View Full Version : Finally Finished

ilovesam08
01-25-2009, 3:41 AM
This is long so please bare with me. We had a 55 gallon mixed reef tank, and after thinking about it for a while, and realizing we had no more room for anything else, we decided to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank. ( I know its not a Huge difference, But I am really happy with it )

So here is how the journey begins. I persoanlly wanted someone to build me a custom stand, But my husband thought we could do it cheaper and it would still look good. I was iffy about it, But we tried.
Yall have to keep in mind that this was the first time me or him have ever built something. :lol2: So we started last weekend, and finally finished with it yesterday. And to my surprise it looked decent. It is no where near as good as some of yalls DIY stands. But I am pretty proud of it.
( i didnt think of taking pictures of the building process, Sorry )

After a week of thinking about it. we Decided to go with black sand.
I finally made my mind up when I seen so many beautiful tanks with it in there.

SO today my husband stayed home to start to set the tank up, while me and my aunt went to buy the salt, sand, filters, heaters, etc.

We also went to Einstiens and Keen reef. ( this was the first time I have been to either place. )
I meet a wonderful nice man today ( Tom ) who was meeting me there so I could buy a Huge colt coral with xenia. It is an amazing coral, and I love it soo much. Thank you again.

Chris at Einstiens was very kind and helpful. He has a beautiful selections of corals. He made me feel right at home. I will most Def. be shopping there again in the future. I ended up buying two huge toadstools, and a big finger leather. All very beautiful and healthy corals. My aunt also bought a multi-colored frogspawn. Once again a very beautiful coral.

At keen reef, They had some really good deals, on some really good corals.
I was so surprised to see the selection they had. It was really nice. Unfortuanlly I didnt have anymore money:sad:
But my aunt purchused some liverock for her tank.

Anyways back to the story. When we finally got home. My husband had the tank filled up, so we added the heater, filters, and then poored in the sand. and waited, and waited, and kept on waiting for the water to clear up.
I tested the water and everything was perfect.
So we started to trasfer all the livestock.

Its about two hours since we have been done, and I just now went and took two pictures of the tank ( i would have took more but my camera battery went dead )

I have been doing a little cleaning tonight, So I can sleep in tomorrow =)

But anyways I would really like it if yall gave me some input on the tank, good or bad.
If I need to change anything around please let me know.

Also I want to thank everyone for helping me out, and giving me advice on this journey. I am very thankful.

Full tank shot
http://i44.tinypic.com/255mam9.jpg

Another full tank shot.
http://i39.tinypic.com/2mq9ki8.jpg

ilovesam08
01-25-2009, 3:50 AM
Here I made them a little bigger so yall can see them better.
Sorry if they are too big.

Full tank shot
http://i40.tinypic.com/r1frjm.jpg

Another full tank shot.
http://i43.tinypic.com/abrzwz.jpg

stickx911
01-25-2009, 5:24 AM
looks nice. I wanted to go with black sand in my 30, but couldn't find any when it came time to fill it...

ilovesam08
01-25-2009, 6:19 AM
really?
Well I had to go to two places to get all of the sand.
I went to Petco, They only had one bad.
then I went to petsmart, and they had only three left.

&& thank you

BASSCYN
01-25-2009, 6:55 AM
Chrystal,
That looks great! Love the black sand. I guess this is the 1st set up I have seen with it. I am really surprised how good it looks.

Congrats on the upgrade!

gaguy68
01-25-2009, 9:52 AM
crystal,
looking like a pro.. you still want mushrooms to go in it?
i was gonna frag mine, but gaint ones i have decided to try and seperate them off one rock onto as many others as i can and leave them whole,would be honored to have a place in your tank.

Gary

ilovesam08
01-25-2009, 4:37 PM
Thank you all.
Its getting there. I wish it looked half as good as some of yall fellow reefers tank. But its a work in progress.
There is something wrong with my protien skimmer, It is making my water have A LOT OF BUBBLES.

I cant wait to meet all of yall at the meeting.

Gary you got Pmed.

coolsurf
01-25-2009, 5:02 PM
Very nice looking setup. I love the black sand. :up:

ilovesam08
01-25-2009, 5:05 PM
Thank you. My husband was iffy about it, and now that its in there, he is starting to enjoy the hubby also. :thumbs:

tim8111
01-27-2009, 8:54 PM
Thanks for coming by. I was actually low on corals last weekend. Please feel free to come by the store anytime.

Thanks,
Tim

LeeS
01-27-2009, 9:41 PM
Lookin good.

ilovesam08
01-27-2009, 10:38 PM
Thank you.. i have tons of room for more corals.

( nope never mind, any money that I come across is going to be in the babys nano. ) lol

gaguy68
01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
chrystal, you have pm

tim8111
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Thank you.. i have tons of room for more corals.

( nope never mind, any money that I come across is going to be in the babys nano. ) lol

Corals fit in Nano tanks too. :D

Seedless Reefer
01-28-2009, 8:50 AM
What did you do with the 55?

ilovesam08
01-28-2009, 10:47 AM
What did you do with the 55?

We set it up in the living room.
We still have another 55 gallon tank in the garage. lol

Steve
01-28-2009, 1:23 PM
Chrystal, SeedlessReefer needs a 55, you might wanna send him a PM if you wanan get rid of it.BTW it looks nice.

atreyu917
01-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I love the black sand! I'm considering it strongly for my next tank. I can't wait till I am able to get an upgrade for my 55 gallon!