View Full Version : Marineland Advanced In-Sump Skimmer

Crew
09-19-2008, 2:33 AM
Ok, so I've just started setting my tank up after having it sit empty for a few months and I needed a skimmer. I went over to Marine Fish, and at Dave's advice, got the Marineland 100 Advanced In-Sump Skimmer... (by the way, that ARC discount is ******)

Since I don't have a tank established yet, I can't tell you what kind of gunk its going to pull out, soooo being an engineer, i've decided to make some dirty water for it to skim. Mainly so I can break it in (it says 5 days in the manual, but i was going to do 2 weeks) and also so I can see how this thing performs.

Originally I took a 5 gallon bucket, filled it partly with salt water, and then poured in some brine shrimp mix as the dirt

I placed in the skimmer and turned it on, and within 5 minutes the mix, in entirity was inside the collection cup haha, so my guess is it works well?? I will have to see how it does with something less solid later, but it produces mass amounts of tiny bubbles and its extremely quite... can't hear a thing

Oh, did I mention its footprint is like 5 inches??

I'll post pics up later, here is the factory photo
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1381/marinelandmw6.th.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=marinelandmw6.jpg)

saltwater junky
09-19-2008, 5:27 AM
i have the 300 pro and i was amazed.

glxtrix
09-19-2008, 8:20 AM
Looks like a little coralife super skimmer. Hopefully they work better however. I mean, those things skim very well, but I know they went thu a period of leaky parts. Good thinking of starting it up now and getting it thu the break in period. Let us know how it works out on the tank.

saltwater junky
09-19-2008, 8:51 AM
mine cam from a display at macna so no break infor me.

Crew
09-19-2008, 11:05 AM
im still looking at ways to modify it, not that it needs any modification, but perfection is always one step closer you know? any ideas SW junky?

Amici
09-19-2008, 11:47 AM
The only mods I could possibly think of is mesh modding the impeller and possibly a recirc if you wanted to pull a bit more gunk. I dont know if the recirc would do more harm than good though because I cant see how the pump feeds into the chamber. Maybe you could add a bubble plate? I cant really see the chamber all that well in the stock pic so I dunno.

Chris619
09-19-2008, 2:44 PM
I have a 120 I am in the process of building. Was thinking of going with an octo. but like the footprint of the marineland. You can not replce parts on it though so I here. Any input would be helpful. Also, is one better than the other? Price is equivalent.

jp30338
09-20-2008, 11:41 PM
I have one for my 125g, it works great! :thumbs:

saltwater junky
09-21-2008, 7:25 AM
nope no ideas .

savingnemo754
04-02-2009, 9:57 PM
Carty,

Hows it working after a couple months? I was thinking of getting a 300 for my 90 gal.

bobz
04-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I've been using a 300 in the sump for my 70G for a couple of months and I am very happy with it. Works great, small foot print and easy to clean the cup.

roundman
04-03-2009, 5:19 AM
I have a 300 on my system and I can't keep up with the cup. It skims like crazy. It did take a while to get it broke in.

Oil_Fan
04-03-2009, 11:54 PM
I have a 300 on my system and I can't keep up with the cup. It skims like crazy. It did take a while to get it broke in.
The breaking in period takes forever. I have the 100 gallon model in my 65 gallon setup. The manual says something like a week or 10 days but it took like a month to get the thing broken in for me. And it is very sensitive to the water level in the tank.

Though I do have to say I love the compact design!! And now that it's been up and running for a number of months, it does a very good job. And if you use an ATO, then the thing is very predictable so you know when you'll have to clean out the cup.

Crew
04-04-2009, 2:59 AM
took me a week