View Full Version : Random pop ups of older threads

reefknight
04-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Webmasters,
Can you identify why random older threads are popping up on the site lately? I know that some folks discussed this a week or so ago when the "BARF diet for dogs" suddenly appeared and now I have found one. Browsing the home page I noticed a few threads that were subscribed to so I started looking at them. Well I notice that one of them is months old since the last post and it was my post. This was the "Were do you live" thread that I'm reffering to by the way.

Thanks

purpleGORILLA
04-21-2008, 10:15 AM
If you post or vote in a poll. It will bring the threads back up.

Xyzpdq0121
04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Chris was working on a mod to the site that would auto close older threads after there is a two week period of inactivity. I think we ran into problems with it in thesting but I will ask him if there is any news on that..

mapleredta
04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
I noticed that with the blue or black background thread that victor made. If thats what youre talking about

Barbara
04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Brandon, I'm not sure I would like older threads closed. I still find them helpful. What about older threads discussing problems like Hair Algae control, skimmer opinions, sump designs, and many more? I think they should stay indefinitely unless we are having a space problem.

Derek_S
04-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Well, by closed they would be read only, not completely gone. People could still search for and read them, but no posting. This would also prevent the occasional "is this still for sale?" post from occuring on a 1 year old thread.

reefknight
04-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I agree with Barbara, as I wouldn't want them removed. Chris brings up a good point that if they can be locked, so no new posts could be made that would be great. I had not thought about Purple's idea as well, if someone had voted and not posted it would have been brought forward again, they just didn't post anything. I had seen where this had occured a few times and thought maybe someone was trying to track it, tought I would lend a hand ;)

Xyzpdq0121
04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
No, we would not REMOVE any threads or posts. Just close them to active posting or poll taking. There is a difference between closing a thread and deleting it.

Amici
04-21-2008, 2:53 PM
I am all for closing FS threads and polls threads after 2 weeks of in activity. I am so sick of those new dumb@$$es looking for cheap stuff who go through 15 Tank FS threads and post on everyone:

iM intERested IS thiS still AVailable?!?! (even though the thread is A YEAR OLD)

theplatypus
04-21-2008, 3:52 PM
I am so sick of those new dumb@$$es looking for cheap stuff who go through 15 Tank FS threads and post on everyone:

iM intERested IS thiS still AVailable?!?! (even though the thread is A YEAR OLD)

WOW! Way to make those new members feel welcome.

Amici
04-21-2008, 4:00 PM
Look back on the threads. People that you see doing that either buy something and dont come back or when they realize there isnt anything they are gone. I cant tell you how many people I have seen pop up once, make 10 posts all in FS section and then never post again. And im sorry but if they arent smart enough to read the date on the thread, I REALLY dont want them giving advice to other people.

theplatypus
04-21-2008, 4:08 PM
Look back on the threads. People that you see doing that either buy something and dont come back or when they realize there isnt anything they are gone. I cant tell you how many people I have seen pop up once, make 10 posts all in FS section and then never post again. And im sorry but if they arent smart enough to read the date on the thread, I REALLY dont want them giving advice to other people.

Of all the things to get your panties in a bunch over. I'm really surprised that anyone would lose sleep over this. Does it really hurt for them to ask?

Amici
04-21-2008, 4:15 PM
Haha, when they only come to the forum just to get cheap equipment and want to use us as a craigslist, yes I get annoyed because someone is not only abusing the club, but also they are thread crapping all over and its just more annoying things that I have to sift through. I cant tell you the number of times a non member who is first posting has dug up an old thread saying they want something and then 5 people after that are then also trying to buy stuff that doesnt exist. We are here to help and support people in our hobby but there is no reason to help and support people who are only there for personal gain. Altruism would be real nice........but it doesnt happen.

theplatypus
04-21-2008, 4:20 PM
Haha, when they only come to the forum just to get cheap equipment and want to use us as a craigslist, yes I get annoyed because someone is not only abusing the club, but also they are thread crapping all over and its just more annoying things that I have to sift through. I cant tell you the number of times a non member who is first posting has dug up an old thread saying they want something and then 5 people after that are then also trying to buy stuff that doesnt exist. We are here to help and support people in our hobby but there is no reason to help and support people who are only there for personal gain. Altruism would be real nice........but it doesnt happen.

:wow2:You need to go and hang out with some of those people in the 420 thread.

Amici
04-21-2008, 4:23 PM
Haha I am actually pretty laid back in person. There has been alot of times this has been discussed but like they said before, it didnt work with the first try.

LorenK
04-21-2008, 4:32 PM
As for things popping up, it's because of the polls...as someone mentioned.

As far as auto-closing the thread, the mod we installed is working okay on the rants and complaints section. Not sure why it's not working on the for sale thread as I think it was configured as such. I can take a look.