View Full Version : Anyone used Aqua-Mags?

weaglereefer
12-23-2008, 3:10 PM
http://www.aqua-mags.com/index.php

I saw them a while back and just bookmarked the page and forgot about them. After re-aquascaping my tank, I'm happy with the shape and set up, but I'd like to have some more height. Since my rockwork tapers in as it gets higher, I've gone about as high as I can and still have good flow along the front and back, and I really like the look.

I was thinking 3 Aqua-Mags would be sufficient to give a "ledge" along the back wall without looking to cluttered, but I was wondering if anyone else had tried these or had an opinion.

Mockery
12-23-2008, 3:11 PM
I have the mag rock an i love it! works great

Gwhiz
12-23-2008, 3:27 PM
I've got both Rock Mags and Frag Mags. Work well and look great. I wish the magnets on the Rock Mags were a bit stronger (they move if you bump 'em at all on my acrylic tank) but they haven't fallen off yet!

I think they give added depth to the tank.

weaglereefer
12-23-2008, 3:30 PM
Any pictures?

Gwhiz
12-23-2008, 3:35 PM
I'll take some when I get back to the house....

Kirru
12-23-2008, 3:40 PM
Tim at Keen Reef had some of these when I was last there. I was thinkin bout getting one for some lose frags i had.

jonboyb
12-23-2008, 4:41 PM
I bought some zoas from MvM attached to the frag mag and it's a cool contraption. Magnet is PLENTY strong on the frag mag. I plan on removing the zoas from it and trying a monti cap on my back wall so it doesn't interfere with my other corals and I have some "dead space" on my back wall. I may give it a bit of epoxy once the cap gets big so it doesn't accidentally fall.

jhutto
12-23-2008, 4:46 PM
If you will just lean a monti on the back wall it will scale up the wall even if you do not want it to...the rock mags work great.

Gwhiz
12-23-2008, 5:36 PM
Any pictures?

Here's a pic of one of each. I have three of each in the tank.

haninja
12-23-2008, 6:22 PM
http://www.deepwaterrock.com/ is where I got mine. In fact, the tank on the main page is mine :)

weaglereefer
12-23-2008, 6:30 PM
Well, guess I just added something else to my Xmas list, albeit a little late...

Mockery
12-23-2008, 8:01 PM
Acroholic just put 4 up for sale. and at 33% off

ace1204
12-23-2008, 8:20 PM
i think Matt (MvM) has some of the frag mags might wanna ask his opinion

weaglereefer
12-23-2008, 8:40 PM
Yeah, but if I have to pay for shipping a rock, I can get it for the same price likely from the online store, and won't be purchasing them til after Xmas. If he still has 3 then, I'll most likely be taking them.

Xyzpdq0121
12-23-2008, 9:46 PM
I use the frag mags... I like them but find one major problem, zoas do not seem to grow well on them for me... Since the light comes from the top, I just do no think they get enough light.

weaglereefer
12-25-2008, 8:57 PM
Alright, just ordered 2 rock mags and a frag mag. Wonder if I can support my frogspawn off the frag mag?...

MarkL
12-25-2008, 11:27 PM
I made my own aqua mags for pretty cheap. I bought super strong magnets from Joann fabrics in Kennesaw. Next bought aqua-mend from home depot mixed it put the small but strong magnet in the aqua mend and there you go.you can make 3 aqua mags for 10 .00 . You can kind of see it to the left in the pic.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm33/mbl577/IMG_0026.jpg[/IMG]

weaglereefer
12-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Nice!

I may use that for frags in the future. I really wanted the larger ones because with my low rocks in the foreground I wanted to create a shelf look on the back glass, and with free s/h, it's not a bad deal.

MarkL
12-25-2008, 11:52 PM
The rocks are for sure worth 30.00 .If i had the extra cash I would buy some.

weaglereefer
01-04-2009, 8:54 PM
Alright, got my Aqua-Mags in. The Frag-mag, IMO, is not worth it and I would not recommend it. It looks like a grey disc, not a piece of rock, but I have hopes that I can find something that will look good on there.

One of my Aqua-Mags broke in transit, split right down the middle. It looks okay using the broken pieces vertically (the magnets are at the ends, so when it split in the middle, the magnets hang on the wall and the piece swings down like a pendulum), but is not the look that I imagined or was going for. I'm planning to order at least 2 more, so should I mention this and see if they will throw me one discounted or something?

The one that didn't break looks awesome! The magnets are very strong, and the rocks themselves are very light. When in the water, they are nearly bouyant and easily held in place against the back wall by the magnets. I don't have any frags mounted yet (been working a ton the past 2 weeks), but I got a few pieces of SPS that should look good back there.

So, overall, very nice. Aqua-Mags are definitely worth it, but the Frag-Mag is not. I'll try to get some pics soon, but I've been getting to work before the tank lights turn on, and getting home after they turn off, so no pics yet.

Gwhiz
01-04-2009, 8:58 PM
I'm planning to order at least 2 more, so should I mention this and see if they will throw me one discounted or something?

They certainly need to know that one arrived broken....