View Full Version : Very Cool Nano Light!!

Amici
01-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I saw this forum over at nanoreef.com and thought it was worth sharing. The guy took a HID car headlight kit from Ebay and it only cost 35 per bulb (70 total). The only issue is that he runs it off a car battery and a powersupply is pricey for these.

Now I personally am not electrically inclined enough to wire one of these up but I think it would be a great lighting system for a low profile hood.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140575&st=0

Gwhiz
01-18-2008, 1:07 PM
Very interesting. I'm going to watch and see if they get this working with 110v ballasts. Might be an interesting point source of light to add to my T5's. And I've got a friend who's company handles the factory returns for Hella...hmmmmm.

ericmcj31
01-18-2008, 1:08 PM
seems like someone who knew what they were doing could either:
A-Hookup the battery to a charger, to keep constantly charged--or
B-convert the battery things to a normal plug-in-which I think could be done pretty easily

Amici
01-18-2008, 1:13 PM
Yeah very true. The guy on the thread found a power source that would run it. It seems to me that the heat output is a lot less. I just wonder what the par output is a depth of say 20 inches? If I had the money I would try this on my 16 bow front but I just dont have the money.

Cameron
01-18-2008, 1:50 PM
Any PC power supply should be able to juice that or anything that puts out about 3amps at 12v.

Personally I want a 12" hood that can house one or two of the standard socket 5500k spectrum fluorescent bulbs with an OK reflector. Those bulbs kick butt but I haven't found a good mounting system for them yet. I am currenlty using the $2 clamp light with crap reflector.

Gwhiz
01-18-2008, 1:57 PM
Any PC power supply should be able to juice that or anything that puts out about 3amps at 12v.

Yea...it's the 24amps at startup that needs to be handled.

Amici
01-18-2008, 1:58 PM
OHHHH you are talking about the 5500k bulb that I found at Home Depot that one time? That is a very interesting idea but actinic supplement would be difficult because I had the true PC bulbs from the hobby. Too expensive and dont last long at all.

Amici
01-18-2008, 1:59 PM
Gehhhh that is a very intersting idea that you could achieve the shimmer of a halide without the added heat or electric costs.

Cameron
01-18-2008, 2:04 PM
Yea...it's the 24amps at startup that needs to be handled.400w PC powersupply should be able to handle it at 12v. Maybe do a 500w to be safe.

I don't care about actinic... I just want one for my sump.

Amici
01-18-2008, 2:20 PM
Want the 5500k for the sump? I have those clip on lights on my sump and I cant prune my cheato back fast enough man! Im confused what are you wanting exactly.

Cameron
01-18-2008, 2:23 PM
I would like to find a hood with reflectors that run across the sump which house standard home lighting fixtures. I have the clip on lights, but they don't inspire confidence and I am sure one day it is going to fail and fall into the sump.

Something like this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~ES53124.html

with reflectors and the standard bulb sockets. Cheap and would grow the hell out of pretty much any algae you throw under it.