View Full Version : Staining Tank Stand

boxermark
11-28-2006, 8:09 AM
The set-up I just got came with an unfinished stand and canopy. I want to stain it so it looks finished. However the critters are sitting in buckets of water since last night. Should I go ahead and finish the stand since it will require sanding and staining? Or should I set up everything to minimize the stress on the livestock? I'm concerned that if I finish the stand after the tank has bee set-up, the vibrations from sanding will stress the livestock and the vapors from the stain and poly may harm them.

My choices seem to be:
1. Take 2 days to finish stand before set-up.
2. Go ahead and set up. Finish at later date working around tank.
3. Set up now. Finsh later but break down set-up. (Doesn't sound liek good option.)

Any advice?

Kevin
11-28-2006, 8:51 AM
Move the critters to a differnt part of your house if you are going to sand and stain the setup. You can use an air bubbler to keep the water oxygenated.

mojo
11-28-2006, 8:51 AM
The sanding and finishing most likely won't do any harm, but vapors from the curing of stain and polyeurethane might. I'd just do a few extra water changes in your buckets and do the staining and finishing outside...

goodfortune
11-28-2006, 9:52 AM
I'd go w/ what Kevin suggested; I would go ahead and stain and seal the stand and canopy before you set your tank up. The wood will need to be protected from spills and stains which will happen. The critters should be fine if you put an airstone in thier container, or better yet, a seeded sponge filter if you have one available.

Another hint; when you apply the stain, make sure that you shake the stain really well and use wood conditioner. I've never had a problem with uneven staining when I've used wood conditioner. Good Luck!!!

- Michael