View Full Version : The ARC does community outreach

Xyzpdq0121
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
This past week, Raj and I went to the Peachtree Christian School in Midtown to do a bit of education and outreach for their vacation bible school. The theme was beach adventures. A special thanks goes out to our friends at Marine & Tropical Fish for allowing me and Raj to raid the store and pick out livestock to take down to the kids. We set out a "hands on" display so the kids could learn about different creatures from the ocean reefs and interact with them. As you can see by the pictures below, it was a great afternoon.

Again, THANK YOU to Marine Fish and Raj for helping us out on this. You both went above and beyond the call of duty to make this happen. This is what the ARC is all about, IMHO.

jade76
07-25-2008, 3:04 PM
thats awsome!!!

LorenK
07-25-2008, 3:24 PM
Very nice! Good going guys.

Barbara
07-25-2008, 4:35 PM
Brandon, how did you find out about this opportunity for VBS? That's pretty cool.

Reefwife
07-25-2008, 4:36 PM
Brandon, how did you find out about this opportunity for VBS? That's pretty cool.

The leader of the school/program contacted Brandon via email.

SShindell
07-25-2008, 5:00 PM
Great job ARC.

TriGa22
07-25-2008, 5:21 PM
This is what I love to see the ARC involved in, and a LFS. Awsome job. And thanks Marine Fish for helping out the community.

Xyzpdq0121
07-25-2008, 6:04 PM
This is what I love to see the ARC involved in, and a LFS. Awsome job. And thanks Marine Fish for helping out the community.

Yes, I can not say thank you enough to Marine Fish.... Seriously, I contacted Matt, Dave and Don over at MF and said, "Guys, I need ya!". All I got back was, "Whatever you need, take it!" I felt like I robbed them by the time I was done. I expected to go in and get about 5 things... Instead I left with 15+!! Matt was like, "Here just take this BTA and these clowns... How about some more fish... How about some cucumbers.... How about some shrimp.... How about...."

johnr2604
07-25-2008, 6:37 PM
awsome job. Maybe you instilled the seed in a future reefer:up:

Skriz
07-26-2008, 9:57 AM
I would love to see the ARC get more involved in projects such as this. Marine Fish was phenomenal in their involvement. Like Brandon said, we just went in there and raided the store. Nothing was off limits and they were more than gracious in accomodating all of our needs.

It was quite an eventful DAY!!!

tebriel
07-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Maybe you instilled the seed in a future reefer

i could comment, but this is just way too easy

johnr2604
07-26-2008, 1:41 PM
i could comment, but this is just way too easyLOL, thats not how I wanted it to sound.

Showtime305
07-26-2008, 3:40 PM
Great Job!!! I bet they had a blast.

Morris
07-26-2008, 8:34 PM
Just glad we could help.

JetChris
07-28-2008, 11:11 AM
congrats guys, thats great you did that for those kids.

DannyBradley
07-28-2008, 9:21 PM
If you want a hand with this in the future, I'll be more than happy to lend a hand in the future if my schedule permits. I used to do this a fair amount while working at Petland - Dunwoody. For the higher age classes you can actually make it lesson specific. I've brough out fish native to the continent or region that was being studied.

If you find a science class with a fish tank you can show real world at home practical chemistry within a reef tank.

A tip for next time- A big eel is always the favorite.

Reefmaker
07-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Good job Guys....ARC giving back to the community.

georgiasunflower
07-31-2008, 1:22 PM
i could comment, but this is just way too easy
LOL, thats not how I wanted it to sound.
LOL Given the correct interpretation of this message … I would LOVE to hear those conversations when the kids got home… “MOM I want a Reef Tank… Mom, I want Nemo and an annemmmennmemee just like the guys had at VBS today…” Oh the days when they just wanted a pony!!:)

Really though guys that was great. I am sure the kids had a blast! Nice job.