View Full Version : Emergency situation!

radha
04-03-2009, 2:38 PM
I just bought a tiny pom pom crab today, and figured out it's pregnant! What should I do?? Plus I'm going on vacation! It has orange eggs on it's underside, what colors do the eggs look like when they are right about to hatch?? Does it keep reproducing, because I know I'm not going to be able to save this batch, and I would like to have a second chance! Will it be like other fish and keep reproducing every month or so?? I only have one in the tank, will it still reproduce?? Should I get another one! I'm soooo confused! I'm excited too, but I really need some tips on these crabs! Mine is like 2-3 cm... so will it get eaten. I can't find it right now, so I'm gonna go on an expidition to look for it! Will post pics asap! Thanks!
Radha

radha
04-03-2009, 2:41 PM
Oh, and it only has one anemone. But it makes me feel better it does, in cas anything tries to hurt it since it is so small, and it is carrying eggs!

NotiReef
04-03-2009, 2:44 PM
The larvae will probably be eaten or will starve.

weaglereefer
04-03-2009, 2:46 PM
Don't even worry about them. Without specialized setups, you won't be able to keep them alive.

radha
04-03-2009, 2:54 PM
That stinks! Is there another chance? What I'm asking is will she reproduce again without the male, or is this the only time? Will she keep reproducing?

NotiReef
04-03-2009, 3:00 PM
The female will probably produce eggs again.

radha
04-03-2009, 3:05 PM
Yes! That makes me happy! Now I will try to raise the eggs! It'll probably be difficult, and take a while, but I will manage.

NotiReef
04-03-2009, 3:08 PM
Radha the crabs may produce eggs but they rarely survive in a home aquarium.

JessPete
04-03-2009, 3:11 PM
Tiff at Blue Planet was telling me she had gotten in a pom pom crab that had lost one of it's anemones.... it tore off some frogspawn... How funny!

radha
04-03-2009, 3:13 PM
Ok, thanks! I will try though. I'll keep trying till I get it. Ha, that's funny. Ya, my pom pom only has one anemone, that's the way I got her, that's the way she will stay..... hopfully, I hope the remaining one doesn't fall off!

NotiReef
04-03-2009, 3:14 PM
Radha check out MOFIB if you are interested in breeding. There is a lot of good info.

http://www.marinebreeder.org/

radha
04-03-2009, 3:33 PM
Thanks soooo much!

NotiReef
04-03-2009, 3:35 PM
no problem.

radha
04-03-2009, 3:49 PM
I am very excited!
Has anyone had success with pom pom crabs?

Linda Lee
04-03-2009, 3:58 PM
My pom pom crabs lose their anemones all the time. Don't worry about it; eventually the one remaining anemone will *split* and your little crab will have two boxing gloves again. I've often wondered if the crabs often do the splitting themselves, with their claws.

radha
04-03-2009, 4:03 PM
Cool! Thanks Linda! Have you had success with the breeding, though? And does your crab hide all the time? Mine hasn't come out from her hiding spot, which is in a hole in the rock... I'm worried about her.

radha
04-04-2009, 7:06 AM
Ok, so she comes out at night, but I don't know where she hides in the daytime, she picks out like 15 different spots, and I've only had her a day!

coolsurf
04-04-2009, 7:12 AM
I have a pom pom and he is pretty cool. I had a pair but I think one became a war casualty with my emerald not totally sure though. They pretty much well hide during the day and can be pretty tricky to find but at feeding time, they sure come out for a taste of the mysis. Yesterday he molted so I figure he is pretty healthy. Kinda funny, my pom pom and cleaner shrimp both molted the same night!

radha
04-04-2009, 7:46 AM
Ok! Thanks for the info! I really don't know where she went, I saw her last night, and now I can't find her. But I feel better knowing she's probably hiding!

Smoothie
04-06-2009, 1:05 AM
Let us know how it turns out. As we all know if it were a pest crab that thing would be poppin off healthy babies like it needed a check!

radha
04-06-2009, 9:35 AM
ok! thanks! i'm a little nervous... but i'll try my best

Seedless Reefer
04-06-2009, 9:39 AM
Pom Pom's are very secretive....you are lucky if you see them at all.

I totally forgot I had pom pom's and then saw it in the tank and it was a nice surprise.

radha
04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
oh, I see her almost every night! but, yes, she seems to hide much of the day, and doesn't come out at feeding time. but i haven't seen hr lately, should i be worried?

JessPete
04-07-2009, 9:16 AM
I have fish that I don't see for days sometimes. Don't worry.

radha
04-08-2009, 9:56 PM
ok, thanks. and anyway, she's got her protection: her anemone

radha
04-12-2009, 2:29 PM
Ya, I have NO clue where she went. It's like I go on vacation for a week and my tank falls apart. I came back, and the salinity is 1.021 (which is low), my frogspawn is dead, and a piece of pulsing xenia is breaking off and dying! AAAAHH! Does this ever happen to anyone? I mean I had someone taking care of the tank, and it's not her fault, but I get so paranoid. It's crazy how much I love this tank!!

NotiReef
04-12-2009, 2:54 PM
Did you do a water change?? Did you test your water? I would make sure tank is completely stable before adding anything else to it.

radha
04-12-2009, 5:32 PM
Oh ya, don't worry. I did a 25% water change, in fact, that was like the first thing I did when I got home. Everything is pretty much fine, I even got the nitrates to lower (yay), but the salininty is still a little low. I am gonna try to raise it.
Radha

radha
05-27-2009, 2:08 PM
She has eggs again!!!! Whoopee!