View Full Version : New 90gal. reef "adventure"

reefknight
03-13-2008, 1:06 PM
I finally decided to start a "build thread" on my new 90 gal reef display. It is a project that actually started almost a year ago and ofr one reason or another was delayed. I am finally overjoyed at seeing it come to fruition after months of staging and planning. I hope that all of you will enjoy the adventure of this as much as I.

The display tank it self is a used All-Glass RR purchased from an ex-member of the club. The stand and canopy are new and were manufactured by Perfecto (this combination would cause problems later). Equipment includes the following; ADHI "berlin" sump 30L" x 14"W x 18"H, Euro Reef RS 135 skimmer (older model than listed), Ehiem 1262 return pump, JBJ Artica 1/4HP chiller, Visi-Therm 300W heater, Reef Fanatic ATO w/ Aqualifter pump, Geo 612 Calcium reactor (yet to be installed), Vortech wwd pump with back up battery, (2) Tunze Nanostream 6055's, Aquamedic Oceanlight fixture w/ (2) 250W DE MH (Giesemann 14.5k Coral lamps) and (2) T-5's 54W (Giesemann Pure Actinic+ lamps), ACIII w/ Lunar Sim (2) module, AquaSurf, PH probe x 2.

I had to modify the stand to first install the sump as it was too large to fit through the doors or the rear of the stand. While modifying the center support I decided to add two boards for installing power bars and equipment. Then decided to add a shelf on one of these to hold the transformers for the various pumps. The top of the stand had to be drilled to accomodate All-Glass's overflow as it is positioned towards the center while Perfecto remains in the corner. I then had to modify the canopy to hold the fixture as i couldn't get enough room to really install it. The fixture ended up being a little longer due to the cords that terminate from the end.

The plumbing design was due to Jorge (Star Aquatics). He knew that I was frustrated on how to bring my chiller in-line with my return pump as well as incorporating a water change valve. It finally came together after a call to Savko for 3/4" flexile PVC pipe.

The live rock was also purchased from Star Aquatics and is a mix of Fiji, Kaelini and Pukani. I feel that this variety gives the reef a foundation for an excellent begining. Most of the tanks inhabitants were transferred from my two year old 30 gal cube tank. A few new additions have been made as well as a new janitorial crew provided by Keen's Reef. There are well over two hundred crabs, snails and other inverts currently in the tank. This was not planned but necessary due to the crash of another tank. Over time some of these will be transferred to other systems. I hope to have photographs added shortly. (I have actually typed this out once before, although more elaboratly, only to have it erased due to a dead battery in my laptop :( )

reefknight
03-13-2008, 1:10 PM
Photo's of build & set-up

reefknight
03-13-2008, 1:13 PM
Addition of livestock

*Some of these aren't great, as camera had operator failure!*

reefknight
03-13-2008, 1:26 PM
continued....

the last two are additions from Einstein Aquatics, thank you Chris.

Stroid
03-13-2008, 1:33 PM
looks great! Do you have anymore pics of your plumbing? I am in the process of setting up my 110 and am considering using flexible pvc like you did and would love to see how your connections are made.

reefknight
03-13-2008, 1:34 PM
Final aquascape and inhabitants new and old...

reefknight
03-13-2008, 1:37 PM
looks great! Do you have anymore pics of your plumbing? I am in the process of setting up my 110 and am considering using flexible pvc like you did and would love to see how your connections are made.

Thanks Stroid! Yes I do have a few...

LiveRock27
03-13-2008, 1:51 PM
Looking great. Where did you pick up the flexible PVC? I am going to be plumbing my new system here in the next week or so and would love to use it.

Stroid
03-13-2008, 1:57 PM
yes is flexible pvc easily bought at HD or Lowes? Thanks for posting your pics still need a sump pic :)

reefknight
03-13-2008, 2:06 PM
Drew - Stroid is correct, as flexible pvc can be bought at Lowes or HD as long as you want 1" - 1 1/2". I used 3/4" on my return and had to order it from www.savko.com (http://www.savko.com) . They also carry it in "sexy" black/ gray.

Stroid, I'll see what I can do about getting a few different shots of the sump, anything in particular you're looking for?

Stroid
03-13-2008, 2:09 PM
no just trying to understand how internal overflows work. I have been running a system that has a HOB overflow so I had one drain and one return. Now I am moving to a dual overflow reef ready tank and not really sure how to plumb it all together. Really im trying to track how the water flows into the sump and back up to the main system on a reef ready tank. I know in theory it is the same as my current setup but seeing multiple types of setups really helps.

Gwhiz
03-13-2008, 2:09 PM
Looks good. I like the liberal use of true union valves! I do have a question.

Is that check valve on the return line? They're notorious for freezing in the wrong position--why the need for one here?

Also, if that IS the return line, that 90 degree bend is going to kill your flow. It looks like your trying to make water changes easier by using the return pump to empty the sump? Or am I seeing that wrong?

reefknight
03-13-2008, 2:19 PM
no just trying to understand how internal overflows work. I have been running a system that has a HOB overflow so I had one drain and one return. Now I am moving to a dual overflow reef ready tank and not really sure how to plumb it all together. Really im trying to track how the water flows into the sump and back up to the main system on a reef ready tank. I know in theory it is the same as my current setup but seeing multiple types of setups really helps.

Ok, gotcha. I have to remove my canopy over the weekend to replace my T-5 ballast when I do, I'll snap a top down photo of the overflow box. I can't get one straight on as its up against the wall and I never thought to take one before. I made a simple "durso" style one using Richard Durso's website or its also published in Reef Aquarium Vol. 3 by Delbeek & Sprung. I'll see what I can do about a few more photos though.

LiveRock27
03-13-2008, 2:26 PM
Thanks for the info and the link.

reefknight
03-13-2008, 2:27 PM
Looks good. I like the liberal use of true union valves! I do have a question.

Is that check valve on the return line? They're notorious for freezing in the wrong position--why the need for one here?

Also, if that IS the return line, that 90 degree bend is going to kill your flow. It looks like your trying to make water changes easier by using the return pump to empty the sump? Or am I seeing that wrong?

I love true unions they make life alot easier. I wish that I would have used them last time so I made sure to incorporate them this time. To answer your questions, yes it is a check valve. I put one inline for piece of mind, as I like their function. Yeah, they do tend to have trouble, thats why this time I bought one that I can clean, as it is a double union as well. I have the 90 elbow being in there but I did'nt estimate the height of the stand and sump to well. I played with the plumbing on the return for about two days and multiple trips to Lowe's. It sucks but it works! As far as flow, trust me with the Vortech/ Tunze combo, I think there is plenty. Actually I can use the pump to empty the sump or for a water change I shut off the flow of the tank drain, turn the pump off and open that valve facing the right and it will drain the tank from the tank return. Since the tank return is modular pipe, i can bend it straight down and empty about 10" out of the tank, more than I would typically do for a weekly water change.

Stroid
03-13-2008, 2:33 PM
Awesome Bill thanks!

mapleredta
03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
looks great bill.

reefknight
06-03-2008, 8:35 AM
Well after being reminded that I hadn't updated any photos in awhile, I decided to break out the camera. So here are a few shots with a few new goodies as well.

I really need a new tripod, as hand holding actinic shots has never been my forte.:blush:

Enjoy!

reefknight
06-04-2008, 9:10 AM
Well I snapped a few with the halides on, enjoy!

FutureInterest
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice!

reefknight
06-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks Jin.
I should have another update in a couple of days with a whole lot of new goodies. The tank has several new additions after today, including a few SPS frags, an Acro colony, a Rhizo polyp and a couple of nice zoo's. Next week the tank gets all new lighting, two Luman Max 3 pendants and a (4) 54w T-5 system "overdriven". It will also get a new skimmer, I'm in hopes that it really kicks some @$$!

tebriel
06-06-2008, 2:33 PM
Can you detail for me how you plumbed your chiller into your return? did you split your return off with a T and then ball valve the chiller's line so that you can reduce the flow to it? That's the only way I can imagine this, and it would take 1 pump out of my tank. Thanks!

reefknight
06-06-2008, 7:06 PM
Yeah, I "T'ed" off the out put of the sump (there is also a check valve) and ran it horizontially to the chiller and then from the chiller back to the tanks' return. There are double union ball valves everywhere on this tank. I like being able to shut off the flow of water to any given section at anytime, it also allows me to remove any piece of equipment at anytime as well. The ball valve is not used to slow the water flow through the chiller though. I wanted to run only one pump and this allowed me to keep simple.

:D

reefknight
06-06-2008, 7:10 PM
I forgot to mention the second ball valve and output coming off the "T'ed" check valve allows me to do a simple water change. All I have to do is close the ball valve on the drain and place a section of tubing to the output and open the ball valve on top off the check valve. The water actually back siphons from the display tank through the chiller and into a bucket. This also allows me to back flush my chiller on a weekly basis to prolong its life.

reefknight
07-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Well I hadn't updated this in a while. So here are a couple of new FTS shots. I'll try to post some new shots of some colonies later, enjoy in the meantime.

Mockery
07-30-2008, 12:05 AM
wow man that is really good looking

Barbara
07-30-2008, 8:27 AM
Nice colors!

JAustin
08-07-2008, 7:21 AM
What a nice tank! Is that monti cap in a low light area? It looks like it in the pic. Mine took a hit when i switched from cheap halides to Iwasaki. It's lower in the tank now but it looks like yours likes lower light.

reefknight
08-07-2008, 9:12 AM
JAustin,
I have two M. caps, one is green and is on the back wall center and right in front of it just a little lower is a hugh red-orange one. Which photo and what colors and I can tell you what it is.

JAustin
08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Sorry, the red cap. I have one too. Is it in a low light area? It lools like it from the pic but i was just checking in case it isn't.

reefknight
08-07-2008, 1:31 PM
Hey no prob! Until I looked back at those photos I never noticed that there is a rather dark spot there. Its the center brace on the tank casting a shadow, dang it. Next tank there will be no center brace as I'm thinking of going rimless!