View Full Version : Check Acceptors Beware

Cameron
03-21-2008, 9:48 PM
Well for the first time in my life I am no longer going to accept checks from people. I have been having a great experience with my bank that seemingly miscalculated an amount on a check. Basically, I deposited several checks at once a couple that were large and they kicked me back a deposit slip that was for the correct amount at the drive through. Well that same day they removed just over 2k from my account. I called up and they said they would look into it. Anyway after about 3 weeks of calling and talking to people nobody seems able to tell me exactly why they miscounted the deposit slip and which check is out of balance.

I normally didn't worry about accepting checks because I trust people and I figure if something bounces I know where they live. Well there is another party you have to watch like a hawk... your bank.

Anyway, I caution against accepting checks at this point at least ones over a certain amount.

Grrrr..... I hate people and companies trying to fleece me and I think I am about a day away from getting my lawyer into this mess which of course will cost me and I am sure I will loose in the end anyway.

glxtrix
03-21-2008, 9:58 PM
Dang man sorry to hear that, hope things pan out.

KRB
03-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Switch to RBC Centura, I did after being through most of the large @-hole banks. Never been happier. A real person actually answers the phone when you call, its amazing. Exceptional service and a great product offering

Cameron
03-21-2008, 10:02 PM
I may put Brandon on it. He is cheaper and he will do just about anything for 25 cents.

ericmcj31
03-21-2008, 10:06 PM
yeah--I don't know about in the Alpharetta area-but if you have a choice of a local bank-I'd go with them-HANDS DOWN! I've been with a local bank since I was 15-and I don't regret any of it-I walk in-and they know me by name-not acct. # so and so; I'm TRULY happy witha smaller bank-I don't know, but I dare to venture it's a mega bank and I bet it is a really large bank like BOA-oops-did I say that?

dough
03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
25 cents! I beat you could get him down further.

Linda Lee
03-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Was it by any chance Bank of America? I'm about ready to give them the heave-ho and check out a credit union. Delta Credit Union has just opened a new location near me in West Cobb.

Or maybe I'll check out those Canadians. RBC has opened a new branch at the Avenue West Cobb.

Or Flagstar, new in West Cobb....

Heck, I think there's a new bank on just about every corner in West Cobb. Sheesh.

Linda Lee
03-21-2008, 10:19 PM
25 cents! I beat you could get him down further.

Brandon will give you an ARC discount, so what? 22.5 cents?

ericmcj31
03-21-2008, 10:22 PM
I listen to Clark Howard, and he really doesn't like BOA; They have MAJOR customer (no) service issues. If you listen to CH, you know what I mean-I'm a pretty religious listener.

Cameron
03-21-2008, 11:01 PM
BoA. This is my first poor experience with them though. I started with a small bank, they got bought Nations Bank and then became BoA. I have been with them for over 20 years. I like that free trading though.

ericmcj31
03-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm not an account holder at BOA and don't plan on it--but they've been bashed for their lack of service here lately. I guess unless you've got several millions in thebank, you're just a nuisance to them. I hate it when I call a place and get an answering service-it really ticks me off when I call a place and they transfer me to a different country or to someone who barely can speak English, and I don't understand, and they don't understand me :( very poor customer service IMO and to me shows they don't care for me or their customers.

KRB
03-21-2008, 11:46 PM
I have banked with most major banks and it isn't worth it. they are really out to screw you. i have been with the Delta CU for about 10 years now and have been very happy. I do all my business banking with RBC and it is the best customer service of any banking institution i have dealt with hands down

Xyzpdq0121
03-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Cam, We will talk about this tomorrow night. I have a few friends at the dept of banking and finance that owe me a favor or two. I'll even do it for free... see how cheap you get me! ;)

Atlanta Aquarium
03-22-2008, 1:18 AM
Banks are usually pretty good in fixing their error(s) if they made one. As long as you have your record to prove it, they will fix the problem.
Accepting checks is another issue. As long as you accept check, you will get a bad check here and there that can never be collected. The most that I ever got taken by a customer was $5535.47 or somthing near that number. I don't like it but I see it as part of doing business. Just have to roll with the punch sort of speak. I have a wholesale customer that have a clip board full of bounce checks.

Cameron
03-22-2008, 2:52 AM
I just find it a shame that it isn't the people who wrote me checks, but my own bank. I don't even have a problem with a mistake as those are going to happen, but they should be able to quickly tell me exactly how they got to that deposit number. Every time I call I get referred to some new dept and nobody seems to be able to figure out how they got to the number deducted from my account. No combination of checks add up to that amount, the checks are all round numbers and I know the amount written on the checks (about 6 of them) is correct. So how exactly did they add those numbers up to get 2k+ less? Just want an answer. Once I figure out how I got less on my deposit I can move forward. Anyway... no more checks until I can get a bank that will at least be able to print something out other than "Error In Addition" when this happens.

This all seems so crazy to me... I can't even really yell at anyone because that just doesn't help in these situations and it isn't Associate #11678 fault this happend as they are just a cog in the machine.

Linda Lee
03-22-2008, 6:55 AM
Customer Service at B.o.A. is definitely an oxymoron.

If you actually go into the bank to try to resolve an issue, you're given the 1-800 number for Customer Service. If you make the point that you really want to resolve your issue right there, in the bank, they offer you a desk and a phone to make that 1-800 call. There is no one you can talk to at the bank. Even the branch manager at the bank could not help me resolve my issue, and it was a simple one.

And I did this at the Marietta Square branch, where they know me because I make sizeable deposits almost daily for their largest local customer -- Cobb County government.

ericmcj31
03-22-2008, 7:15 AM
I would like to think that you could get this resolved at the branch--that'd be my next step--if that doesn't, I'm sure you could file a complaint with some type of banking association. Did you say they got you for 2K? I, too, had a check come back for the 5K range-I'm a small guy, so that really hurt-but the customer eventually made it good-but wasn't fun trying to get it.

LorenK
03-22-2008, 8:32 AM
Cameron,
Go into the branch on Windward next to Costco and talk to the manager. They've gone above and beyond for me a few times.

Call support service really sucks, I agree.

chauwall
03-22-2008, 9:23 AM
Wow. I've banked with BOA since Nationsbank too since 1994. I've heard stories esp from Clark Howard, but they've been dolls to me. One time 5 transactions got charged twice, bounced my account, they took care of it in 4 days. My husband's checks for bills got stolen out of our mailbox, the robbers took over $2000 from the checking account. He called them 4 weeks later when the credit card bill charged him a late fee for not paying-that's when he found out that the money didn't go to the correct place. BOA put the money back in his account in less than 3 days. They've been great for me.

I would definitely go into the branch you made the deposit. Could be the checks weren't valid. BOA puts the money into your account right away, then when they figure out that there are not enough funds to support the check, they'll pull it from your account plus charge you a fee-which is ridiculous. Needless to say, don't take checks from anyone you don't know.

blind1993
03-22-2008, 2:18 PM
Cameron,
Go into the branch on Windward next to Costco and talk to the manager. They've gone above and beyond for me a few times.

Call support service really sucks, I agree.

thats my mom.

Jgoal55
03-22-2008, 2:39 PM
the scary part Cam is that that happened to me with about $2k in cash...I deposited in my bank...got a correct slip....checked my acct two days later and voila...my deposit was for $.94 (yes that is cents!!).

To their credit though...Suntrust took care of it right away! Although they never did figure out why it happened.

ericmcj31
03-22-2008, 2:40 PM
I'd get this straightened out and move my acct. to another bank (if I were you)

Atlanta Aquarium
03-22-2008, 3:17 PM
I never have any bad experiences with any of the banks that I dealt with. I used to bank with AmSouth which is Region bank now when I was living in Tennessee. Everyone that I dealt with are great people at Amsouth. When I moved to GA, I opened account with Suntrust and BofA. They are great people also. BofA seem to have better customer service than Suntrust. There are always seem to want to help.
One time a had customer wrote a $23,000.00 check to me to have it bounce in the Suntrust account. Some of my other checks that I wrote started to bounced all over the place. They called me and adviced the problem. I went to the main branch and talked with them. They offered to waved the $650.00 free to covered the bounced checks since I never have problem with them. They asked me to open a business saving for amount of $500.00 as an overdraft protection. I though it was more than fair. There is so much that a bank can do for you but my overall experiences with them are pretty good.
Now credit card is another issue. I got some negative things to say about it.

ericmcj31
03-22-2008, 9:43 PM
I actually had a great experience with my only CC-chase--had some fraudulent activity and they called me and said the charges didn't "look right" thought that was pretty good customer service

Atlanta Aquarium
03-22-2008, 10:00 PM
The problem with CC isn't their customer service. The problem lies in their policies. I've heard to watch out for their Universal Clause policy. It's a big headache for many many consumers.

Skriz
03-22-2008, 10:07 PM
what's the universal clause?

I've found Amex to be the best. As a vendor, they provide excellent dispute resolution, although their fees are astronomical! As a consumer, they provide excellent dispute resolution :D

Atlanta Aquarium
03-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Universal Default clause state that if you are late with one of your credit card then all of your card will be affected. Which mean you are scr_wed if you have lots of cards.

ericmcj31
03-22-2008, 10:23 PM
that's why you pay your balance in full each month! That way it doesn't matter if they're charging you 50% a month interest--but I agree-that is a loophole

Jonathan
03-22-2008, 10:26 PM
The fine print with pretty much all credit card companies states that they can jack up your interest at any time for no reason at all.

Atlanta Aquarium
03-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah it's a loophole for the credit card company. Many people signing the card aren't aware of the Universal Default clause.

ericmcj31
03-22-2008, 10:27 PM
yep--stick it to the little man!

Skriz
03-22-2008, 10:38 PM
hmm, I never knew about the universal clause. BUT, it would entail the cc company to pull your credit report and the other to report it. Not good odds of it actually happening.

If Amex were to do any bs with me, I'd have a fit. I pay them every year to have that stupid card; they'd better take care of me!

Atlanta Aquarium
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, the Universal Default clause basically allows the credit card companies to look at your credit history periodically. Alot of consumers got scr_wed because of this when it's too late.

Jonathan
03-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Most of them pull an inquiry annually per company policy.

ericmcj31
03-22-2008, 11:02 PM
yeah-I've heard of CC companies going from like an 8% to 22+% from one month to the next because you're late on a DIFFERENT card-either one issued by that CC company, or even another CC company-I'm not even sure they have to give you warning by mail or anything.