View Full Version : Any crown moulding epxerts here??

kevinwholder
02-08-2007, 4:51 PM
Looking to install crown molding in my townhouse soon and was hoping to find a fellow reefer who is good at this to talk to first.

PVT me

glxtrix
02-08-2007, 5:27 PM
only thing I know is if you have a fairly new house, its best to cut the slats diagonal, so when the house settles over time the boards can move/slide on eachother rather than pushing and possibly popping off your walls. But if its an older house, youre good to go to do straight cuts. Ummm other than that, it sure is awesome to have in a house! And naturally were gonna need pics once you start this project :)

Xyzpdq0121
02-08-2007, 6:22 PM
Rule of thumb, ALways do diagonal cuts. Looks better and you avoide any of the above problems. They are not that hard to cut yourself.

glxtrix
02-08-2007, 7:10 PM
yup, simple miter saw and youre good to go :)

theplatypus
02-08-2007, 8:06 PM
For corners make the cuts upside down and backwords. Don't start nailing in the corners. Nail it in the middle of the board and leave the end free. That way you work the adjoining corners together to get a better fit.

jessezm
02-08-2007, 8:37 PM
I've done it but am by no means a professional. Jon, the platypus, is a carpenter, you should try twisting his arm a little bit!

johnqx4
02-11-2007, 4:32 AM
Spend money on a good quality mitre saw. Keep the blades sharp.

I bought a 12" dewalt a few years ago for a single projets (that is how I justify buying new tools :)

It has turned out to be the best investment I have made in woodworking.

You can get smaller, but buy quality. This will have a direct (huge) bearing on how good the joints look.