View Full Version : What are your thought about Tunze Turbelle, OceansMotion and Wave2K?

Atlanta Aquarium
10-09-2006, 7:04 AM
Which one is better? Which model of each group works the best?

jmaneyapanda
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
i run 2 tunze 6100s with a 7095 controller, and love the **** things. If there were only a little less conspicuous, cheaper, and easier to find. I looked into a wave2k, but I didnt want to have to break down the entire rock structure to fit it in, and it appears they're pretty bulky outside the tank.

Simon.Kruger
10-09-2006, 11:41 AM
I have the new and old controllable electronic Tunze's. Both have benefits.

The new streams are excellent, they also have an audiable alarm when the pump seize with calcium build up. They can be mounted via magnets and thus can be directed everywhere in your tank.

The old Tunzes are bracket mounted but are more directable. Less service is required and you can add prefilters if required.

I would recommed Tunze over any other pump.

I hope this helps.

Schwaggs
10-09-2006, 9:51 PM
I have 2 of the middle of the road variable speed streams in my 210 and I love them. Every inch of water moves in the tank. Some spots fairly quickly, others just a gentle current. I've had them almost a year and only had a problem with them once, when a snail got wedged in one and the alarm sounded to warn of the jam instead. That is a nice feature, they shut down instead of burning up! They are the most power efficient water current in the business. They pay for themselves in saved electricity over a CLS. If you are serious about the WAVE2K, take a look at the Tunze Wave box too...

Atlanta Aquarium
10-10-2006, 6:55 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Sound likes Tunze is the way to go.

George
10-10-2006, 8:45 AM
Have the new mini-Tunze's come out yet? I've always wanted to give a Tunze a try, but the flow of even the smallest regular one is way, way, way too much for smaller tanks.

Kevin
10-11-2006, 7:39 PM
I have a tunze and love it. I have seen the wave2k in action and it is pretty nice...they are local too (norcross).

Simon.Kruger
10-12-2006, 6:24 AM
Hi George,

What is way, way to much?

I have 10,000 Gallons per hr flowing in my 92G corner tank and its absolutely not to much. In fact I'd say that alot of flow is very benificial.

Atlanta Aquarium
10-12-2006, 7:41 AM
Simmon, I totally agree with you. It's hard to have too much water flow (and light) in a tank. My water turn about 30 times per hour in my tank and it's still not enough. You can really know how much these coral appreciate strong water flow once you visit some of the natural reefs. Some of these places, the current is so strong, it'll sweep you away if you are not careful. I just got back from Bahamas, the current there is strong there too.

George
10-12-2006, 9:00 AM
My current setup is a 25g with a fair amount of LR and sand bottom. Here's some old pics, but add more frags, growth on the LR, and you've got my current setup: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75188 There's a powerhead (Maxi 900) at each front corner with one of those rotator flow director things to stir nicely. I'm trying to avoid a single constant direction of flow.

The smallest Turbelle is 1600gph which will turn over my tank 64 times an hour and only provide one direction of flow. I was hoping to find a pair that provided a more manageable flow level such as a pair of Seio's or the new mini Tunzes.

Maveri9720
10-12-2006, 9:22 AM
My current setup is a 25g with a fair amount of LR and sand bottom. Here's some old pics, but add more frags, growth on the LR, and you've got my current setup: http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75188 There's a powerhead (Maxi 900) at each front corner with one of those rotator flow director things to stir nicely. I'm trying to avoid a single constant direction of flow.

The smallest Turbelle is 1600gph which will turn over my tank 64 times an hour and only provide one direction of flow. I was hoping to find a pair that provided a more manageable flow level such as a pair of Seio's or the new mini Tunzes.

That's incorrect with the smallest Turbelle turnover rate.

For the fixed ones, that is correct, but if you look at the adjustable ones, the 6000 goes from 660 - 1850 g/h.

Granted one costs $250 or so, but I just saw MRC has free shipping on Tunze orders over $150 and they are an ARC sponsor. I have one in my 120g and I love it. The ability to be able to adjust the flow is invaluable. That way you can fine tune things to exactly what you need it to be. And if you decide to change the aquascaping, you can re-position the pump and adjust the flow again, as necessary.

Also, the pumps are super quiet and very efficient, which translates to lower electricity costs and minimal heat output. I have had to check the water surface a couple times, b/c I couldn't hear if the pump was on or not; always a good thing.

Not to mention all the cool stuff you can do with a multi controller and also a single controller and the photo cell.

Just my .02 though.

George
10-12-2006, 10:20 AM
For the fixed ones, that is correct, but if you look at the adjustable ones, the 6000 goes from 660 - 1850 g/h.
Granted, I did not consider the adjustable ones. However, it still leaves me with a 1320gph and roughly 53x turnover rate in a 25g aquarium for 2 pumps. I like the turbidity caused by the two intersecting flows such as I have right now.

At any rate, dropping $240 on a pump I'm going to strangle to its minimum (and still think it's a bit rough waters) isn't in the cards for me. I'd be more interested in the nano's (even if the upper level nano is almost as expensive as the 6000) because they throttle within my range and the range of my future planed tanks.

goodfortune
10-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Would you consider a Maxi-Stream? They are pretty easy to build, and they give lot of flow over a wide area. From what I understand, the smallest one you can make are good for tanks as small as 29g.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.mjmods.com/index.php?main_page=page_2

However....if you can spend the money on Tunze Streams, get them. Their reliability, low power consumption vs flow ratio, capability to vary flow (on some models), and of course re-sale value make them worth it. The Maxi-Streams are just an inexpensive way of producing lots of flow cheaply and easily, FWIW.

- Michael

Have the new mini-Tunze's come out yet? I've always wanted to give a Tunze a try, but the flow of even the smallest regular one is way, way, way too much for smaller tanks.

George
10-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Would you consider a Maxi-Stream? They are pretty easy to build, and they give lot of flow over a wide area. From what I understand, the smallest one you can make are good for tanks as small as 29g.
I thought about doing that kind of mod, but decided that since I also need a couple more powerheads for other applications like salt mixing 2 buckets at once. I figured I'd replace the Maxi's with something with a broader flow.

I really would love to get Tunzes, I'd just like to get the nano's because they're in my usable range of flow instead of being way, way over powered. It's not the $240 by itself that's the problem. It's the $240 for something that has a usable range 90% of which is out of control for my application.

mojo
10-18-2006, 3:09 PM
The original poster asked about Tunze vs. OceanMotions. They're both great - I use both Tunze 6100 & 6200, plus a OM 4-way HD myself, and highly endorse both. They're good for separate things, though. The Tunze's are good for more directional and controll able flow. The OM units are good for using a single pump and directing the flow.

It's all about how you want to manage your flow. Both are good options and should be considered.

Atlanta Aquarium
10-18-2006, 4:08 PM
Thanks Chris, I did some more reading on both products. They both sound like they are good products. Definitely much better than a simple power head. I called and talked to Simon. He gave me some good info on the Tunze. He's really high on the Tunze and understandably so. I think I'm going to go with the Tunze TS24 model. I need to check into it a little more before purchasing it. I like the idea of being able to controll the flow rate along and control timing. I think it will give me the surge and turbulent flow that my corals are wanting. I'll incorporate it with to 2 giant powerhead and a few smaller one that I have in the tank.

mojo
10-19-2006, 1:53 PM
Keep in mind that you can get a 10% discount through MyReefCreations as an ARC member - the only place in the country to get a discount on Tunze stuff. And given their price, it's worth it...

Andy will check your membership, though. Just FYI.

jmaneyapanda
10-19-2006, 2:33 PM
andy doesnt give discount on tunze.

mojo
10-19-2006, 2:38 PM
Why do you say that? I've bought Tunze's from Andy plenty of times, all with the discount. To my knowledge, nothing has changed with MRC's sponsorship status in the two weeks I've been gone..

Maveri9720
10-19-2006, 2:42 PM
I bought mine about 3-4 weeks ago and I got the discount.

Kevin
10-19-2006, 2:47 PM
I got mine last year and got the discount

jmaneyapanda
10-19-2006, 2:48 PM
well then i am very pissed, because I within the past 6 months have bought many tunze items from andy, and he told me there was such a demand, he does not offer the discount. I will have to call him. I WAS very pleased with his business, but I do not like being lied to.

Simon.Kruger
10-19-2006, 3:35 PM
Not speaking for Andy. But I beleive you get a 10% discount if your a ARC member.

I do know he has posted that there will be no discount on the Nano Streams.

jmaneyapanda
10-19-2006, 4:14 PM
I know that sponsors have every right to offer or not offer the discount on items. So when Andy told me it wasnt available, I was fine with it. But if eveyone else gets it, I think I should've, too. I have been very impressed with Andys equipment and service, which is why this is so surprising to me.

Talk about an ego deflator. Im feeling small now.

Broreefr
10-19-2006, 5:11 PM
I TOO have bought tunze from MRC and recieved the discount

Tunze's take some of the error out of newbe-ness - good flow low heat exchange - we new guys have a lot of other mistakes to correct :lol:

Maveri9720
10-19-2006, 5:25 PM
I wouldn't feel to bad. I got screwed out of my discount at Marine Fish a couple weeks ago.

I went to buy about 120lbs of sand and before I bought it, I asked how much for the 40lb bag and was told $40. So I bought 2 of them, one 20 lb and one 20lb of Live sand.

I specifically told them I was in the ARC and asked if they did the discount and they said yes.

Then while he was ringing me up, I asked again just to be sure and he said, "yep, I got it".

Well, when I got driving down the road, I checked the receipt and the 2 40lb bags went for 39.99 and the others weren't discounted either.

I was pretty mad about it, b/c I asked multiple times, but I just let it go and will make sure on future purchases, which was Tuesday and I got the discount then.

I say let it go and be more diligent in the future. Just another of life's lessons.

jmaneyapanda
10-28-2006, 2:52 PM
just to update- I did talk to Andy, and he was very apologetic- apparently a miscommunication. He has made things right. Even if we didnt get a discount, I would still buy from him. Top rate product, and I prefer supporting local businesses.