View Full Version : MR-1 Skimmer

Linda Lee
04-26-2008, 9:38 AM
On my way to pick up a used (hoping it's gently used) My Reef Creations MR-1 Skimmer (http://myreefcreations.com/psstandard.htm).

Anyone using one of these?

Pros?
Cons?
Love It?
Hate It?

If you own one, do you have it inside the sump or out and what kind of pump are you using?

This is for a 90g with a 44g sump/fuge.

If it fits, I will post a review. :)

If it doesn't fit, watch for a FS thread. :sad:

jmaneyapanda
04-26-2008, 9:59 AM
I swear by MRC equipment. The only "drawback" to the is you will need a big pump to power the becket injector. But, man, will it pull nasty out of the water.

chull13
04-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Linda,

I am running one. I bought it from mitchelliii about 2 weeks ago so I am fairly new to it. I love it so far. I am running mine in sump. The sump is a 20 gallon long split into 2 chambers (skimmer and return). I am using a mag 9.5 with it and it seems to be doing great. The silencer on my air intake was whitsling at first so I took it off and it didn't have the cotton ball inside. I fixed that and I can't even tell the skimmer is running. Let me know if you have any questions. We can learn about these together :)

Amici
04-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Linda, Ive used multiple MRC skimmers and they are very good. Only thing I will echo like Jeremy said is GET A BIG PUMP!! If you really want to use this thing to its potential then get a pressure rated pump and you will not believe what it pulls out. We set up two of the exact same skimmer on the same tank except one was running on a normal pump rated at 1200 gph and the other was an external pressure rated at 1100 gph and the 1100 gph pump pulled out twice as much and it was much darker. Hope this helps!

calireefer
04-26-2008, 11:37 AM
Having two large pumps is going to add some heat to your tank. Thats why I went with a needle wheel skimmer. It would help to run it externally and use an external pump. My Iwaki adds very little heat to my tank.

Amici
04-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I would agree with Merlin and suggest a pressure rated Iwaki. Very good advice on the heat of the pumps.

DannyBradley
04-26-2008, 6:12 PM
We recommend for insump applications a Mag 18 or similiar output pump to run the MR-1.

If you run it externally, use a Panworld 100 or an Iwaki 40.

I have one client running a MR-1 on a Mag 18 and it performs very well. It produces brown bubbles within a minute of being turned on. The beckett tends to kill GPH on low pressure pumps; the key to beckett skimming is water volume through the beckett. which is why such a large Mag Drive is recommended.

PGD123
04-30-2008, 8:21 PM
I am running a MR-1 with a mag 18 under my 75G display - works great! Pump did add some heat to the tank water though...