View Full Version : How long to display FS posts

LorenK
02-19-2008, 9:31 AM
The forum has the ability to hide posts that have been inactive for a configured out of time.

Do you all want that on the For Sale threads to prevent necro-posting?

Options allow for a wide range, from a day to a year and many intervals in between.

The issue is that they cannot not be displayed or searched.

Using this feature, it is not possible to lock them instead of hide them. The benefit is that it is an available feature.

tnyga
02-19-2008, 9:35 AM
My opinion 30 days or until poster says Sold...After 30 if not sold, repost...Does that create a dilemma having it reposted. Seems most sells before 30 days..I think

Linda Lee
02-19-2008, 9:38 AM
I would close the thread after 30 days with a note:

"This posting has expired." Please PM author of post to check availability of any mentioned items."

That leaves the post visible but doesn't allow someone to inquire within the thread itself, which makes it pop up again under the *New Posts* and clutter the forum.

I don't know if it could be automated though. To do it manually would probably be too much of a burden on webmasters and/or moderators.

LorenK
02-19-2008, 10:09 AM
The tool does not allow for anything fancy. It just prevents the forum from displaying anything that has been innactive for x days.

So no messages, no locking, etc. It just 'vanishes'.

In reality the post is still in the system, it just does not display.

We could put a note at the top of the page, like the Rants and Complaints forum.

Stroid
02-19-2008, 10:11 AM
whats the point of not displaying it? After 30days odds are that thread has dropped of the first page of posts probably even the 2nd or 3rd. I say leave it as is.

Stroid
02-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Plus sometimes I forgot who I was trying to buy something from or I want to remember what I had bought and from who...so I search old FS threads.

mojo
02-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Are you talking about a different mod than the one I installed? The one I put on the other day just closes the thread...

The tool does not allow for anything fancy. It just prevents the forum from displaying anything that has been innactive for x days.

So no messages, no locking, etc. It just 'vanishes'.

In reality the post is still in the system, it just does not display.

We could put a note at the top of the page, like the Rants and Complaints forum.

Cameron
02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Personally, I think the threads should be archived and non-searchable. However, I will go with whatever is easiest. It can get a bit silly when people activate months old posts asking for stuff. The F/S should run like classifieds. If you need more than 30 days to sell something, you just have to repost it. Keeps the forum clean and threads on topic.

Skriz
02-19-2008, 10:22 AM
30 days is plenty. I hate seeing an old fs thread revived; it gets my hopes up :(

Xyzpdq0121
02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Loren, I thought that Chris put a mod in that would only close the post after two weeks but not remove it...

Tonester_man
02-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I think it's a great idea..... but I would say 2 weeks.....

Stroid
02-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I dont mind the thread being closed but dont make it disappear.

LorenK
02-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh, I thought you said it didn't work.

I guess we can lock then.

Are you talking about a different mod than the one I installed? The one I put on the other day just closes the thread...

Skriz
02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
locking is better. That way we can still go back and see who was selling something, etc.

good Job Loren and Chris

flyingarmy
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
I think that the FS threads should be hidden from Mufret.....then sometimes I would have a chance!

Skriz
02-19-2008, 11:09 AM
I think that the FS threads should be hidden from Mufret.....then sometimes I would have a chance!

I second that notion. Do I hear a third? :)

Stroid
02-19-2008, 11:11 AM
Third!

tnyga
02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
4th

LorenK
02-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I'll set this one to lock at 30 days then.

I'll also hide it from Mufret ;-)

mufret
02-19-2008, 11:59 AM
:aww:

Cameron
02-22-2008, 3:40 AM
locking is better. That way we can still go back and see who was selling something, etc.Why would anyone care what sold 3, 4, 5, 6 months ago? Not a big deal, but I don't really understand why anyone really wants the threads hanging around. Kinda like opening up the paper and seeing a F/S section with items already sold.

Linda Lee
02-22-2008, 9:32 AM
Why would anyone care what sold 3, 4, 5, 6 months ago? Not a big deal, but I don't really understand why anyone really wants the threads hanging around. Kinda like opening up the paper and seeing a F/S section with items already sold.

If someone is reselling an item that I know they bought on these boards, I like to look back to the original sale, either for pictures or price.

I think the threads should remain but be locked after 30 days. Thus they can still be viewed for reference and you can PM the originally seller with any questions, etc. and no response post could be made to the thread to bump it back into (and clutter) the *New Posts* area. Seems like this would be the best of both worlds.

Cameron
02-22-2008, 9:35 AM
Good enough reason for me.

LorenK
02-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm trying to work out a bug in the locking mod...it will happen some day.