View Full Version : Looking for a few donations for the Atlanta Center for the Deaf...

Xyzpdq0121
01-18-2007, 10:14 PM
I had not thought about this till today but if anyone has some spare parts that they wanted to be cleaned out, please let me know. Every year I take my tax return and donate it or do something for charity. Since getting back into reef keeping this past year, it has spured my imagination about what I can do this year. My bright idea was to set up a tank at the Atlanta School for the Deaf/Blind. I have done a few music things for them in the past and they are the nicest people in the world.

My idea was to take my old 55 Gallon and set them up a mini-reef for all the kids to look at. I already have taken some of my stars and "critters" up to the school to teach the kids about the ocean and everything that is out there. It has been a real kick for them. I have the tank and am going to build them a stand/canopy. I have one 2x 65W PC strip but maybe looking into doing some sort of Halide lighting. What I have seen people posting recently is about how they are throwing out sand or getting rid of base rock or have spare skimmers laying around or have too many frags to count.... If this is the case, please shoot me an e-mail and the more I can gather, the less I have to buy and the more I can give and make this thing something special. I will pay what I can but anything that is given is extra welcome. :fish:

Vettesarebest
01-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Wow thats such a nice thing to do! I really don't think I have anything to offer though. If my mushrooms would grow some more after fragging them a bunch I'd throw in some of those. But as for that that's all I have.

Xyzpdq0121
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the offer and I might take you up on that. Depending on the LR and the Sand situation, I might try to set it up to cycle this next week. It will be a while till I am ready for Frags (for now I would give them a good home in one of my QT tanks if anyone wants to give any before the tank is ready for them) but maybe when I am ready in a month or two for corals, you will be ready witha frag or two. Mushrooms would be a great addition because the are low care level. I am not going to have 10 hours a week to spend on this tank like I do my home tank so I need all the low care things I can think of.

Vettesarebest
01-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Also I will have some kind of leather coral I can donate. It grows like crazy and is impossible to kill. no one I've asked is really sure what it is. It looks like Kenya Tree but it isn't. let me know if you want that too.

CGill311
01-18-2007, 11:26 PM
When the tank is ready for corals, put up a post and I'm sure you'll get boat loads of coral frag donations. I have several frags to donate but no hardware.

chicagoman_35
01-19-2007, 7:11 AM
I have an old 29g that was my sump, it needs the baffles resealed. I can donate this to your project if ya want to run a sump on it!
I also have a rio 26HF pump, it needs a new impeller, you can have that as well for a return pump!

msnajkowski
01-19-2007, 9:41 AM
I will provide a frag or two of Zoa's when you are ready for that. I may have a few more things for you so PM me and I will see what I have.

Xyzpdq0121
01-19-2007, 1:22 PM
Ok so here is what I have decided to do... I am waiting for my Tax check which could take about a month to get here. I am starting to set up the tank at home this weekend. I need to work on the sand situation and I have some LR that I am going to put in there. I am setting it up this weekend so that the tank can start to cycle and I can work out all the kinks. I want to have the tank stable and looking good before it is set up at the school. (No one wants to see the ugly side of reef keeping while the tank gets stable.) I am also going to start collecting supplies and frags during this time and place them in grow/QT tanks to get them as healthy as possible. SO thanks for the wonderful support that all of you have shown and please keep it coming because this is going to be an ongoing thing over the next few months. To the people who have some spare frags, if they are ready to frag, I can take them at any time and keep them in house till I am fully set up. This gives me a chance to observe and get everything stable in the meantime. PMs have been sent to the people who have replied so far and maybe we can meet up soon. Thanks again ya'll, it helps put my mind at ease about this big project.