View Full Version : Any disadvantage to running two skimmers?

Amici
09-19-2008, 2:06 PM
I love my deltec skimmer but it just isnt gonna cut it on the 165g volume of my next system. I am thinking of getting either a huge recirc skimmer or adding a second small recirc skimmer beside the deltec and just run both. Is there any disadvantage anyone can foresee?

James S.
09-19-2008, 2:14 PM
How do you know it wont cut it? I would wait it out and see how it does before dropping more cash for another skimmer.

But honestly I see no disadvantages other then more space taken up by two skimmers.

Amici
09-19-2008, 2:21 PM
Haha I like to overstock.........alot. Its a fun little thing I learned the tricks to and one of those is overskimming. My deltec TS1250 is only rated at 125g normally stocked so I dont think its gonna really keep up.

glxtrix
09-19-2008, 2:27 PM
I think if you have the space, it can have it's advantages. Granted you get more heat in the tank from the pump....if it's in sump. But you have another skimmer rated at X and it may pull a different amount of DOC's from the tank. Also need to think about power outtage and what the skimmer bodys water volume is...dont need any spillage. But, it may be a waste at the same time, more electricity, more heat (possibly) and more space to use up. More air in the system so more evap will happen and you may just be wasting money buying another smaller skimmer. Oh so many choices.

Skriz
09-19-2008, 2:50 PM
One better skimmer is better than 2 smaller skimmers.

It'll run more efficiently and remove more waste. If you run 2 skimmers, neither will work at capacity.

(We've ran some tests at MRC)

Sell the deltec and buy a larger unit.

FutureInterest
09-19-2008, 3:06 PM
Often when you have 2 skimmers running, one will skim very well and the other one won't do much at all. I'm not sure why this occurs but I've seen it happen a few times. So much so that the second skimmer is just taken off line. This is just my experience though... I'm sure some people may have made it work as well...

Skriz
09-19-2008, 5:11 PM
Often when you have 2 skimmers running, one will skim very well and the other one won't do much at all. I'm not sure why this occurs but I've seen it happen a few times. So much so that the second skimmer is just taken off line. This is just my experience though... I'm sure some people may have made it work as well...

That's the best case scenario that I've seen.

Amici
09-19-2008, 5:14 PM
Great. Thanks guys thats what I needed to know. *sigh* I guess its gonna be a matter of finding/picking a good recirc skimmer.

Skriz
09-19-2008, 5:16 PM
I can reccomend a good one :D

Amici
09-19-2008, 5:21 PM
HAHAHA I already sent you a pm before I even saw that! lol

andregarcia_73
09-24-2008, 1:04 AM
WE ALL KNOW WHAT HE WAS GOING TO SAY! LOL I always try to buy a skimmer that is rated for twice what water vol i have but sometimes it hurts to spend the extra few 100's. Hope you find a great skimmer that works great for your next tank.