View Full Version : has anyone seen the iphone?

brad
01-12-2007, 12:16 AM
that thing is amazing, and the wallpaper on all the advertisements is a clownfish in what looks like a green BTA, the picture is amazing, its better than some of the ones ive seen on here...

Sprayin70
01-12-2007, 12:18 AM
I saw a add for it. It looks great!

kappaknight
01-12-2007, 12:39 AM
I wonder if it'll scratch as easily as the nano though. Don't get me wrong, I love everything I've seen about it but durability is important and the first wave of Nanos scratched like crazy.

Kevin
01-12-2007, 7:53 AM
seems awesome, I heard from some people that actually played with it and love it. My concern too is how easily will it scratch. It also stinks that cingular is the only provider

brad
01-12-2007, 8:15 PM
yeah, but apple usually has pretty durable stuff... don't tell anyone but i dropped my friends ibook and its fine lol... and the cingular thing doesn't bother me because i have them!

Xyzpdq0121
01-15-2007, 10:14 PM
You can only get the phone for Cingular with a NEW 2 year contract (SO you will have to pay to get out of your existing contract if you have time left on it) or so an employee told me, you can not use a phone upgrade for it or get a discount. In addition the phone is going to be $500. I mean it is nice an all but for $500 there is alot coming out on the market that is very nice as well. I think I will wait about a year or so till the price drops and I can upgrade to it.

Amici
01-17-2007, 4:03 PM
What I heard from a buddy who is a manager at 3 cingular stores is this:
4 gb iPhone with new 2 yr contract: $500
4 gb iPhone w/o new contract: $800-900
8 gb iPhone with new 2 yr contract: $600
8 gb iPhone w/o new contract: $1000

What you have to realize is if you get a PDA phone such as a blackberry, blackjack, treo etc....then you will be paying roughly $200-300. This ALSO has the equivalent of a built in iPod Nano WITH video capability. So....

Blackberry Pearl with contract: $250
BBP w/o contract: $450
4 gb Nano: $199
8 gb Nano: $250

So a Blackberry and 4 gb nano are $450. Its a question of is it worth a lil extra to have it all rolled into one package....and there is definatly the "im cool" value of saying "oh yeah I have an iPhone."

-Charlie
(The newbie who actually knows about electronics but not tanks)

gwen_o_lyn
01-17-2007, 9:48 PM
ha ha Charlie! Welcome to the site and thanks for the scoop on the iPhone.

washowi
01-17-2007, 9:58 PM
Not a apple fan..never will pay for a device that a blackberry or treo already does..

kappaknight
01-17-2007, 9:58 PM
Why would they let you buy it without a contract? The only reason I would get it is if I need my phone and mp3 player rolled up into one. It gets pretty hard to go places with like 15 pieces of electronics in your hand... Of course, I'm exaggerating... but wallet, phone, mp3 player, camera, etc. Of course, if you can load a GPS software in there, so much the better.

washowi
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
look at a "Blackjack"...costs $199 and does it all...

hng
01-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Not sure how durable or convenient it will be. It's pretty big actually (4.5 X2.5 inches) so it's not very convenient to carry. And it's very thin so it might snap if you put it in your pocket and sit down. The whole thing is also a touch screen so no keypad which may make it hard to type emails. Still, it seems really cool, but I really don't see business people buying one. Probably mostly teenagers and twenty-somethings getting it. Wonder what Apple will turn into an "I" thing next?

Amici
01-18-2007, 12:48 AM
look at a "Blackjack"...costs $199 and does it all...

I actually bought a Blackjack and it had so many bugs that me and my friend who is a CINGULAR MANAGER both exchanged it for a Blackberry Pearl.

The Blackjack does it all....except:
-4 or 8 gb capacity
-3.5 inch widescreen touch display
-View the names of each voicemail you have and pick the order in which to listen to them
-Add a caller/Merge call feature with one touch of the button
-Sensor that senses when you raise it to your ear and deactivates the touchscreen to prevent accidental button pressing which causes hang ups and other stuff
-Pre-loaded nationwide map software with trip routing
-Doesn't delete an email after you read it once *cough* blackjack *cough*
-2 mega pixel camera with photo slideshow and photo organization utility
-Image editing
-Widgets to immediately access weather, stocks, notes, calculator, calendar and anything else you download.
-Rich HTML which allows you to view photos along with text in emails
-Ability to view webpages in their normal layout and zoom in on certain parts, then by simply turning it sideways it automatically shifts the screen to widescreen mode for easier viewing.
-Ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts the screen brightness for best viewing depending on the amount of light.
-Built in 802.11 b/g wireless card for Wi-Fi access
-Built in iTunes with the ability to view your music library by album cover, song name, artist name etc. Along with the ability to upload anything you download from the iTunes store
-Predictive text which automatically detects the word you are spelling which prevents mistaken button hits unlike more smart phones with small buttons

Sorry washowi, not a personal attack just HATE the Blackjack.
If ya dont believe me then check it out:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/

-Charlie
(King of the absurdly long posts)

washowi
01-18-2007, 1:09 AM
Nah, I won't convince you...when you throw the thing against the wall after you try typing an email on it or doing anything with it, we can talk...

What do you think the Iphone doen't have bugs in it as well? It's new like the Blackjack..It does..So they both work them out....

I personally use a BB8710...Wife has the Blackjack and loves it...I played with it and find no bugs in it? Maybe a bad unit...

She works for Cingular as well, in billing development and new projects. If you have a problem let me know.

Sprayin70
01-18-2007, 1:19 AM
I just bought my first PDA phone. I looked at them all and the one I bought was the Nokia E62. It has a big high resolution screen, full HTML browser with broad ban speed internet. The only thing I don't like is I have to download photos. the Blachjack has a camera, which is nice for Photo caller ID. I like the QWERTY keyboard and the keys are large enough that you don't have trouble typing on the E62. Do some research and chose your favorite.

washowi
01-18-2007, 1:30 AM
Also..Itunes blows......would rather download mp3's rather than be forced to use an Ipod and their format on their equipment only....

But if you have one, or any apple...you are stuck, so they are smart...just not smart enough to get me involved..

Xyzpdq0121
01-18-2007, 1:38 AM
All my PDA work has to be done on Windows Mobile. So looks like I am screwed there. On top of that, anyone who is all about apple most likely has atleast a nano if not a 60gb video. So they are now paying extra for the comfort of having it in a phone.

Don't get me wrong. Apple thought this thing through and it looks awsome! But for the price of a fully stocked nano tank, I think I will pass until it comes down in price a little more. :)

Amici
01-18-2007, 1:46 AM
Also..Itunes blows......would rather download mp3's rather than be forced to use an Ipod and their format on their equipment only....

But if you have one, or any apple...you are stuck, so they are smart...just not smart enough to get me involved..

On this one I have to kinda agree, itunes to me is a great media player but the iTunes store sucks. I have never bought any music or videos on there because Im a poor college student (GOOOO DAWGS!!!) who is on a network with 30 other guys and everyone has their music shared.....70 gbs of music and 40 gbs of videos, all of which legal of course, and counting :D I will have to say that I was a hardcore PC fan and even built a few computers. I then saw the only kid I knew who was better with computers than me buy a mac and was intrigued. I bought a Macbook Pro and have never looked back. Never had a virus, never crashed, TONS of free software and using a program called Parallels can even run windows. Give one a serious chance and if you dont like it then fair enough. Oh and if you ever go in a mac store, talk to the college aged kid in there playing with stuff. The people who work there are pricks but the people in there usually know just as much and are nicer. Lemme know the next meeting you will be at and ill bring my mac for you to play with if you havent ever tried one.

-Charlie
(I swear I will try to have a short post....sometime)

Cameron
01-18-2007, 3:09 AM

But if you have one, or any apple...you are stuck, so they are smart...just not smart enough to get me involved..I am with you. They can iXXXX all they want including the rumored iConsole and I avoid there closed/expensive architecture. That goes for Micro$oft as well. DRM sucks and I will stay with MP3 until they figure a way to suck it off my hard drives.

Besides to my knowledge few DirectX games work on it which is a rather large set of games... oh and in all my years working in corporate america, I have never seen a mac used. Course I don't work in the art world, but even that is moving away from mac and to specialize Linux workstations.

washowi
01-18-2007, 3:16 AM
I have been in corporate amaerica for over 20 years..Never saw an Apple at anytime...and I am an Architect by degree so I was in the art field...

The colleges now are Apple because they donate to the schools and feed them "apple" kool-aid.....

Let's see if the young one's in scholl or college get that reference :)

Vettesarebest
01-18-2007, 3:38 AM
Lol. I tunes does suck. I pods are cool but they have so many problems! Mine for no reason what so ever just decided to delete all my music. Luckily I still had it all on my computer but still. I had to re install the software.

Vettesarebest
01-18-2007, 3:39 AM
Doesn't PDA mean personal display of affection? How does that go with phones? I hear that one alot at school. lol HEY WATCH THE PDA!!!!! haha

Cameron
01-18-2007, 3:49 AM
I am hung up on the Creative Labs Muvo MP3 player myself, but I wanted a player that used standard batteries so I could change it on long backpack trips.

As for PDAs... I never want one of those again. When I managed people, it was part of my soul. After I exorcised that thing out of my life, I am doing my best to keep it out. One day I hope to chuck my cell phone as well.

hng
01-18-2007, 1:39 PM
Let's face it, few people use Apple computers, that's why their stock is doing poorly. Basically all of their income in the recent past came from the Ipod and then the Ipod nano. Now that everyone has a nano, they had to come out with the Iphone.