeting if you do want to sell him.

Xyzpdq0121
02-11-2007, 6:08 PM
Stroid, If I can get him off the rock before the meeting Tuesday, he is yours! I do not want to force him off the rock because it will hurt his foot. Understand that he is a baby, he is only about 1.5-2" across. I will see if the "parent" splits again tonight and gives us a bigger baby. Do you have any frags to trade? If not, I will take $20 obo for him to buy myself some frags at the meeting. I am not really looking to make money.

Stroid
02-11-2007, 6:18 PM
I have a rather large frogspawn that is ready for fragging but ive never actually fragged something so this will be a good meeting for me. if you want that we could work something out.

Xyzpdq0121
02-11-2007, 6:45 PM
Stroid, I have some spawn coming to me soon. We will work something out. ;) I am easy that way. If you want him, he is yours... He needs a good home!

Xyzpdq0121
02-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Ice cube did not work... He did not like it but he did not detach! Any other bright ideas?!? :)

Stroid
02-12-2007, 6:15 PM
Ive been thinking about it and I probably am not ready for the BTA right now im not happy with my tank until I get this skimmer working the way I want it to work. Let me know when you do get it to detach and hopefully by then I will be ready for the BTA. Thanks Brandon

Big D
02-12-2007, 6:36 PM
Ice cube did not work... He did not like it but he did not detach! Any other bright ideas?!? :)

You can try pointing a PH at him to make him move or if you can take his rock out, you can hang it inverted in a container of tank water and he will eventually let go (that's how I recently got my RBTA off his rock to move him to my 180), but don't let him hang too long as the temp of the water could start dropping...

Big D

rsg4
02-12-2007, 6:44 PM
i've used a turkey baster aimed at the foot before. just dont suck it up.

Platyplakia
02-12-2007, 7:21 PM
I'd be more than willing to take the little guy. I have a 75 with 2 x 250 watt Mhs. I have a rose already, and have been dying to get another BTA. I'm in no rush, so if he decides to wander onto a smaller rick over the next week or so, that would be fine with me. On the other hand, of he's ready by the meeting i'd take him then, too. Let me know. Thanks.

Xyzpdq0121
02-12-2007, 7:35 PM
Ya I am NOT moving the rock he is on... Stevhan spent too long to get things perfect for me to start moving things around! ;) Right now, I have a cup over him. I hope that he will move on his own to get more light. When I can get him off I will post to see who wants him. He is a cute little guy and my first marine baby!

Xyzpdq0121
03-01-2007, 9:00 PM
I think the Green BTA is giving birth again tonight. Anyone need a baby BTA?!?

Sprayin70
03-01-2007, 9:01 PM
I'll take him how much?

Stroid
03-02-2007, 9:15 AM
Oh Oh pick me pick me!!! Ill take a place in line I am still looking for one of these let me know Im ready to get the clone as soon as it is ready.

Xyzpdq0121
03-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Hey guys... Sprayin is first in line and then Stroid. He did not split last night like I thought he was going to but he still looks like he will. You can almost see the two halfs working independent of eachother. I am sure it will not be long. After the split, I like to let the clone and parent rest for a bit (about a week) before moving them around. I might have jumped the gun last night but I thought for sure he was going to split. We will see what happends tonight.

Sprayin70
03-02-2007, 10:05 AM
Can't Wait!

Stroid
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
If Allen doesnt take it PM me and let me know. Thanks

Stroid
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Brandon I found a nice GBTA yesterday at PetLand and decided to bring him home with me. So ill cancel my request to be next in line. Thanks anyways though!

Xyzpdq0121
03-06-2007, 7:39 AM
So he has not split yet but I think I am going to get rid of my GBTA. He has been part of the centerpiece of my tank but alas, we want to put something else in his place. Alan has first dibbs since he had dibbs on any baby, Stroid has second dibbs, after that it is open. I am looking for $50 for him. You can see him a few weeks ago in the pictures above. He is a about 4" when open up (about 3" foot). I have him removed now so whoever wants him needs to come get him today. Let me know.

Xyzpdq0121
03-06-2007, 7:46 AM
Oops Stroid, I did not see your last post. Sorry! ;)

Stroid
03-06-2007, 1:07 PM
My question since we are on the subject is how come your GBTA has such long tentacles the one I just bought looks like this. My guess is yours is older then the one I got and eventually mine will have longer tentacles. Just curious.
Thanks http://mail.google.com/mail/?attid=0.1&disp=emb&view=att&th=11128b1a9956d978http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1414&d=1171211139

Stroid
03-06-2007, 2:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Stroid/GBTA.jpg maybe it will work this time

Xyzpdq0121
03-06-2007, 9:01 PM
Hope you enjoy Ziad

Stroid
03-06-2007, 9:45 PM
Man let me tell you he looks great although i am still acclimating him I had to reacclimate my clown to my downstairs tank....so i did it together and well my little occelaris is in love with the gbta only problem is I cant get it out of the tuperware it attached itself to the bottom any suggestions?

Big D
03-06-2007, 10:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/Stroid/GBTA.jpg

Make sure you feed this guy... He looks good, except all of his Zooxanthellate is gone and he will not be able to survive photosynthetically. Not that uncommon with one that has been through alot of stress, here's a pic of my RBTA when I first got him.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/244268/Rose20BTA.jpg

I thought he looked beautiful until I did a little research and found that this really was an unhealthy condition for him. After a month or so, he greened up, now he is just as beautiful, just a little greener :D . Actually, that's when I really started to look into it because I thought sometihng was wrong with him, he was turning green from the inside :doh: . Just feed your little guy some mysis, krill, or even a small chunk of silverside or squid... Pretty soon he'll be alot darker and could live off light alone. Then you'll also notice his tenticles will be longer and he won't be as compact, kinda like Xyzpdq0121's...

Big D

Stroid
03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
i actually returned the one above and purchased xyzpdq0121's gbta and it is great. I just cant get it out of the tuperware i have it upside down in the tuperware floating in the tank so it is totaly upside down submerdged in water im just waiting for it to fall off

Xyzpdq0121
03-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Ya people think something is wrong with my Green BTA because his tenticles were not bubbled like in your pic David. I tried to explain to people that a BTA does not have short compact, clear tenticles if it is healthy!

I was glad to see my BTA go to a good home... I know you will take care of him Ziad... If for some reason he does not do well, please let me know and I will take him back in the future if need be. I know it will not come to that but the offer is there! ;)

Stroid
03-07-2007, 1:05 AM
he is in good hands thats for sure but if need be ill let you know