View Full Version : Rock Supports?

Maveri9720
09-20-2006, 4:00 PM
Hi guys. I am in the waiting stage of trying to set-up my 120 reef. All I need now is my sump, (which is being built), plumbing hardware, (which will be ordered once I receive my sump so I can determine exactly what I need) and misc supplies to be picked up at the LFS.

So I have been trying to research initial set up tips and info. I came across rock supports and was fairly intrigued by this.

What is everyone's opinion on making a support to keep your rock off of the substrate?

I like the idea and like even more combining the rock support with a CLS to get great flow under the rocks. So that way, it would function as a rock support and as a CLS / Spray bar.

Has anyone done this here?

Pros and Cons would be appreciated, along with any other info.

Thanks.

mojo
09-20-2006, 4:19 PM
My opinion is that unless you use a lot of PVC or it's heavy-duty 1.5"+, it's just too difficult to work with in our tanks. I've seen the use of fibergrate and other forms of supports used well for large tanks - 100's of gallons, but IMO, it's just too hard to do in a hobby-sized tank.

tsciarini
09-20-2006, 5:25 PM
Another option is to drill holes in 4" PVC and slice it...

tsciarini
09-20-2006, 5:29 PM
In my tank I used small pieces of starboard and filled in the sand bed around it... thus creating BB under the rock and SSB thru the rest of the tank.... the problem comes in where the sand gets blown around and exposes the starboard (which could be controlled by adjusting my powerheads but that would be too much work. lol)

Maveri9720
09-20-2006, 5:43 PM
Can both of you take a look at this and tell me what you think of it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Invisible-Live-Rock-Lift_W0QQitemZ160027278416QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11743 7QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This person builds these for people and is a member of another fish forum.

Just wondering what your collective thoughts were and if you thought that it would be something effective and worth it to buy.

It is alot more inconspicuous than having the PVC in there. I saw the drilled PVC mentioned before and it looked kinda cheesy/ghetto to me. This looks alot more refined and seems to blend in quite well.

Thoughts?

P.S. What's up?

tsciarini
09-20-2006, 6:13 PM
it doesnt look bad as long as you dont mind your entire rock base hovering above the sand like a spaceship....

tsciarini
09-20-2006, 6:19 PM
All your base rock are belong to us!

HAHAHHAHAA

Maveri9720
09-20-2006, 6:19 PM
Is it any different than putting pieces of drilled PVC under it?

Maveri9720
09-20-2006, 6:21 PM
All your base rock are belong to us!

HAHAHHAHAA

I don't get it.....:confused:

tsciarini
09-20-2006, 6:21 PM
the idea is to hide it within the sand (UN-Like the second person did in my two examples)

tsciarini
09-20-2006, 6:22 PM
I don't get it.....:confused:

That's because youre not l33t like I am.... :roll:

Maveri9720
09-20-2006, 6:26 PM
That's because youre not l33t like I am.... :roll:

I still don't get it. But you are still weird.:lol:

mojo
09-20-2006, 6:34 PM
He's referring to nerd humor. I, of course, am not a nerd, but have seen this type of behavior before, so I'll provide some background:

All your base are belong to us (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base)

133t-speak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L33t)

:shades:

Maveri9720
09-20-2006, 7:03 PM
Thanks for deciphering Chris.

Tony, you are seriously weird.

Strange how you knew exactly what he was talking about Chris.............hmmmmmmm?????

Nice try.

kappaknight
09-20-2006, 8:38 PM
I don't know about the invisible thing... it's very possible the coralline algae can grow on it. The way I have it setup is to put the rocks on the sand but only have select contact points. I definitely don't have a lot of the rocks on the sand, but some minimal contact is needed to support the rest of the shelves.

Maveri9720
09-20-2006, 9:04 PM
I don't know about the invisible thing... it's very possible the coralline algae can grow on it. The way I have it setup is to put the rocks on the sand but only have select contact points. I definitely don't have a lot of the rocks on the sand, but some minimal contact is needed to support the rest of the shelves.

Hey, I PM'd you at TRT and sent you an email.

Let me know.

gwen_o_lyn
09-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Tony, you are seriously weird.

And just think, Tony could be our next ARC president!! :yay:

kappaknight
09-20-2006, 10:16 PM
I already responded... Let me know if you didn't get it.

Hey, I PM'd you at TRT and sent you an email.

Let me know.

George
09-21-2006, 8:01 AM
So, could someone elaborate the benefit of levetating your reef off the sand bed? Is this a dead-spot issue?

MattTVI
09-21-2006, 3:59 PM
And just think, Tony could be our next ARC president!! :yay:

tony's 1337?! he's got my vote, FTW!

kwl1763
10-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Ya it's a dead spot issue. If you've ever taken a tank apart where the rock meets the sand is pretty funky and nasty. Detritus gets trapped there and breaks down etc. It also impedes flow across the sandbed for O2 exchange.

I used PVC support in mine.

Here's a link to that post. Several others I know have done it but I agree unless it's a big tank there is not a reason to make a huge effort out of it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=694606&perpage=25&pagenumber=15&post=8026487

gwen_o_lyn
10-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the ARC site kwl1763

wildemon
10-02-2006, 1:43 PM
I used standard light diffuser grill for a rack with 1/2 " PVC pipe fittings. Although I found black grill, I knew nothing about dye. The coralline algae will in time make all of that colour issue a moot point. What is not obvious is my entire substrate sits below the same diffuser grill about 1" off the bottom. Years ago the hobby used reverse flow undergravel filters and my setup mimics that. The rocks are all supported, the photo just shows the raised platform that allowed me to use less rock to create the terrain.

kappaknight
10-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Hey Mitch,

Have you been taking pictures of the build as it progresses?

Maveri9720
10-03-2006, 2:03 PM
Hey Mitch,

Have you been taking pictures of the build as it progresses?

Thanks for reminding me. I have been so busy trying to get the darn thing up and running, I forgot to take the time to snap off some pics.

I will try to take some empty tank pics tomm before I drop the sand and water in there.

tsciarini
10-03-2006, 4:12 PM
wait.... HE's setting it up??? Dont forget the mastermind behind this project :yay:

Maveri9720
10-03-2006, 5:46 PM
wait.... HE's setting it up??? Dont forget the mastermind behind this project :yay:

Mastermind is a bit excessive. I would say more along the lines of lackey, but you say tomato......

Yes, you were integral. And I have spent the rest of the time since then tuning and re-routing lines and sealing up leaks.

Just emptied it today and hooked up my RO/DI unit.

Tomm will be sand and some SW.

Thanks again for the help.