View Full Version : Ranco digital temp controller

TAftonomos
05-31-2008, 8:17 AM
This is brand new! I mounted it, wired it up, and then realized I need to get the dual controller for my tank.

$80 + shipping.

It's wired up with a outlet to plug your heater or fan into, and a cord/plug. Has approx 5' of cord so mounting it will be easy.

I need to buy one of the dual controllers, so if someone has one of those, please PM me :)

TAftonomos
07-19-2008, 9:21 AM
Bumpage

TAftonomos
03-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Bump!

ares
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
in the nicest possible way, these are 60$ brand new from ranco... I cant comment on where you bought it from(or the price when you bought it), might have paid more of course. just a tip since this has been up for almost 12 months, might have to go lower on the price.

TAftonomos
03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Didn't know they were $60 new. I may be incorrect, but I believe they have changed them. Wern't the older ones better than the new stuff as well? I'm not sure?.

I paid $89, and I shopped them to death before I bought. It's wired into an outlet now, so that takes some guesswork out of setting it up.

Whats fair?

EnderG60
03-30-2009, 6:33 AM
you know there is a relay connection point on the 1stage that will allow you to control two devices right? That way you can switch which one is on at a certain temp. You just cant set the two seperatly.

I did it on mine and set the chiller to 79, the heater to 81 and the ranco to 80 and it worked great.

Linda Lee
03-30-2009, 8:41 AM
I ... set the chiller to 79, the heater to 81 and the ranco to 80 and it worked great.

Could you use this with two heaters? Set them both to 80?

If so, I'd be interested in this.

TAftonomos
03-30-2009, 8:57 AM
you know there is a relay connection point on the 1stage that will allow you to control two devices right? That way you can switch which one is on at a certain temp. You just cant set the two seperatly.

I did it on mine and set the chiller to 79, the heater to 81 and the ranco to 80 and it worked great.

No, I didn't know that. It's not the dual stage Ranco though.

More information please?

To the other poster.....you can plug as many heaters into this ranco as long as they don't pull more than 17amps if I remember correctly.

ares
03-30-2009, 9:05 AM
and you can use things like the HD expansion box from the aquacontroller, which is basicly just a fancy relay outlet. it will let you spread the load to other outlets but still be switched on by the ranco.

EnderG60
03-30-2009, 9:38 AM
If you open it up to wire it, the connection point to the power(the relay that turns stuff on and off) it has two connections. One is NC(normally closed) and the other is NO(normally open) 1 stage units have the power connected to the NO port. which means its off until the controller tells it to turn on. I put my chiller on this port and set it to come on at 80.

you can wire a second outlet off the NC port which means its on until the controller decided to activate the relay. Meaning the NC port is now off and the NO port is now on. I hooked my heaters to this one.

Basically your telling the controller that at 80degrees(or whatever you set it to) take power off one plug and send it to the other one. Rather then with a 2 stage you set two seperate on/off temps for each item. you can actually do this same thing with a 2 stage and use it to control 3 or 4 devices.