View Full Version : Just introducing myself and my tank(s)

Darold
09-29-2004, 6:09 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I am a Junior at Emory University. Hobby experience comes from a summer working/"learning what not to do" at a LFS, and running my own tank(s) for just over two months now. I have a 5.5g tank with a CPR aquafuge and a 2.5g tank plumbed into the same system making for a total of almost 10 gallons. I also have a .75 Red Sea vase that I want to attempt to turn into a pico. Currently it is housing a Betta, so I will have to wait until I can find him a new home. Here are links to more info and pics about my tanks.

Most up to date info:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40369

Diary of set-up:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38424

Picture of the system:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Dgcole/41d45841.jpg

I have not searched through the forum very much, but saw a post about "giving stuff away." I cannot do this right now, as I am just about to mail any extra equipment I had to a new reefer. However, I might have to tear down my setups over winter break, and would most likely have to give away all of my livestock, including corals.

sammy33
10-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Nice looking tanks. I am nano reefer as well. There are actually quite a few nano reefers in the club.

I like your refugium setup. I just added a refugium on my 15g nano. My tank has been running for over 2 years and I just installed the fuge about two weeks ago. Has really stabilized the pH with minimal day night swings.

8)

Darold
10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
I have not had the time nor the energy to setup a way to keep light from leaking out of the refugium into the other tanks, so instead of running a reverse or 24hour cycle, I just run the refugium lights on the same interval as the others (11am-11pm). I do get PH swings, but they don't seem to be dramatic enough to affect the inhabitants.

PS: Finally, a reply! I was begining to think I had signed up to a dead forum j/k.

jessezm
10-06-2004, 3:15 PM
Hey, nice looking setup. I, too, am a nano-reefer, and have a 7g minibow. I actually live in the emory area and my stepdad teaches political science there (Prof. Doner--s.e. asian mostly). Well if you ever need a home for your livestock when you leave, I'd be delighted to oblige! Welcome to the forume! I'm new to it as well.
--Jesse z

Darold
10-06-2004, 3:33 PM
Good to see a litte action on this forum occasionally. Haven't taken Poi-sci, but its interesting to see how in such a large city, that people can be so closely intertwined.

jessezm
10-06-2004, 3:50 PM
Yeah, I agree the posting is a little sparse... For most of my posting I actually use a minibow forum but I think having a local forum is a great idea. It seems like it could be a great resource for trading, selling, buying, and apparently, pet-sitting! I hope the action picks up a bit, too. But I also like the idea of being connected to a local community where you actually know the people who contribute to the online discussion. I look forward to attending ARC events in the future (and both giving and recieving new corals and the like).

Darold
10-07-2004, 12:20 AM
I feel the same way you do. I think online communities are great, but they can't compare to local ones. This forum lets us use the power of each!

MichelleCheri
10-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Hey Darold, I noticed you were thinking of turning your Red Sea vase into a pico and just wanted to share my experience with these things with you. I initially had a Red Sea vase, ~1 gallon, at my office, and had a problem with the water evaporating too fast. I lost almost an inch of water every day. When I left for the weekend, I could always look forward to returning to nearly three inches of lost water and an ugly salinity spike on Monday morning. On one occasion, the heat in my building combined with the overhead lights had caused the water to evaporate so much that I had live rock and an innocent ricordia exposed to air. I wouldn't recommend using the Red Sea as a saltwater tank unless you'll be able to top it off every day or two. In the alternative, if you could fashion a lid out of acrylic, you could probably save much of the water that is usually lost to evaporation. Also, I would suggest switching out the light that is provided with the tank for another more suited to coral growth. My algae growth subsided as soon as I did that.

If you want to check out some other forums dedicated to nano reefs, I've seen plenty of people that had success with the Red Sea vases, and they might be able to share their wisdom. I think having the tank at my office where I didn't have access to it on weekends definitely compounded the problem.

Darold
10-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Thank you for th info about the vase. I have it in my room next to my desk. I do topoff every morning even on weekends. In the event that I will be out o town for a while, I can place the corals back into my larger tanks easily since that system has a top-off unit. I am only keeping mushrooms and a few zoo's in the tank, and the lighting seems adequite so far. Is it the wrong specturm? I haven't noticed any algae growth yet, but will keep an eye out for it. Thanks again for your advice!