View Full Version : What to do with Mantis?

Darren24
12-11-2006, 2:18 PM
OK after listening and watching for a couple of months now I finally found the source of the "clicling" in my tank. I saw a Mantis today that looks to be about 1.5 inches. It looks dark (black) with some orange or red on it. Kind of striking looking no pun intended. Anyway I will be trying to trap him (inverted bottle method) starting tonight but need some ideas on what to do when I catch him. Please keep the suggestions humane!

kwl1763
12-11-2006, 2:26 PM
Take him to the LFS. Post on here free to a good home. I had 6 or 7 in my tank several years ago in Dallas and always posted when I caught one and someone was always willing to adopt them. They're quite cool but need their own place!

George
12-11-2006, 2:41 PM
I have been noticing a clicking in my tank too (like glass-on-glass) and thought it was the thermometer cut loose, but I'm starting to think it's a mantis.

What's the "inverted bottle" method?

Darren24
12-11-2006, 2:55 PM
I was told to take a water bottle and cut the top (where the cap screws on) off and invert it kind of like a funnel. Then put some frozen food in the bottle and place it near where the mantis lives. They say that they can get in but not out. Do this after lights out. I will let you know if or when it works.

flyingarmy
12-11-2006, 2:56 PM
Quick question....

I have heard that same sound from my reef tank. Could it be a Mantis Shrimp? If not what esle could it be?

B33FST3W
12-11-2006, 2:56 PM
Why dont you just keep it? They really dont harm much in the tank, other than a couple snails or hermits. They dont really even bother those if you keep it well fed. They are very cool to watch too. If you want to get rid of him, you could go to reefcentral's mantis forum and post it up for adoption.

B33FST3W
12-11-2006, 3:00 PM
Quick question....

I have heard that same sound from my reef tank. Could it be a Mantis Shrimp? If not what esle could it be?Could be a mantis or it could be a pistol shrimp. Look for broken snail shells, if you find some, then its a mantis. You could try puting a piece of shrimp in there and (if nothing else eats it first) watch for the mantis to eat it (when I had one, it LOVED shrimp and would fly out of its burrow and grap the piece I put in)

glxtrix
12-11-2006, 3:19 PM
if anything I'll take him if you get him out. Not too sure if this works for them or not, but I know it works for pods and other inverts, but take some red film, like red see thu laminate or something of that sort and cover it on a flashlight, most inverts cant see red so you can look in your tank and not have them scurry away.

George
12-11-2006, 3:47 PM
Won't mantis shrimp go after other inverts like Pepermint shrimp, cleaners, and Banded Corals? I've seen some unexplained attrition in these categories.

Vettesarebest
12-11-2006, 4:05 PM
sure enough i have the clicking in my tank to i probably hear it 2 or three times a day but i know it is a pistol shrimp because i have seen him so it could be either one mantis or pistol. He is pretty chill but hes only about an inch maybe less.

glxtrix
12-11-2006, 4:22 PM
mantis shrimp I venture will go after anything if its hungry. They tend to eat crustations, but they will go after fish.

B33FST3W
12-11-2006, 4:33 PM
I had mine with 3 fish, snails and hermits and a green star. It only would go after the snails and hermits, and that is only if I hadnt fed him for a few days. They are very smart and will go after the easiest meal, so if they know you give it food, it wont waste time hunting.

One time it did go after a fish, but the fish was very sick and on the brink of death anyways (it had been involved in a rockslide and was cut down 2/3 of its body). For some reason it never killed the fish, and the fish ended up surviving.

glxtrix
12-11-2006, 4:40 PM
ah yes the salt heals the wounds. But to anyone who has one of these guys, i'll gladly take em off your hands if you dont want.

James S.
12-11-2006, 5:40 PM
I will take him as well,ive been looking for one.

fishwhisperer
12-11-2006, 5:52 PM
I had a well behaved mantis for several years. Never bothered a thing. I'm not recommending you keep it but some can be well behaved. If the bottle method does not work try taking the rock out of the tank (if this is possible) that he lives in.

Lifestudent
12-11-2006, 6:14 PM
I had a well behaved mantis for several years...

Sally I know you're telling the truth, but that just sounds too "fishy"! Seems there should be an oxymoron in there somewhere! :wow2: :yikes: :ahh: LOL

Bob

johnqx4
12-11-2006, 6:57 PM
One of my favorite tanks was a species tank with a mantis. Next to my snowflake moray it had the most personality that I ever saw in a fish. I have another one (species tank) in the works (nothing but live rock at the moment). I would gladly take it and treat it well.

Pound for pound... The mantis shrimp may be the most feared predator that god has produced. To treat it with less respect that it has earned... it's just not right...

Of course, I have only had them when and where I was prepared :eek:

johnny

Showtime305
12-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Good luck getting it out of the tank.

johnqx4
12-12-2006, 6:49 AM
I'm sure this goes with out saying... but, don't reach in there and try and grab him..:lol2:

flyingarmy
12-12-2006, 7:18 AM
Well last night I did some investigating and I think mine might be a pistol shrimp. I have plenty of dead snails, but all my hermits that have died do not have any cracked shells. I heard the loud poping again right after the lights went out last night. Glad to know its not a Mantis, even though they would be an interesting livestock to keep.

But I do have a 8 inch bristleworm that I tried to capture again last night with a bottle trap and piece of shrimp. No luck, it came out for a bit but would never fully extend out of under the rock. Unless I pulled all the LR out I don't think I'll be able to get it out. Any suggestions?

George
12-12-2006, 8:30 AM
Unless I pulled all the LR out I don't think I'll be able to get it out. Any suggestions?
It's definitely a bristleworm and not a tube worm? Best thing is to leave the trap out and stop feeding the tank for a bit, in my experience.

flyingarmy
12-12-2006, 8:40 AM
It's definitely a bristleworm and not a tube worm? Best thing is to leave the trap out and stop feeding the tank for a bit, in my experience.

It's definitely a bristle...and thanks for the advice!
http://www.flyingarmy.com/Worm.jpg

glxtrix
12-12-2006, 11:06 AM
wow man, get that bad boy out of there now

kwl1763
12-13-2006, 9:23 AM
Leave him there. The bristle worm iwon't hurt a thing.

Your hermits are probably muching on your snails more then anything. If it is a pistol it's nothing to worry about and in reality much of what is stated here is true. Most of the hitchiker mantis are small ones that don't reach over a couple inches and will most likely only much a few of the cleanup crew every now and again with no real harm!

The only way I ever had sucess removing them was to take a 4" or so peice of 3/4" PVC. Rubberband a peice of mesh or pantyhose over one end (this is so you can see the guy go in later) and drill a small hole near the other end and tie a several foot long peice of fishing line to it. Put in a big chuck of raw shrimp and put the open end close to the mantis's home. Usually within about 15 minutes they would go in the tube then you just yank it quickly out. I caught 6 this way within a couple weeks. The inverted bottle trick never worked for me!

If you catch the bristleworm I'll take him! They are great clean up guys!

Lenny
12-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I also have noticed an occasional clicking sound since I added some live rock last week. Is there a different sound between the pistol shrimp and the mantis? Last night Kayla mentioned that the mantis usually does 2-3 clicks in quick succession, but is there any other difference? I also hear clicks when the seahorses snick something up, but it's usually a single snick at a time.

Ms. K
12-13-2006, 8:58 PM
Mantis shrimp clicks can be quite loud if it is of any size. They don't necessarily do pops in quick succession. They can pop once and not pop again for a while, depending upon the reason for the pop. I don't know anything about pistol shrimp...are you sure it isn't the pistol that does the successive clicking?

Lenny
12-13-2006, 10:16 PM
the only thing that im sure of is that I'm a noob who doesnt know anything! :)