View Full Version : livebrineshrimp.com

stickx911
03-19-2009, 2:04 PM
anyone order from them before?

Is 2 day shipping reasonable for brine shrimp? Will the die off be substantial?

Ralph ATL
03-19-2009, 2:10 PM
it's so easy and cheap to make your own, they hatch in 24-48 hours!

stickx911
03-19-2009, 2:11 PM
I'm looking for the adult size, or close to.

ksauerb322
03-19-2009, 2:11 PM
Isn't brine shrimp easy to hatch? Just wondering since I am in need of some pretty soon.

stickx911
03-19-2009, 2:12 PM
I have a hatchery, So I'll see if my fish will take 'em. But I think I'll need the larger size.

stickx911
03-19-2009, 2:13 PM
yes, but they're tiny when hatched. They have more nutritional value at that stage, but I'm just trying to get a fish to eat something. And growing them to a larger size takes resources I do not have.

Derek_S
03-19-2009, 2:13 PM
I dont know what fish you are feeding, but you'd be surprised how much some fish like the BB over the adults.

My anthias will eat adults, but they will jump out of the tank for BB.

My purple queens which would eat NOTHING would eat BB.

Other foods I had luck with on the anthais was artic pods and cyclopeeze, but obviously not live. Must be very tasty though.

Ralph ATL
03-19-2009, 2:15 PM
all you need is this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~San_Francisco_Bay_Brand_Hatch ery_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Food_Feeding_Equip ment_Brine_Shrimp_Hatcheries~vendor~San_Francisco_ Bay_Brand~SearchStr~brine+shrimp~action~view~idPro duct~SB1113~idCategory~FIFDFEBS.html

most lfs carry them! A clean 2 liter bottle
make you own saltwater
get your own tube of brine shrimp eggs
air pump

when ready:
stop pump
shine flashlight near bottom in darkened room
shells float & shrimp swim to light
fill glass

add some water & eggs every day. if u take out enough everyday, same "batch" can be used for a week. Clean container.

Ralph ATL
03-19-2009, 2:17 PM
I have a hatchery, So I'll see if my fish will take 'em. But I think I'll need the larger size.

most lfs carry them. I know Fishscales & avarium has them. just call first.

ksauerb322
03-19-2009, 2:17 PM
Yeah what are you feeding? I'm in Stockbridge and have different size mysis and stuff if you want to try a few things.

bobz
03-19-2009, 2:49 PM
I hatch NHBS every day for the juveniles I am raising. I have not been able to grow them out in any numbers to make it feasible to feed adults to my fish. I buy adult brine shrimp from Sal at SWC or Greg at Optimum and keep them enriched with instant algae (nannochloropsis) and Selcon before feeding to my breeding pairs.

stickx911
03-19-2009, 4:09 PM
It'll cost more in time and gas to get to one of the stores that regularly sells live brine than it would to order.

I'll try the BB for now, sounds like that may be better that I was thinking.

I've tried everything frozen cyclopese granules (crushed). The little guy is eating something as he's been alive for a bit, but I cannot get him to eat what I'm feeding. So he's munching on the vanishing hair algae or pods for now, which there is not an unlimited supply of either...