View Full Version : Damsels in new tank cycling

boxermark
11-30-2006, 7:45 AM
A colleague recommended that I add a couple of Damsels while my new tank is cycling. Then when the cycling has completed remove them and find a new home for them. He said the Damsels are hardy and would survive the process.

The live rock has been cured but the tank was moved and a complete water change has been done.

Any comments? Anyone have some they want to get rid of?

judochop
11-30-2006, 7:53 AM
I have used damsels to help cycle a tank but I have found it best to just drop table shrimp in the tank and let it decompose. The damsels can tolerate the cycle but it still seems a little harsh when table shrimp works fine.

I used two medium shrimp tails to cycle my 20g QT tank. It took 4 weeks and the initial ammonia spike was over 2.0ppm within the first week. I followed the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels the whole time.

Regards,

mojo
11-30-2006, 8:19 AM
Using damsels to cycle is cruel and is simply not done or recommended anymore. The cycling of live rock will do the same thing - no need to add any food at all. The bacteria on the rock already exists in large numbers - you just need to wait for the cycle to complete with rock only then slowly add the fish you want.

The shrimp idea works as well, but isn't really necessary...

Kevin
11-30-2006, 4:48 PM
I completely agree with Chris... Just one thing to add... .Once Damsels are in the tank, good luck getting them out! You really don't want damsels in your reef tank (says the guy with 2).

I have been trying to get mine out, but haven't been able to do so successfully

burdundi
11-30-2006, 9:21 PM
I also agree with Chris. Live rock will do everything you need.

boxermark
11-30-2006, 9:22 PM
It's unanimous. I won't use Damsels.

James S.
11-30-2006, 9:37 PM
I completely agree with Chris... Just one thing to add... .Once Damsels are in the tank, good luck getting them out! You really don't want damsels in your reef tank (says the guy with 2).

I have been trying to get mine out, but haven't been able to do so successfully

+1 those dam damsels are extremely quick and smarter then i ever could have imagined.wont ever do that again.

judochop
12-01-2006, 7:07 AM
The live rock has been cured but the tank was moved and a complete water change has been done.

I did not know that cured live rock will cycle a tank. If it is cured and placed in a tank, wont there be no die off? I thought the rock had to be uncured to start a cycle. Then again I am very new to this hobby. :)

leveldrummer
12-01-2006, 4:51 PM
I did not know that cured live rock will cycle a tank. If it is cured and placed in a tank, wont there be no die off? I thought the rock had to be uncured to start a cycle. Then again I am very new to this hobby. :)if the rock is cured, it wont cycle... thats the point! if its truly cured, toss some fish in. your ready to go, but generally when moving rock, exposing it to air and such, you will have a little die off, and you just have to wait on the ammonia and nitrITE to bottom out and its cycled. base rock, if its dead, will be inert and wont affect the tank either way. but if the base rock isnt clean, you can have a spike and need to wait on the cycle.

Showtime305
12-02-2006, 1:19 AM
I don't think I will ever but another damsel. They are some very cool fish that are active and bring color to a reef tank, but they can be aggressive and a pain to remove. I laugh at people that are buying them while I'm at an LFS.

leveldrummer
12-02-2006, 9:46 AM
I don't think I will ever but another damsel. They are some very cool fish that are active and bring color to a reef tank, but they can be aggressive and a pain to remove. I laugh at people that are buying them while I'm at an LFS.
it would be nice to see people set up damsel tanks, but you would have to do it like a cichlid tank. over stock it to spread aggresion, and keep only damsels. would make for a very cool and fun to watch tank. and cheap too!

Showtime305
12-02-2006, 9:49 AM
A damsel/anemone tank would be a great idea.