View Full Version : PM Message Delay

Cameron
02-10-2007, 10:30 PM
I know why it is there, but is there some way for verified members to get rid of or reduce this delay? When selling stuff, it is annoying have to wait a minute between posts. Rather than taking a few seconds to reply to messages it stretches into a 10 minute thing.

I know your busy and I know it probably isn't easy, but would be great if this could be done at some point down the road.

tsciarini
02-11-2007, 3:37 PM
hmm.... I wonder how difficult it would be to create an Instant Messanger within the website. I'll bring this up with Chris and see what he has to say.

(...as if he doesn't already have an insane list of things to work on from us:))

tsciarini
02-11-2007, 3:38 PM
Hey wait! You're a software developer... YOU can help with this:D

Cameron
02-11-2007, 4:20 PM
If this were an Invision board, it would be easy for me but I know squat about vBulletin. Besides if you had ever seen my code you would never allow me anywhere near these forums.

tsciarini
02-11-2007, 4:21 PM
lol

mojo
02-12-2007, 11:00 AM
I've disabled the batch email send feature on the site now. I can add a IM-type interface onto the site (I saw the plug in somewhere), but this should help for now.

CGill311
02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
I've disabled the batch email send feature on the site now. I can add a IM-type interface onto the site (I saw the plug in somewhere), but this should help for now.

The IM interface would be pretty sweet. Maybe the club should start paying you a salary for all the great work you do on the website!

mojo
02-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Heh- that'd be nice, but I think I'll have to be happy with the satisfaction of giving back to the club for the time being. :)

Thanks for the compliments, though!

kappaknight
02-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Besides if you had ever seen my code you would never allow me anywhere near these forums.

Mental note, never hire Cameron for any code related jobs.

Cameron
02-12-2007, 1:50 PM
After you have been coding for almost 20 years your code starts to go downhill. I think the peak for most programmers is around 10 years. Old enough to know all the tricks but still young enough to enjoy doing it.

rhomer
02-12-2007, 1:57 PM
Oh crap that means I hit my peak in 47 days.

Rob

mojo
02-13-2007, 9:11 AM
And it means I've been going downhill for the past 3 years .... :(

Cameron
02-13-2007, 9:39 AM
It does vary from person to person, but my last job I managed a department of programmers. I hired and trained them all so my general feeling is don't hire a developer that have been doing it for 20 years if you need to develop a new product. Older programmers make great coders and some excellent team leads/trainers, but if you need a "hot shot" old guys in general just don't have the spark and the desire to work 80+ hour weeks. Late 20s/early 30s seem to be the best times. Mid 30s programmers are good too, but are usually more family oriented.

I started really young getting my first programming job writing ASM on a mainframe (it was a mini actually but it was sold to run on mainframes) and FoxPro for a PC when I was 18. I can code for sure, but the desire to work all hours of the night are long gone.