View Full Version : Breeding Clownfish??

radha
04-01-2009, 2:25 PM
Hi! I have a pair of percula clownfish, and would very much like to breed them. I think they have been together for 8 months to a year, and I think have been a couple for 6 months. Can you give me some tips on breeding them? I am experienced with breeding mollies, so I know some thing about breeding the fish. Should I put them in my 10 gallon refugium, or keep them in my 20 gallon tank with a neighboring pearly jawfish? What are some conditions I need for them to spawn? I've heard they need their own tank for spawning and breeding. Is this true? Thanks alot, much help is needed, since I am a fairly new aqauriust, but I do my homework, and know a lot now!

bobz
04-01-2009, 3:16 PM
Radha,
I would leave them in the tank. My Ocellaris are in my 210 with the rest of my fish. The male will take care of the eggs and keep other fish away. I leave mine to hatch in the tank, others remove them before they are ready to hatch. You can do it either way, the trick is knowing when they are about to hatch and collecting the larva. You will need a seperate tank to raise the larva and start feeding rotifers. I know some people who have had success using a prepared rotifer food (I forget the name but Dana knows). I use live rotifers for mine. There are a number of good books out there that will get you started.
Good luck!
Bob

radha
04-01-2009, 3:31 PM
Bob Z- Thanks! Do you have any more of the bright neon green star polyps? They are gorgeous, I am a big fan of star polyps! Are you selling them? If not, do you know the specific name of them, or where to get them? It seems like you're an expert at breeding fish, and are very succesful! Thanks again!
Radha

bobz
04-01-2009, 3:37 PM
Bob Z- Thanks! Do you have any more of the bright neon green star polyps? They are gorgeous, I am a big fan of star polyps! Are you selling them? If not, do you know the specific name of them, or where to get them? It seems like you're an expert at breeding fish, and are very succesful! Thanks again!
Radha

I'm just learning about breeding too! John lauth (Baboon Science) is the expert around here but I have been pretty lucky so far. It's been mostly trial and error. Let me know when you are ready to start and I can give you some live rotifers to get you going.

I have green star polyps coming out my ears! How many yards you want... it's like the old joke about laying sod, GREEN SIDE UP! but in this case I don't think it matters since this stuff will pretty much grow anywhere and on anything! But I like it too!

BZ

radha
04-01-2009, 4:18 PM
Cool! You live in Marietta too.... I will have to make a few stops there to pick up some other stuff people have offered me! Can I get back to you on when?

Linda Lee
04-01-2009, 7:08 PM
Hi! I have a pair of percula clownfish, and would very much like to breed them. I think they have been together for 8 months to a year, and I think have been a couple for 6 months. Can you give me some tips on breeding them? I am experienced with breeding mollies, so I know some thing about breeding the fish. Should I put them in my 10 gallon refugium, or keep them in my 20 gallon tank with a neighboring pearly jawfish? What are some conditions I need for them to spawn? I've heard they need their own tank for spawning and breeding. Is this true? Thanks alot, much help is needed, since I am a fairly new aqauriust, but I do my homework, and know a lot now!

Welcome to the boards! Your enthusiasm is refreshing.

I think if you read some of the threads in this particular forum (Breeders Corner), especially those posted by Bobz, a lot of your questions will be answered.

radha
04-01-2009, 7:19 PM
Sweet! Thanks a lot! Linda Lee- I heard that is you have 6,000 posts, you get a free frag? Is that true? If so, what did you get? Many thanks!

Linda Lee
04-01-2009, 8:37 PM
Sweet! Thanks a lot! Linda Lee- I heard that is you have 6,000 posts, you get a free frag? Is that true? If so, what did you get? Many thanks!

I get free frags from members all the time. And I'm finally established enough where I can even give some away myself.

Many members will give freebies to newcomers when they join ARC by purchasing a membership. The generosity here is one of the finest qualities of The Atlanta Reef Club.

:-)

radha
04-02-2009, 2:16 PM
Ok, sweet! Thanks!