View Full Version : New Tank Set-up

MitchS
12-24-2006, 7:37 PM
What would it cost for me to set-up a basic 50 gallon salt water tank. I would like a sea horse and a couple of clown fish and maybe a Bartletts Anthyius. Can you give me a needed equipment list with approximate prices?:fish:

Vettesarebest
12-24-2006, 9:02 PM
well there are MANY ways you can go at this. But are you looking to spend alot of money and get the best stuff or just wizz by?

family reefer
12-24-2006, 9:07 PM
I would look over the classifieds here for the equipment. As for the seahorses, they will need their own tank. They move so slowly that they will not be able to feed and slowly starve to death. ( The fish will swim faster and get all the food first ) The seahorse tank need not be too large. One of the larger Bio Cubes should be fine.( 24 or 29 Gal) They include all equipment and can be purchased for lees tahn $300. Keep watching this site and posting any Q's you may have. There is a wealth of information available from the members!

Vettesarebest
12-24-2006, 9:15 PM
This is true!! well teach you everything!! well... ok. Yes you cannot mix the seahorses with such fish you speak of. You can mix them with other horses and maybe a pipefish but nothing that moves faster than them or is agrassive. Also do not keep any corals that are potentially lethal to the seahorse when he wraps his tail around them. Like Galexia.

MitchS
12-24-2006, 9:54 PM
A 30 to 50 Gallon tank with 2 Clown Fish and a Bartletts Anthiys. What would be the total set-up cost. What equipment goes into to this tank. Can you put something together for about $350?:fish:

MitchS
12-24-2006, 10:06 PM
:yay: Is someone in Gwinnett County looking to sell a Tank of this type which is in good shape and deliver? I am currently out of work so I do not have alot of money to spend?

30 Gallon with stand light and filter....

Vettesarebest
12-25-2006, 7:38 AM
Well there is always a way to go cheaper and a way to go expensive. It sounds like you would like to go the cheaper way.

1. Filter - Sump or hang on back filter - $30.00-$200.00
2. Light - If you want to keep corals then it is about -$180.00 but without corals it is about $30.00-$50.00
3. Stand - depends on where you buy it and what kind you want. $40.00 - $150.00

I hope this helps out.

kappaknight
12-25-2006, 11:07 AM
No offense, but if you're not working, sinking money into this hobby may not be the best course of action. This thing is a blackhole for your wallet.

MitchS
12-25-2006, 12:23 PM
:eek: Once I am gainfully employed Fulltime I intend on setting up a Tank. My task now is just exploratory, and see what I need and things I need to consider? So any advice is welcome. I really would like a 50 Gallon Salt water Tank for my family room with some live rock.... Clown Fish and Anthyius.

If anyone knows of any openings for a Real Estate or Non Profit Accountant, please pass on leads to me.

Thanks,

gwen_o_lyn
12-25-2006, 10:40 PM
Be sure to pick up a few books to start.

http://www.marinedepot.com/IMD/150/BKCMAS.jpg

Lenny
12-26-2006, 11:18 AM
If you are planning on getting seahorses:

(Assuming you want full sized and not dwarves)

You need the tallest tank possible. It is possible to keep them in shorter tanks, but for breeding purposes and for general health it's better to keep them in a tank with a height of at least three times the length of your largest seahorse. The problems in shorter tanks come in to play mostly during breeding, which they do by traveling up and down in the water column. Too short of a tank means they won't be able to complete the mating and will spill eggs, or they won't even initiate the mating, which can lead to problems with the females becoming "egg-bound" when they cant transfer or purge the eggs they've been growing. I had them in a 29gal regular tank to start (2 pairs) and one pair actually got themselves pregnant in it, but you want a tank that's at least 18" tall, pref. 24" if there's any way you can get one.

As far as putting them with other fish, the above posters are mostly right. They need to be with other slow moving enhabitants of the tank. Fish such as many of the Goby family, and Cardinalfish make good tankmates. You can also add in various shrimps for some variety (though when I tried a coral banded, it took pot shots at everything in the tank and I had to get rid of him... now I just have peppermint, Camel, Skunk Cleaner, and Fire in there).

Another issue to consider is tank flow... If you're using just a hang on back filter, or something else that provides a low flow return then you're gonna be fine, but avoid any real high intensity jets/current in a seahorse tank.

And if you're going to get one, please consider getting at least two... They are very social animals, and most of the reading and observation I've done suggest that they do best in higher numbers, since in the wild they form "herds" (though they mark out their own territories). I'd say at least get a male/female pair, which will help them meet their social and biological needs.... and the way they reproduce once they get to know each other means that you will almost certainly have them making babies within a few months of setting them up in their new home!) haha. We know that in the wild, the mostly pair bond and mate for life, but in captivity, it's turning out that they're fairly promiscuous little buggers!

So, as I've posted on here before.. If you're thinking about keeping seahorses, then the tank should be designed to accomodate a good environment for them.

If you have any more questions about seahorses, please feel free to PM me or ask them here. I'm only about 7 months into keeping them, but i've learned a lot.

Lifestudent
12-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi Mitch!

Please checkout this thread where someone is selling a 30G long setup: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90992

Bob

tsciarini
12-26-2006, 1:17 PM
A general rule of thumb for setup costs is aprox $50 per gallon. It actually works out to be fairly accurate (slowing down a bit with the 180+ gal systems)
It's always a good route to buy used equipment when available.