View Full Version : Are all canister filters alike other than a particular size?

bookysocks
11-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I see filters from Rena, Ehiem, Marineland...blah blah blah.
Is the quality pretty much the same across the board?
I want to get one to have when I first set up my aquarium then I will use it on my quarantine/hospital tank.

Does any one stand out at a resonable cost?

WILLIAM1
11-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I would consider just making a refugium for the MD tank its gonna save you money in the long run and much better for the tank. Quarintine tanks dont have to be much and I think a canister on a 10 or 20 gallon quarintine tank is overkill. There meant to be simple and cheap. I have only set one up 1 time in 2 years. just my opinion. Most canisters are very simalar.

Amici
11-19-2008, 10:52 AM
There are definite quality differences just like with any other product. The cheap ones will be.....cheap and the eheim will be awesome.

WILLIAM1
11-19-2008, 3:58 PM
There are definite quality differences just like with any other product. The cheap ones will be.....cheap and the eheim will be awesome.

true cheap is cheap.

mglenn
11-19-2008, 4:03 PM
You might want to consider the cost of replacement media and ease of maintenance. I have made the mistake of getting a filter I thought was a great deal, and then found it I couldn't change the media or clean the filter without making a mess.

WILLIAM1
11-19-2008, 5:49 PM
Thats why refugiums are such a good idea. No real cleaning or maintianing involved. So no extra cash out the window 1 or 2 times a month for filters. Its about saving money in this hobby.

stickx911
11-19-2008, 5:57 PM
Its about saving money in this hobby.

I disagree, its about putting your money into something else...but likely still the hobby (corals, lights, rock...etc) :D

I can see canisters as useful for tanks where a sump is not ideal. I have a 30g hex that would not be able to have sump under it (unless I plumbed it into the room behind it) so I'm considering a smallish canister to add flow and volume.

Ralph ATL
11-19-2008, 6:26 PM
they are also, great for holding media like gfo & carbon. easy to change out, too!

DannyBradley
11-19-2008, 7:06 PM
Hagen makes great canister filters. Look for a Fluval. Really easy to clean and change media without making a large mess. They're whisper quiet, also. I don't like the stack design of all the other canisters, it makes them too hard to service.

WILLIAM1
11-19-2008, 9:37 PM
[quote=stickx911;244728]I disagree, its about putting your money into something else...but likely still the hobby (corals, lights, rock...etc) :D

Im just saying saving money is good. And even better when you can put it other places that might also need attention. I thought spending money twice for the same thing is like throwing money out the window.

blind1993
11-19-2008, 9:39 PM
magnum 350 canister filters are good if you ditch the bio wheel.

DannyBradley
11-19-2008, 10:02 PM
magnum 350 canister filters are good if you ditch the bio wheel.

I hate those things. They're only good for polishing water and are noisy. Without the biowheel they're useless as a biological filter. A strong bio-filter which is exactly what you need on a QT tank to control NH3 and NO2.

bookysocks
11-20-2008, 2:17 AM
I Quarintine tanks dont have to be much and I think a canister on a 10 or 20 gallon quarintine tank is overkill. There meant to be simple and cheap. I have only set one up 1 time in 2 years. just my opinion. Most canisters are very simalar.

You have 7 fish and you didn't quarentine any of them prior to putting them in your main tank?

Thanks for your input.

meledward23
11-20-2008, 7:09 AM
Since I keep freshwater, and I have 2x50,2x55,2x46,2x75,1x360 I have had a few of these canisters of the years. Note I currently only have two tanks running as I have been out of town for 18 months and my wife has to keep the tanks up, the kids, the dogs, and the horses.

Anyway, the filters.

Rena XP - Probably my favorite filter. Baskets make it easy to clean. Efficient filter does a good job.

Fluval - 304 404 (never owned the fx5) - Mysecond favorite. Probably the easiest to maintain. Easiest to work with. Does a very good job, but not as good a job as the others.

Magnum 350 - Great filter when it works. I have had three Magnums in all. When they work they are a great polishing filter and really clean the heck out of the water in a short time. I keep the last one that works for just that. I hook it up after I do a major substrate disturbance or to clean up after medications.

Eheim - Probably the best filter for filtrations sake. A real pain in the tail to work with this one. The best and the worst all in one. I have a love hate relationship with this one.

In sumary I have owned 2 rena and fluval, 3 magnum , and 1 eheim. I would buy them in the following order: Rena, Fluval, Eheim, Magnum.

I also use AC100 (or 500's whatever they call them now). And my own DIY sumps. The all serve different funtions.

bookysocks
11-20-2008, 7:31 AM
Anyway, the filters.

Rena XP - Probably my favorite filter. Baskets make it easy to clean. Efficient filter does a good job.

Fluval - 304 404 (never owned the fx5) - Mysecond favorite. Probably the easiest to maintain. Easiest to work with. Does a very good job, but not as good a job as the others.

Magnum 350 - Great filter when it works. I have had three Magnums in all. When they work they are a great polishing filter and really clean the heck out of the water in a short time. I keep the last one that works for just that. I hook it up after I do a major substrate disturbance or to clean up after medications.

Eheim - Probably the best filter for filtrations sake. A real pain in the tail to work with this one. The best and the worst all in one. I have a love hate relationship with this one.

In sumary I have owned 2 rena and fluval, 3 magnum , and 1 eheim. I would buy them in the following order: Rena, Fluval, Eheim, Magnum.

I also use AC100 (or 500's whatever they call them now). And my own DIY sumps. The all serve different funtions.

18 month's TDY? If you're in the service as I suspect, thankyou.

Thanks for the imput. Makes me think the Rena's ease of maintenance trumps the Eheim's small edge on quality. The harder something is to work with, the less I like to work with it.

WILLIAM1
11-20-2008, 8:45 AM
You have 7 fish and you didn't quarentine any of them prior to putting them in your main tank?

Thanks for your input.
Your right I didnt QT any of my fish but I have never bought any fish from diseased or infected tanks. I only get livestock from a few people that I trust. And here is the link for the poll on QT new fish or coral. And 61% dont. So I dont think just becuase I dont QT doesnt mean I dont know or understand.

With great susccess in my tank and never having any type of outbreak disease or otherwise. Good luck with your canaster filter Im sure it will mimic the ocean..
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15169

meledward23
11-20-2008, 8:52 AM
No, not in the service.

I had an out of state job offer that I took. The wife was supposed to follow soon behind after we sold the house. No luck to date. Though I suspect she isn't as motivated to sell as I would like.

Looks like if little changes after the holidays I will go back to the house and telework from the house. Same job lower pay as I cant run around the office and fix everyone's screw ups in person. I can just take care of my business from the house.

bookysocks
11-20-2008, 9:25 AM
Your right I didnt QT any of my fish but I have never bought any fish from diseased or infected tanks. I only get livestock from a few people that I trust. And here is the link for the poll on QT new fish or coral. And 61% dont. So I dont think just becuase I dont QT doesnt mean I dont know or understand.

With great susccess in my tank and never having any type of outbreak disease or otherwise. Good luck with your canaster filter Im sure it will mimic the ocean..
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15169

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:V1w5kFUxp0mdtM:http://www.designofsignage.com/application/symbol/hands/image/600x600/hand-cross.jpg

Chibils
01-05-2009, 9:20 AM
Eheim filters are the best, but they're terrible to work with. I recommend Fluval or RENA. A refugium in conjunction to a canister is also good. The fuge will offer nitrate reduction, while phosban, carbon, etc. in the filter will remove other [toxic] compounds building in the water.

1mbrews8
01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
i had an eheim before i went with a sump and it was fine on my 150g. i still have it and another eheim(missing hoses) if your interested..
mike