View Full Version : no choice - 300 gall reef tank breakdown

slayer
05-12-2008, 1:58 PM
hey guys,, thankx for your kind words and prayers. Lizella got hit pretty bad on sunday, roofs are missing off houses, cars are flipped upside down, trees fallen down everywhere.. Luckily my house was untouched.

I still have no electricity and according to ga power and the guys working out here, i wont have any for 5 more days..

So my break down is coming sooner then i thought... all my coral are up for grabs.. i have a 300 gall tank packed to the brim. I have too much too list and not enough time or juice remaining on my laptop. will give frags away from $10 - $20 including my le stuff... just to make sure it goes before anything bad happens.. everything is alive and kicking still but dont know about 6 days without power

jesse has got his power back and plan on stealing his generator later today, to make sure the tank doesnt crash...

im home all week as my clinic has no power too. pm me if you want to come by...as for the folks who i was gonna bring stuff up to the meeting for, im sorry but i wont be able to make it.. Cant leave my 38 week pregnant wife at home in the dark...lol... hope you understand..

thankx again,,,p.s i wont be able to get online until i get jessee's generator..

heres some links as to what i have

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13926

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7805

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10953

LiveRock27
05-12-2008, 2:08 PM
Sorry to hear about the power still being off. Hope the family is doing well and good luck on breaking down the tank.

Amici
05-12-2008, 2:33 PM
You got pm Jaime. If you need some help this week let me know. I can come down on Wednesday and crash with my friend. You got my number. Best of luck.

Sprayin70
05-12-2008, 2:41 PM
Sorry to hear that man. I hope everything goes well. I will pm you when i get home tomorrow. Best wishes for you.

flyingarmy
05-12-2008, 2:52 PM
**** Jamie...hope they get it up sooner. I just went through a night without power so I can understand. Good luck getting everything out before you lose them. Wish you were closer!

etoh_is_good
05-12-2008, 2:59 PM
i'm hoping that you get power sooner, buddy. stay safe.

etoh

mojo
05-12-2008, 3:50 PM
Jamie - I've sent a PM. I can either come by tonight and get some corals or buy and bring a generator for you.

If someone has his phone number, please pm it to me.

LorenK
05-12-2008, 4:19 PM
PM'd you his mobile.

Jamie - I've sent a PM. I can either come by tonight and get some corals or buy and bring a generator for you.

If someone has his phone number, please pm it to me.

92corner
05-12-2008, 4:34 PM
I am sorry to hear about your tank. I am glad that everyone is OK. However, it must be hard to let go the things that you love. I hope you be able have the generator and keep everything alive and keep everything.

James S.
05-12-2008, 4:45 PM
Got any mushrooms/softies left??? If so can you PM me with what is not spoken for??? Thanks

mfliin
05-12-2008, 4:51 PM
Anyone planning on going down want to car pool?

MarkL
05-12-2008, 5:11 PM
whats your le list. are you still going to make the meeting tomorrow?

ace1204
05-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Anyone planning on going down want to car pool?

Id like to go down but i dont get off til 5 tommorrow. im in acworth too maybe we could split gas down there and back? Have you talked to him yet?

RaisingTwo2006
05-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, Jamie, sorry to hear that!! That really sucks!! I heard that in Lake Wildwood (where we lived before moving here) was near destroyed! Not hardly a tree still standing- and they were everywhere!

I don't know that anything in your awesome tank would like moving down to my PCs.. But if there is anything I can do to help you or your wife out during this time, let me know!! I don't have anything to do..ever.. and could come anytime.

horsesziggy
05-12-2008, 10:19 PM
jamie, if you need to put anything or all here you're welcome to.

sal my cell is 678-491-5027

johnr2604
05-12-2008, 10:24 PM
I need to get some zoas from him. I will give you a call in the morning Jamie. maybe I could help salvage something for the meeting. Sorry about your misfortune.

mfliin
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Id like to go down but i dont get off til 5 tommorrow. im in acworth too maybe we could split gas down there and back? Have you talked to him yet?

Nope, Pmed but no answer yet. Hopefully tomorrow we will know more and be able to car pool down.

wable
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
hey, got a new generator you can borrow if you like. needs to be ran some. i've had it for 3 yrs and never used it. cool if anyone wants to take it to him. pm me

jefft
05-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Jamie has my generator and is tapping onto a neighbors. I'm not sure he's going to the meeting, I'm not going to make it. If you come down (to Macon) be careful exiting onto US80 the road is clear, but there is a lot of trees down. As of right now there is no street lights on US80 so treat intersections as 4 way stops. Eat and use the bathroom prior to coming into Macon. After the Zebulon Rd exit on I475 there is no power so restraunts and gas stations are closed. He has no phone service or cable so no internet, unless he goes to someone elses place or work.

Amici
05-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Jeff, Will you let him know I want to come down next time you talk to him? I have a friends place I can stay at and would be more than willing to help.

ankur1113
05-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear about the trouble you are going thru and hope everything works out for you

1mbrews8
05-13-2008, 1:39 AM
jamie, i heard about you from lori and her daughter at macon pets. i just am setting my tank up, but would love to see if you have any lights for a 6ft 150g tank. call me at 478-256-7870 if you have any. i can't get any coral forom u til i have lights. i'll be at mp tue at around 1ish to give her a water sample. thanks, and good luck.
michael

slayer
05-13-2008, 8:22 AM
hey guys ...thankx for all your offers for helping me out,, i tried returning everyones pm this morning,, wow, there was a lot,, and thats why this is an awesome club... gotta thank jeff for showing up out of the blue with his gene,, got the tank running again, even have the metal halides turning on one at a time for 3 hours a piece,, i think im gonna pull through,, i pm'd everyone that asked for my address and phone # i'll be home all day today also, sorry my phone lost power last night and in the middle of trying to hook stuff up and trying to appease a pizza craving pregnant wife ,i didnt get to my phone messages.,,.
the easiest way to get hold of me is to call me ....

i still dont have power this morning, and if your planning on coming down here, be careful, theres still down trees and powerlines...

briandg
05-13-2008, 1:04 PM
If anyone's thinking about making the trip, I strongly recommend it. Jaime was extremely helpful in helping figure out which corals would thrive in my tank. He has a beautiful set up and some awesome corals. Also, he gave me a great deal on the frags and the clam he sold me. Thanks Jaime, and my offer still stands if you need any help with anything let me know.

Thanks Again,
Brian

cdub
05-13-2008, 8:41 PM
I just picked up about 15 frags from jaimie and let me reiterate that he is selling things cheap! Whatever the trip costs you in gas and time will be well worth it. He is selling a ton of corals and frags.

1mbrews8
05-13-2008, 11:48 PM
met him today, real nice guy!

Skriz
05-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Jaime, hope everything works out. If you need anything, let me know. Hope the wife is doing okay through all this...nevermind the tank. :)

purpleGORILLA
05-14-2008, 9:00 AM
Yeah I hope your wife is doing ok too. Mine is also 38 wks and got the air conditioner at 73. She is constantly complaining its hot.

EnderG60
05-14-2008, 9:50 AM
shoot me a PM if ya need I have a 2500w generator as well if ya need it and are willing to come get it.

more then happy to rent it out for a frag or two:D

slayer
05-14-2008, 11:20 AM
hey guys heres an update...still no power - day # 4.. got 2 generators going and the tank is in full swing.. im not breaking down the tank in a hurry like i thought i would have to... touch wood, not a single fish or coral has died. I think we dont give enough credit as to how resilient these guys really are,, i know its tough getting down here, so the tanks gonna still be running for the next month and then im gonna shut it down.

my 300 gall is gonna also be up for sale.. 6 by 2 by 2 1/2 high,, starfire glass, with 2 inch overflow on each end..

im keeping my equipment for my smaller 210 gal im gonna set up in tenn,,

hopefully i'll get the power turned back on today,,,fingers crossed..

i'll post some pics and list of what i have soon..

johnr2604
05-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Glad to here its all good. If you want to see how resilient just watch the Figi at low tide video on youtube.

Sprayin70
05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Glad everything is going well.

RaisingTwo2006
05-14-2008, 2:31 PM
Jamie, Dennis and I are going to be in town tomorrow, you gonna be around? Still have anything left that would work in my tank (90g with PCs)?

John Family
05-14-2008, 2:53 PM
hey guys heres an update...still no power - day # 4.. got 2 generators going and the tank is in full swing.. im not breaking down the tank in a hurry like i thought i would have to... touch wood, not a single fish or coral has died. I think we dont give enough credit as to how resilient these guys really are,, i know its tough getting down here, so the tanks gonna still be running for the next month and then im gonna shut it down.

my 300 gall is gonna also be up for sale.. 6 by 2 by 2 1/2 high,, starfire glass, with 2 inch overflow on each end..

im keeping my equipment for my smaller 210 gal im gonna set up in tenn,,

hopefully i'll get the power turned back on today,,,fingers crossed..

i'll post some pics and list of what i have soon..

How much do you want for the tank?

LiveRock27
05-14-2008, 3:01 PM
Glad to hear that yall and the tank are doing fine. Hope you get power back soon.

1mbrews8
05-14-2008, 7:04 PM
jamie,
i'll be free from 12:00 - 12:30 tomorrow at the gym. i'll be able to meet anytime, but i won't have clients then and also from 2:30 - 4:00. please get me those items tomorrow! thanks man,
mike

slayer
05-16-2008, 2:24 PM
finally got power back!!! everything still alive and kicking.. water from the returns smells like sulpher and threw it out,, time for a water change and change of carbon just to make sure of no spikes... will be home all weekend if anyone wants to come on over....

DrNecropolis
05-16-2008, 2:51 PM
Sweet! Glad you finally got the juice back on, amazing everything is still doing well, nevermind, I forgot you have a genny running..

slayer
05-16-2008, 3:26 PM
only had power going to the powerheads in the tank, lights and airpump, the rest of the systen was shut down... no skimmer, no return pump from the sump or refugium, no chiller (at least the weather was cool), no ca reactor or kalk reactor... and ca plumated to 80ppm from 520.. untracable ammonia still, looking good.

i think the still water in the 60 foot section of 2 inch pipe i have running under the house to the garage, got stagnant and had dieoff.. still no noticible effect..

to top it off the sump is a 120 gall tank, and i had no powerheads, lights or air pump running in it and my yellow tangs, and damsels did great, with no deaths.. i think the macro algae provided the o2 and kept them alive.

Amici
05-16-2008, 3:28 PM
WOW that just shows how a larger system is much more resilient. I had no flow in my tank (90) for about 24 hours and lost everything except my clowns and chromis.

briandg
05-16-2008, 3:32 PM
That's great, everything looked great when I was there but it's been 3 more days. Amazing, but you have an amazing set up also, glad everything is working out.

Red Tailed Trigger
05-21-2008, 8:29 PM
Jaime, thanks for the hospitality shown to me by you and your wife. She looks wonderful for being 38 wks pregnant!

The corals look great in the tank and the prices are terrific! I appreciate your help. It was well worth braving the long ride back in the hail storm.

Look forward to the next pick up, I imagine you'll holding your future reefer by then. Hope she enjoys the lullaby bear.

For those that have not seen his tank, it is well worth seeing it before it is taken down.

jamescook
05-21-2008, 8:55 PM
yeah it's pretty amazing. Thanks a bunch for getting me into the sps. finally i know what the LE means:)

TAftonomos
05-22-2008, 10:11 PM
crap man, I just saw this Slayer. I'd have driven my genny down there for you to use if I'd have been paying attention to the board. I'm glad you got one and got everything running again.

This genny I bought was when I lived in FL and we were hammered by 3 hurricanes in one season.....def not something you use often, but a genny and a window AC are little luxuries that make life much more enjoyable in times like those.

SaltwaterEnvy
06-02-2008, 1:04 AM
Are u still selling the tank and is so for how much.:eek:

slayer
06-02-2008, 8:47 AM
$1000, havent posted yet but will... still a bunch of coral left for sale also

horsesziggy
06-02-2008, 12:02 PM
jamie,

If you need anything or help let me now.

sal

michaelf1478
06-02-2008, 10:03 PM
do you still have some equipment for sale?

shaned
06-07-2008, 5:30 PM
Anything left for sale here?

Thanks,
Shane

ZDaytonaRoadster
06-07-2008, 9:42 PM
Anything left for sale here?

Thanks,
Shane

Ditto, i'm in griffin, could be there in 1.5 hours

slayer
06-11-2008, 8:06 AM
hey guys.... i still have stuff i can frag,,, Gotta go, breaking down the tank next weekend.. $5 to $20 for decent size frags,,, no equipment for sale until i break down the tank.. will post whats remaining later..

horsesziggy
06-11-2008, 8:14 AM
hey jamie,i want some nice frags.

shaned
06-11-2008, 3:55 PM
Please let me know what frags are still left and when I can pick them up. Where are you located? I'd like to order several nice size frags if possible.

Thanks,
Shane Draper, ARC member
678-662-6336 cell

benjamintran1906
06-11-2008, 6:44 PM
pmed def. interested

Chibils
06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
I may be interested - I'm scared, however, by the fact that I have NO idea where Lizella is.

Acroholic
06-13-2008, 1:27 AM
I may be interested - I'm scared, however, by the fact that I have NO idea where Lizella is.

About 10 miles west of Macon. Do a Google search under Lizella Georgia, and a map will pop right up.
Dave