View Full Version : new member,new reef

LiLi
10-19-2004, 3:59 PM
Hi,
I am new to reefkeeping and found this board looking for reefers closer to home. I am in south georgia, just below Columbus. I have recently set up a 55g reef/seahorse tank and am looking forward to learning more about reefkeeping. I have been "into" (as in addicted) aquaria about 3 years now ever since buying my first betta. that turned into hundreds of them, then almost that many fw tanks, then decided to do a 20g sw tank and now im trying to go mostly sw. I currently have the 20g sw with mostly snails atm, a 10g dwarf seahorse tank, a 10g with an awesome array of pods thingys(started with LR rubble) this houses a filefish also. and my greatest work, the 55gal new reef with a pair of H. erectus, a mandarin goby, a bar goby, peppermint shrimps, 2 porcelin crabs, an emeral crab, several blue-legged hermits, a few nass. snails, a couple of turbos, and a coral-banded shrimp. I also just put a few zoo & shroom frags a friend sent me. I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. :)
Lisa

LiLi
10-19-2004, 4:04 PM
my pride & joy...Spike & Silky enjoying the new digs

LiLi
10-19-2004, 4:17 PM
oops the pic didnt load :roll:

LiLi
10-19-2004, 4:22 PM
oh well, I did it right the first time. I forgot the specs on my tank.
55lbs LR, 40lbs LS+20lbs crushed coral, Lighting is just basic hood fixture that came with tank. looking to upgrade soon, but atm am slowly adding small frags of low light corals. Any suggestions/ideas/knowledge would be appreciated. :)
anyone know why the second pic wouldnt load? was a small jpeg file
Lisa

Rick O
10-20-2004, 5:18 AM
Hi Lisa. Welcome to The Atlanta Reef Club. Nice tank. We are having a workshop on Saturday Nov 6 in Marietta. If you're interested click the link for more information. Hope to see you there.:)
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40284[/url]

LiLi
10-20-2004, 10:12 AM
thanks Rick for the welcome and the invitation. :) I would love to be there. i am 3&1/2 hrs away so prolly wont make this one, but i bet it will be lots of fun. I have family in alpharetta so maybe one day can get to one.
Lisa

wildemon
10-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Nice to see your marine tank. Bettas are beautiful but the ocean floor has a lot of life to view too. On www.thereeftank.com the Atlanta Reef Club forum is where most of us are currently talking. This ARC web site is just starting and will be more active in the future. Currently a TRT thread started by Kayla concerns a seahorse setup and equipment. Maybe you could help her out?
William Fisher

Cyberchef
10-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Lisa welcome to the ARC. There are 2 stores in the Columbus area that deal in Saltwater, "Feathers and Freinds" and "One Stop Pet Shop" (this one is actually in Phenix City, AL. Across the river from Columbus.). If you get a free day it's worth the drive up to Atlanta to check out the stores up there, Cappuccino Bay Aquarium, Marine Fish, Fish Store and More, Aquarium Showcase and a bunch more. :)

LiLi
10-31-2004, 9:26 AM
hi and thanks for the welcome. i see you are from Columbus. a neighbor! feathers & friends is my favorite store and I have sold bettas to one stop also. nice stores. next time i do get to Altlanta I will be sure to check out those places. thanks
Lisa

Lifestudent
11-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Lisa, welcome to our little world of marine ecosystems! I'm glad that you found us. :D

You're tank looks great!

Several members have seahorse tanks.

We'd love to have you come to one of our meetings. They're held on the second Tuesday of each month.

Two exceptions are this Saturday (a workshop and auction) and on Dec 28 in the evening we're having a speaker talk to us about fish selection, compatability and diseases.

I understand that you're a long way away, so even if you can't attend, it'd be great to have you participate on our on-line discussion boards located both here and at http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53[url]

Bob

LiLi
11-01-2004, 11:47 AM
thanks Bob, I am glad to have found this forum also. I have arc and trt both as shorcuts on my desktop now, so am keeping up with posts. I look forward to getting to know the members. thanks for the comment on the tank. Is now covered with a diatom bloom. I'm told this will go away on its on, but its aggravating. lol
Lisa

wildemon
11-10-2004, 9:52 AM
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-11/hcs3/index.htm

Just wanted to be sure you noticed this article.
William

LiLi
11-10-2004, 10:44 AM
thanks William, for that article. very informative. I am a member of seahorse.org and have done lots of research since finding that site. I got my first horses in April for my birthday. My daughter got 5 adults in a kit and I found that site the same day. I attribute my success with them to the org. without the help of those ppl my horses would have died, but I still have 3 of the original 5 and fry i have raised. I would advise anyone to research exstensively before making an impulse purchase. A pic of mom & daughter :D
Lisa

wildemon
11-10-2004, 1:09 PM
That is an adorable photo!

LiLi
11-10-2004, 6:17 PM
thanks, it is one of my favs. it won the horse of the month contest last month on the org. they are some cute little things. :D
Lisa