View Full Version : Good news..maybe the world is becoming aware

washowi
09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
nice article

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/regions/view/20080904-158664/Davao-fisherman-saves-beached-whale-shark-from-slaughter

washowi
09-11-2008, 12:47 PM
but then again..you see this...

http://nnsl.com/northern-news-services/stories/papers/sep8_08wh.html

Linda Lee
09-11-2008, 3:22 PM
but then again..you see this...

The first article above is definitely a feel-good story, but this one seems more like local folk harvesting for food. Belugas are held dear by us, but then again our pantries are rarely empty and a fast-food drive-thru is usually nearby.

"Everybody went down there. It was like a big community gathering," said Angela Keogak.

With two whales brought in, there was no shortage of muktuk and meat to go around.

Amos said it feels good to know people in the community won't have to rely on pails of muktuk ordered from the mainland this winter. "All the muktuk went to elders first and then after that everybody around town got muktuk and meat to make dry meat," he said.

And it sounds like this was a rare event and not the norm for this village.

By the way, Todd, have you heard any more updates on shark-finning? Did ARC ever send a letter of any kind?

washowi
09-11-2008, 4:43 PM
I have all kinds of info on shark finning.. I am doing what I can, writing to people, talking to ALOT of people......talked to the GAI about doing something.....I spent time in Bonaire with the Cousteau's...we discussed it and what they are doing.....

Most here don't see beyond Atlanta..let alone the world...that's fine...I see the bigger picture and want to do more......like Sylvia Earle, Alex Brylske, Bruce Carlson.....those people are doers....so I am trying to mould myself in their likes with my own flavors added.

as for the Belugas....as food..MOST belugas are considered toxic waste in the wild due to high mercury levels....so killing them is not a good idea anyway....